What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Electroculture - The return of physics to agriculture

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Electricity may be the ultimate ripening nutrient. Just a thought. I think that applying electricity to water (highly conductive) is more efficient than putting electrodes in the soil.
February 10, 2017

Peter de Jaeger

Photo: Plant-e

Plants can also grow without light, is the belief of David Strik. The Wageningen environmental technologist has been awarded a grant to prove that plants need electricity.

Plant-e-modulair-systeem-3-300x229.jpg
Electrosynthesis could become of great significance for world food production. Photo: Plant-eGrowing plants without light, but with electricity. That is David Strik's aim. He received an Open Mind grant from the Foundation for Technical Sciences for this idea. 'You can use it to produce food anywhere, without agricultural land,' says Strik, who uses the grant, worth 50,000 euros, to prove that it is possible with co-inventor and student Mathijs van der Zwart.

Plants use sunlight to grow, but you can replace light as an energy source with electricity, the inventors thought. Photosynthesis then becomes electrosynthesis.

The system runs like electrolysis: with an anode and a cathode. After energy is added to the anode, released electrons flow to the cathode, which contains bacteria or other organisms. With those electrons as an energy source, the bacteria grow, which will produce all kinds of substances. 'We have already succeeded with bacteria that make acetic acid,' says Strik. 'We hope to do the same now with algae and later with seaweed, which can deliver high-quality products. It always has to be in an aqueous environment to allow the electrons to flow.'

Nature already adds electricity to rainwater through lightning, which is possibly why it makes it better than any other kind of water for plant growth.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I grew a bud with a mix of photons and electrons. It was outstanding beside the many controls. Not using any light at all is a step though.

50,000 Euros? I got a teenth lol

Shame they will grow more Quorn. Fusarium. Whatever you want to call it. Photon production doesn't seem to get far past 50% efficient though.

Max Headroom

Veteran
interesting... i think i first read about something like that in "The Secret Life Of Plants" (Tompkins & Bird, 1973) if memory serves.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

A few decades back an inspirational character known as 20'Thai demonstrated growing in darkness using this technique. I used to enjoy 20'Thai's posts and input from his expanded consciousness.
This looks really interesting and thanks for sharing.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Talkin soil? Rainwater has some extra Oxygen in the form of H2O2, and people put H2O2 in their garden water, waiting to shed that extra Oxygen atom. O+ is another ion. Ions are electrical, and that is how the nutes move via the cations.

I have a pH probe that will go way down to 4 or lower in soil that is pH to 7 or higher, when a plant is in the soil growing and the ions are exchanging. I call it sparking, and this is just a guess at what is going on. Plant dies, spark does too. None of the soil vendors I use knows a thing about this phenom. BTW, the reason I like the soil damp is so these ions can do their thing in the electrolyte, just like a battery.

Does the electrical thing work on dry soil? Like the OP...

' It always has to be in an aqueous environment to allow the electrons to flow.'

When people say to dry out your soil to let the microbes do their thing, I cringe.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
A few decades back an inspirational character known as 20'Thai demonstrated growing in darkness using this technique. I used to enjoy 20'Thai's posts and input from his expanded consciousness.
This looks really interesting and thanks for sharing.
That's nothing. These guys have grown some bacteria ;)

G

The south pole promotes plant and bacterial growth. Mythologies dating back thousands of years are based on our polar reality. The South pole, has always been synonymous with the right hand of God,the dynamic input.

200px-VFPt_dipole_electric.svg.png

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Electroculture

Electric stimulation could be the ultimate fertilizer for the high of the plant.

Electrical stimulation of plants for better agriculture

Emilia Obłuska
15 June 2020

Why is this important? According to the researchers, electrical stimulation of plants, i.e. providing them with delicate electrical impulses, can induce the activation of ion channels and ion transport, gene expression, activation of enzymatic systems, accelerate the repair of damaged cells, enhance plant movement and affect their growth [1].
Enhancing gene expression may be the real secret to electrical stimulation of water and soil.

A decade and a half ago, before I knew what I was doing or keep a plant alive, I grew a set of plants of various strains, which turned out to be extremely potent. All the strains had their personality expressed in a very clear manner.

Tanzanian Magic, African Seeds Company - transportive high, starting with a electrical body high, which then migrates and becomes a mindblowing head high, extremely hallucinogenic.
B-52, Nirvana - '8-Miles High' psychedelic experience, looking at the earth with people walking around like ants.
Blue Mystic, Nirvana - a philosopher's stone kind of high, looking into a crystal ball and seeing the universe.

I've been trying to find out what happened ever since. One thing was that I was using a zink watering can. Even though zink is only moderately electrically conductive, I think it was collecting environmental electricity from rainstorms and lightning.

Also, plants grow really well under power lines, which indicates that electricity from the air plays a role in plant growth.

Electroculture seems to be best preserved in countries that have managed to stay away from the Rockefeller, oil based chemical agricultual practices - France, Belgium, Poland.

Yannick van Doorne

1 hour Electroculture introduction by Yannick Van Doorne Andrea Donnoli and David Wechsler - ENGLISH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQY2olfRoa0

Electrical stimulation of plants and agricultural water may go back to the Copper Age (at least the 4th-3rd millennium BC), and may be the ultimate purpose of the Pyramids.

James Ernest Brown and his Fire In The Middle:

During Brown’s first visit to Egypt numerous mineral samples were analyzed that revealed large amounts of sodium chloride present inside the pyramid and passageways, and hydrogen gas had been present in the so-called Queen’s Chamber. Recently, a man-made tunnel was discovered under the Giza Plateau; Egyptian news articles claimed the tunnel connects the Great Pyramid to the Nile. In ancient times water from the River Nile would have coursed through the Great Pyramid, and through a powerful chemical process created what Brown calls Earthmilk, “electrified water.” Brown believes this enhanced elixir served many purposes, including enlivening the human body and flowing back into the river to enrich animal life and to energize the soil at the time of the Nile’s annual innundation.

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/4867...or-endorsement
More about electroculture:

Hemp Husbandry
Robert A. Nelson

"The application of electricity, magnetism, monochrome light, and sound can stimulate the growth of plants to a great extent. This little-known technology, called Electro-culture, can accelerate growth rates, increase yields, and improve crop quality. Electro-culture can protect plants from diseases, insects and frost. These methods also can reduce the requirements for fertilizer or pesticides. Farmers can grow bigger and better crops in less time, with less effort, and at a lower cost."

https://www.hempbasics.com/hhusb/hh5elc.htm

Electroculture, by Justin Etienne Chrisofleau, online free. Electromagnetic antennae to fertilize entire rows. The physicists around here should check into it.

https://www.electrocultureandmagnet...ctroculture_1927_-_doc_yannick_van_doorne.pdf

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Just a few thoughts - the electromagnetic field of the earth (which for instance makes compass needles point north wherever you are) may interact with paramagnetic soil, which is very fertile.

This article states that magnetism most influences root growth.

(Frontiers In Plant Science) Magnetic field effects on plant growth, development, and evolution
Massimo E. Maffei*
Department of Life Sciences and Systems Biology, Innovation Centre, University of Turin, Turin, Italy

Introduction​

A magnetic field (MF) is an inescapable environmental factor for plants on the Earth. During the evolution process, all living organisms experienced the action of the Earth's MF (geomagnetic, GMF), which is a natural component of their environment. GMF is steadily acting on living systems, and is known to influence many biological processes. There are significant local differences in the strength and direction of the earth's magnetic (geomagnetic) field. At the surface of the earth, the vertical component is maximal at the magnetic pole, amounting to about 67 μT and is zero at the magnetic equator. The horizontal component is maximal at the magnetic equator, about 33 μT, and is zero at the magnetic poles (Kobayashi et al., 2004). A MF is usually measured in terms of its magnetic induction B whose unit is given in Tesla (T), defined as:

T=V∙sm2=Wbm2=N∙sc∙mT=V•sm2=Wbm2=N•sc•m

The dimension of the “magnetic flux” (φ) in SI units is Weber (Wb) (φ = Tm2 = Wb).
Conclusion and Perspectives

Revealing the relationships between MF and plant responses is becoming more and more important as new evidence reveals the ability of plants to perceive and respond quickly to varying MF by altering their gene expression and phenotype. The recent implications of MF reversal with plant evolution opens new horizons not only in plant science but also to the whole biosphere, from the simplest organisms to human beings.

Magnetotactic bacteria are a diverse group of microorganisms with the ability to orient and migrate along GMF lines (Yan et al., 2012); the avian magnetic compass has been well-characterized in behavioral tests (Ritz et al., 2009); magnetic alignment, which constitutes the simplest directional response to the GMF, has been demonstrated in diverse animals including insects, amphibians, fish, and mammals (Begall et al., 2013); concerns of possible biological effects of environmental EMFs on the basis of the energy required to rotate the small crystals of biogenic magnetite that have been discovered in various human tissues have been discussed (Kobayashi and Kirschvink, 1995). The overall picture is thus a general effect of GMF on life forms.

Life evolved on Earth along changes in the GMF life-history. Any other environment lacking a GMF is expected to generate reactions in living organisms. These concerns becomes urgent questions in light of planned long-term flights to other planets (Belyavskaya, 2004). Understanding GMF effects on life will provide the fundamental background necessary to understand evolution of life forms in our planet and will help us to develop scientific recommendations for design of life-support systems and their biotic components for future space exploration.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The paramagnetic bacteria is rather interesting...

I wonder about repeat results with the magnet and galvanized wire method. Initially it sounds like iron and zinc poor soil being amended with galvanized wire. I see the hit or miss aspect depending heavily on soil biology and soil hydrodynamics. I'm open to both :)

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Two from The Seed Kompany touches on this subject in his episode of The Pot Cast. I forget who else it was, but I read about some early 1900s experiments augmenting plant growth using magnetic fields. Later on the topic was pigeonholed as "crackpot science" so its probably career suicide to try and research it in academia.
My own suspicion it that works by bombarding plants with electrons accelerated to the point that they carry the same momentum as photosynthetic photons, giving the plants the effective equivalent of more light. I ran the numbers once and it turns out that the velocity an electron would need to be a substitute for photosynthetic range photons isn't all that great. Photosynthesis is a quantum process, it happens one photon at a time, one CO2 molecule at a time. The photon has just the right momentum/energy to create the new chemical bond, but any particle of similar momentum should work just the same as a photon would.

fukkin magnets.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
According to James Ernest Brown, there is an angle to the pyramids that generates electromagnetism (flow of atoms in an ocean of photons).

This is not the Amazon jungle, this is in the province of Utrecht, in the Netherlands, and the Pyramid of Austerlitz, a local monument from the Napoleonic days. It even has an obelisk at the top.

1683714570441.png

And after restoration:
1683714633611.png

Some background - rightclick if you use Chrome, and select 'Translate to English'.

X15

This may not be the spot for this but…
Has anyone else noticed this?
Often I use a heat mat when growing out clones. After the clones have set roots and I transfer them to soil in solo cups I will keep them over a heat mat for a little while. The heat may probe will be placed in one of the cups… pushed down into the soil.
Here’s what I noticed…. Whatever cup I put that probe in 99 percent of the time, that plant will grow faster with more vigor than the others. Am I just trippin? Anyone else notice this?

I don’t think the probe is fckd up and shorting out or anything like that. I’ve always found it so interesting.

Fallocefalo

420club
Here's the last research on electroculture updated on PubMed last December 26th

Very intresting thread and research, exited to know your thoughts about!

stunkfrunk

Sound is something I've experimented with in the past. The 432hz and 528 hz in particular stimulate the plants in that environment. I think it affects water molecules too. Lot's of scope for experimentation as some oscillation's will vibrate the plants to the eye. Some frequencies are also detrimental to the plants health.

Reactions: X15