What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Genomes Suggest the Plant Originated in East Asia

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
“We unraveled the geographic origin of the cultivation of cannabis (East Asia), the date (early Neolithic), and the presence of a cannabis genetic lineage unknown to date, distinct from the one that gave rise to the hemp and marijuana varieties distributed worldwide, and probably still similar to the early domesticated common ancestor of all these lineages” . . .

"Though previously a matter of debate, cannabis researchers have largely reached consensus that cannabis is comprised of just one species—Cannabis sativa—and this research corroborates that idea. So if you hear someone refer to indica, they’re still talking about a Cannabis sativa plant."

The news story on Gizmodo: Cannabis Genomes Suggest the Plant Originated in East Asia

And the study: Large-scale whole-genome resequencing unravels the domestication history of Cannabis sativa

bibi40

Sure !
Indica , ruderalis and what we call " sativa " should be consider like subspecies of cannabis sativa :headbange
it' s just like humanity with differents races and ethnicity ...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I don't feel it advantageous to stop labeling them differently. Though what do I really mean by Indica? There is another school of thought that revolves around leaf width. Dividing plant into the groups of narrow leaf or broad leaf. I like the traditional notion that I think most share. Where a broad leafed plant that's done in 8 or 9 weeks is called Indica. While a narrow leaf wanting 14 weeks is a Sat. With some crossover through breeding. While 6-8 week plants likely have some Rude traits, which can go as far as automatic.

All very open to opinion, if non actually exist.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
The naming is just semantics. The genomes are telling the real story. It all started with a 'basal' cannabis that splintered into hemp and the drug plant sometime around ~12,000 years B.P.. Even our Neolithic ancestors liked to have fun . . . :rasta:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I wonder when the name Sativa was used. It sounds Latin to me. Not 12,000 year old Chinese. I'm guessing it was split into drug and fiber cultivars, long before. They speak for a drug cultivar going feral again in the Indian mountains (I think) While to me, Latin seems quite modern.

Fuck, how old am I. Modern?

Ralph W. Llama

Here are the ‘graphs that jumped out to me.

“Interesting insights were hidden in the genes of the hemp and marijuana groups, which both lost functional genes that had been present in their multipurpose ancestors as a result of their increasingly specialized use as either a fiber source or as a psychoactive substance.”

What did we lose that was important, if anything?

“Perhaps the biggest surprise, however, was the discovery of the Basal group, which includes 14 feral plants and landraces collected in China and two feral plants from the United States that likely migrated across the ocean sometime in the 19th century.

“An unexpected result was the presence of this Basal genetic group, which did not comprise any of the domesticated plants we consider today as Cannabis sativa (hemp or marijuana),” Fumagalli said. “It’s a bit like discovering a dog breed unknown to date and genetically independent from the genetic cluster grouping all dog breeds described today worldwide.”

What is in this group that we might be missing?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
What is in this group that we might be missing?

We should issue a challenge to archeologists, botanical researchers et al . . . find us physical proof of that plant, possibly fossilized, preserved in frozen tundra or better yet . . . find us a big amber-like chunk of cannabis resin from that plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts