What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/1 lighting--Any truth or banana in the tail pipe?

Coconutz

Veteran
Has anyone done this from seed?
I had some mass stretching on my first day. Thinking Ill leave them under T5 for a few days.
My clones love 12/2. Ive never had such well structured plants.
I have some bubba and ogs going. We'll see if it hurts the bubbas more than it helps the stretch on the ogs
Will report back if I encounter any issues

Bubba and wifi dont seem to stretch at all after the flip so I dont think I can recommend this for them just yet.
Who knows how it will turn out yet...
The rest of my strains seem to be doing great with it.

Granger2

Veteran
To save energy and to control stretch, I've been using 12/2 for a couple of years. It works really well. I went from 12/1 to 12/2 because some strains bloom a bit more than I'm comfortable with in 12/1. I use it for everything I used to use 18/6 for, rooting, veg, mothers, etc. Last part of veg I go to 12/1, then 12/12. -granger

Mister_D

Veteran
Has anyone done this from seed?
I had some mass stretching on my first day. Thinking Ill leave them under T5 for a few days.
My clones love 12/2. Ive never had such well structured plants.
I have some bubba and ogs going. We'll see if it hurts the bubbas more than it helps the stretch on the ogs
Will report back if I encounter any issues

I did my usual 12/2 on/off cycle for my last batch of seeds (~50 of them). Nothing unusual about any of their growth, just normal vegging.

Kit Kat

After reading through this thread would these statements be accurate?

12/1 with HID lighting = heavy preflowering, and almost no stretch when the hour break is removed - plants go into flowering earlier than expected. Requires at least a month of 12/1 vegging for this to be the case

12/1 with CFL/weak light = no preflowering, and standard budset/stretch times when switched to 12/12 under HID

12/2 with either light type = standard vegging profile with stretch once flipped to flower?

Granger2

Veteran
1st statement-true, but earlier onset of bloom probably measured in days.
2nd statement-No, lots of preflowering
3rd statement-I don't know cuz I have always gone to 12/1 before 12/12, but likely, though strain dependent.
Good luck. -granger

Mister_D

Veteran
1 & 2 - Thread does suggest these are likely correct, but I have no direct experience with either.
3. Yes to both light types (assuming you have correct light levels). I have used 12/2 on ~5 strains I know very well (both hid and fluorescent light sources, separately). There was no noticeable change of any kind in any of them (vs. 24/7 lighting), just a smaller power bill :biggrin:. That is not to say that they're isn't strains that may be affected, just that none of mine were.

Kit Kat

Thanks y'all. I have some larger plants I want to veg under 12/1 HID while I'm off for Christmas with the hopes that when I come back they'll be near the size I'd want after stretch. Doing 12/1 with HID seems the way to go for that to prevent additional stretch.

Coconutz

Veteran
Think I had a clone flower while under 12/2, unless it flowered while in my flower room without roots. The RH is higher in there, but I guess I cant use it for cloning anymore.
I was thinking since it wasnt getting much direct light it went into flower
Should I put it under 18/6 or will it go back into veg under 12/2?
Dont want to lose this one cut out of all my stuff.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I think youre still gonna want to clone with 24 hr lights, at least until they root - longer if the cut was taken in flower.

Coconutz

Veteran
Im just gonna take them out of the flower room and go back to using my counter top, but just while my flower room is off.
I have only used my veg room for 2 hours a day for the past month. Its been great! I just dont like moving the plants around, but its worth the extra savings. I just gotta make some strain selections so I dont have to move so many plants back and forth.
I keep kicking the clones over when Im in the flower room. Luckily they look flawless, just one has some flowering going on.
This freed up some extra cash that I can put into my flower room instead of the veg.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Originally posted by Father Earth

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5345725&postcount=237

I tried this method outdoors in a greenhouse, I must say Mr. Hill is right on point with this one... tighter, more resinous, greater yield. Im certainly going to give it a shot on my indoor and see how it plays out. If you are trying to save a buck on electricity then this obviously isnt for you, personally Ill take the trade off in increased yeilds ...

Although I do agree that having a shorter daytime cycle than 18/6 is beneficial for the strains Im running as the plants often look way tired of this rather quickly. Shortening the cycle by 2 hours 16/8 made a huge difference in leaf appearance and overall growth seemed to pick up. For now Im sticking with it, Ill let you know how the increase in light hours for the last weeks of flowering plays out indoors.

FE,
Keep us informed about what you discover. Thanks. -granger

Forgot to report back. All I can say is it was a great turnout. Im extending the light cycle again this next run. Only this time I will have a 2nd room running the regular cycle to see if Im really getting anything extra. If you want to know how it turned out see my album: Big Soil, Little Room. Or search for the thread..results: 6kw HPS = 15+ lbs of dense and heavily frosted funk.
Im sticking to the script after that one :) The amount of amazing soil used,probably made a difference as well.. :p

FE

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mister_D

Veteran
FWIW I use 12/2 for everything in the veg room, that includes unrooted cuttings and freshly germinated seeds. Again no difference from 24/7 lighting other than the power bill.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Again no difference from 24/7 lighting other than the power bill

And the fact that your girls sleep at night and have a more balanced plant chemistry than 24/7 tweeker plants. 24/7 lighting makes for tired looking plants with less vigor. My veg times are excellent running 16/8. My girls appreciate their beauty rest and repay me with praying leaves and vigorous growth.

My 2,

FE

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Still new to the 12/1 cycle, but i'm not seeing any abnormalities in growth with 9 different polyhybrids and F1's from seed. Vegetative growth is developing at a moderate rate compared to 16/8, but that works great for now. Probably closer to 12/2 actually. Smell seems a bit more developed, however there is no reference point since these plants are all new to me. They seem to be showing gender when appropriate. No signs of intergender traits so far. Will report back with more information.
thanks for all the contributions

I also keep plants in vegetative for at least 60-100 days from seed as i feel this allows them to develop more fully and express traits that i might have missed otherwise.

father earth that room looks great. great

Mr Orange

Been doing 12/1 for ~ 1 year now the main reason being reduced electric bills. I've noticed that some genetics tend to start flowering if environment isn't quite right (too dry, pests or other stressing factors). I'm running perpertual and keep my clones in the same room and everything runs smoothly as f**k. Flowering is constant 11/13 but i'm going to try 10/14 soon.

This is the way to go. No turning back for me.

I tried 12/1 but was much happier with 12/2. Promordial flowering was much reduced. At 12/1 I was seeing too many primordial pistils despite the continuing veg.

Latest posts

Latest posts