What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Environmental Impacts on Phenotype in Cannabis sativa

Cannabologist

Veteran
- This information is going to come mainly from memory and anecdotally, but I am sure others can relate to what the concept I am eliciting. Note that I am placing these concepts in general terms for discussion, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

- The scope of this idea has become much more solidifying after reading over the recent New Zealand study (The Scrog study.. Can’t remember the name) and their investigation of hydroponic cultivation and Cannabis.

- In particular what I found interesting were among the individual plants from clone, the discrepancy in individual cannabinoid levels from crop to crop.

- As we know, factors like yield, taste, and cannabinoid levels are controlled both by genetic factors fundamentally, and environmental factors. What I found surprising was the degree to which environmental factors can impact something like cannabinoid level, such as THC levels in particular.

- It appeared to me based on this data that in general terms, an individual plant will have a genetically determined “average” level that can be obtained; so for instance, if one plots THC level on a scale from 0% to 30% (which is the minimum and about the maximum THC % obtainable that studies have shown), one can break up that scale into 0%-9.99% (10%) as being low, 10%-20% as being medium, and 20%-30% as being high on the scale.

- The other factor that popped out to me from this data, was that this “average” genetically determined level is strongly influenced by environmental factors, which seemed to be about in the range of 10 percentage points up and down per individual on this scale. In other words, for an individual with the natural genetic inclination for high THC, poorly grown will obtain around 20% as is it’s genetic predetermination, but grown well can allow for “full” phenotypic expression and obtain up to as high as 30% THC.
- And as one can see, even a discrepancy of 3% to 5% is actually very large, and there would be a big difference in Cannabis that is 3% THC or 9% THC, even though the samples come from the same individual cultivar. And again, when considering a difference between 10% THC, or 15%, or even 20% and 25%, that is a big difference, with just a (seemingly) simple combination of factors that make up ‘environment’ being a strong influence on this THC level that can be obtained from any particular individual plant.

- I have made other investigations into Cannabis nutrient levels based off of various tissue analysis, what is a “proper” level of nutrients/elements, and when the plant seems to use more or less (to try and garner ideas about ratios and amounts of fertilizer I want to use in my soil and for top dressing). I can say preliminary that high N, K, and Ca should be maintained, with P levels about half to even a third of those levels, more on par with the amount of Mg (If I remember correctly, don’t have the notes in front of me). Also, a P/K boost is probably useful around week 5, but of course, much more K than P is required (based on what tissue analysis seems to tell us....). I have been making and testing out some soil mixes that follow along these ideas of high N and K vs P, as well as testing some VERY hot, nutrient rich soil mixes, to see what happens. I am trying to kill plants by overdoing it lol. But this is in response to being largely disappointed with the LC mix 1 with amendment 1 (bone+ blood), it runs out of nutrients, especially N and Ca, much too quickly.

- Of course for any individual or population this range/scale I am using will vary according to that individual, but I am throwing out these ideas in general terms of mind off of this recent data. What this all means in summary, is that environment has a strong impact on phenotypic expression of any particular individual. Growers should be inclined to perhaps try and work on improving individual environmental conditions to their optimum for that particular individual plant so as to maximize phenotypic expression and obtain the full potential that individual plant can achieve (if their results with a particular plant or strain are not what was expected or desired) (before they decide to do away with a particular strain).

Discuss!

Sabertooth Phar

CB,

No disrespect on the abbreviation. It’s just easier to get to the meat of the subject. :tiphat:

I would love to debate this with you and others. It is one of the most vital parts of growing that we really have control over. You have some very interesting opinions. Can I wait a day or two to enter your discussion while I deal with a parasite infection?:dunno: Thank you.

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
Why do you think Bedrocam BV and GW Pharm didn't find these discrepancies?

Can we please post the study you're referring to?

spurr

Veteran
cannabologist said:
The scope of this idea has become much more solidifying after reading over the recent New Zealand study (The Scrog study.. Can’t remember the name) and their investigation of hydroponic cultivation and Cannabis.

Can we please post the study you're referring to?

Hey buddy,

Here ya go, I believe this is the New Zealand study Cannabologist referenced. Disable JavaScript before downloading the study: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4056513&postcount=8

:tiphat:

MrFista

Veteran
Well... 3 grows, one of 6 plants with two obvious phenotypes, 2nd grow all from clones off one of the first plants, third grow from plants seized elsewhere...

Spider mites, nute burn, only getting 1.5 lb in a bedroom sized grow over 17 weeks... Rubbish growers!

This was interesting "Grow 1 plants exhibited a greater level of genetic diversity, with up to three different alleles seen at two of the loci (ANUC302 and ANUC303). A single plant (plant 6) exhibited a unique profile with three alleles seen at two of the loci (ANUC302 and ANUC303). This genotype was reproducibly obtained from multiple samples of plant 6 leaf material, with those triallelic loci exhibiting peaks of approximately equal height. These observations along with the absence of additional peaks at the remaining loci support the conclusion that this profile is not due to cross-contamination.

The triallelic pattern is suggestive of polyploidy, where multiple copies of the genome are present, a situation common in plants with no adverse effects. Whilst Cannabis is largely diploid, genotypes have previously been reported exhibiting up to four alleles at a single locus, suggestive of polyploidy. Other explanations of multi-allele patterns include locus duplication and aneuploidy."

Angiosperm evolution is thought to be largely influenced from whole genome duplications (WGD). It appears they had a triploid plant with evidence of a WGD right under their nose but failed to see the significance of what they'd found.

What happens is a diploid undergoes WGD and becomes tetraploid, then the tetraploid crosses with another diploid and offspring are triploid.

Triploids that undergo WGD in the past are thought to have brought about a hexaploidy event (about 200 million years ago). Evidence of this can be found in grapes, arabidopsis, poplar, and many more.

MrFista

Veteran
Read the article wrong. They got some good yields after all. One plant with around 40 plus oz's. So for amateurs they certainly did allright.

spurr

Veteran
- In particular what I found interesting were among the individual plants from clone, the discrepancy in individual cannabinoid levels from crop to crop.

- As we know, factors like yield, taste, and cannabinoid levels are controlled both by genetic factors fundamentally, and environmental factors. What I found surprising was the degree to which environmental factors can impact something like cannabinoid level, such as THC levels in particular.

To my understanding, chemotype (esp. before flowering; re ratio of cannabinoid to cannabinoid) is mostly controlled by genetics, genotypic. And individual cannabinoid levels (esp. in flowering) are mostly controlled by environmental variables, phenotypic.

pahval

Does anyone, for the love of growing, have that research paper to share? There is no file on server...

Cannabologist

Veteran
Does anyone, for the love of growing, have that research paper to share? There is no file on server...
You could probably google scholar it then grab it free if it isn't already using sci-hub.

I'm sure I have it deep in my giant library somewhere...

It's an "old" paper at this point, with horticultural knowledge that is well known.... Ie. grow pot in these optimal parameters, and it'll likely grow to it's optimum potential... Don't do that, and you will impact yield, quality, etc.

What are these parameters? Mostly all well established things at this point, like temps of 70-85F, humidity of 45-50%, adding CO2, nutrient regimes, but also drying/curing processes, etc.

TBH it's 2020 weed is legal now and a lot of the academic questions we had of the past have been answered :cathug: