What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil: From sand to soil (humus formation) using bacteria (Amazing informative video)

Cvh

Supermod
Hi guys,

Watch the following video if you're interested in seeing how bacteria can transform sand into humus rich soil.

Cheers and good vibes.

Cvh

Supermod
Another great video about soil and soil dynamics how soil is formed.

​​​​​​

Great outdoors

These are good videos for all the pseudo organic growers and their "super soil" with peat as a base and no mineral elements besides maybe a smidgen of rock dust.
Real organic soil needs a healthy mix of mineral elements and organic material.

rod58

Just wonderful . i grow vegetables organically , in a small way, for local sale . Every 2-3 weeks i mix 1000ltrs of water with worm castings , seaweed solution , molasses and some potash which i then spray over my garden . the activity is now measurable . the soil has turned mostly black and has become very soft . nitrogen has become very available in a way that plants just love . any straw i put down as mulch disappears very quickly . ya gotta love microbes !!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Just wonderful . i grow vegetables organically , in a small way, for local sale . Every 2-3 weeks i mix 1000ltrs of water with worm castings , seaweed solution , molasses and some potash which i then spray over my garden . the activity is now measurable . the soil has turned mostly black and has become very soft . nitrogen has become very available in a way that plants just love . any straw i put down as mulch disappears very quickly . ya gotta love microbes !!

And worms, and killer red mites, and fungus, and humus, and ... when the soil is working, just good clean water (and for my picky azz, also with the right pH).

rod58

Another great video about soil and soil dynamics how soil is formed.

​​​​​​

another great video Cvh , where i live , western australia , it's the oldest bit of ..land , can't call it soil ,on the planet ! as a lad i worked and farmed in what we call the wheatbelt . 16-17 inch rainfall and we cleared millions of acres between us all and then there wasn't any topsoil , we as farmers made what we have today and we became some of the best farmers in the world because of those challengers . but ,.. as in the vid the lack of rainfall , plus clearing has increased our salt affected land by shitloads . but gradually , by better farming practices , no till , minimal till and deep ripping and leaving all the residue on top , our soils are slowly becoming "soils " , mainly caused by the prolification of the wonderous microbes . we still have lots of salt affected land though ..
as in those videos our dirt was just quartz , limestone sand and rock and in my lifetime , well the last 50 years , things have improved incredibly so ,..and on that same rainfall amount . some now in the more marginal areas , 8-10 inches , are producing some real good paying crops ! tis a wonderous thing !

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hi guys,

Watch the following video if you're interested in seeing how bacteria can transform sand into humus rich soil.

Cheers and good vibes.

Fantastic post my friend, thank you!
peace farmerlion