What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BOMBAYCAT grows autos

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
At first I was not going to do a winter indoor grow, but I decided to try some Autos after talking to aridbud. I ordered some seeds and he also very generously gave me some afterthought autos seeds with good genetics that were untested.

First up is "Shimmer". This is a smaller plant and should do well in my basement this winter. I really like the leaves and the plant structure. The seeds soaked in water overnight, and now are in paper towel with a seed sprouting heat pad.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At first I was not going to do a winter indoor grow, but I decided to try some Autos after talking to aridbud. I ordered some seeds and he also very generously gave me some afterthought autos seeds with good genetics that were untested.

First up is "Shimmer". This is a smaller plant and should do well in my basement this winter. I really like the leaves and the plant structure. The seeds soaked in water overnight, and now are in paper towel with a seed sprouting heat pad.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84964&pictureid=2098609&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Bravo, BOMBAY!

What a fun ride you'll be on!

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Day 10 - The seeds have been busy germinating. So far I have 6 of 8 sprouted. I decided to plant the last seed though. So after soaking in water, it hit the dirt today. I germ them in Solo cups and move them into the final 3 gallon pots after a few days. These Shimmer are tough little plants though. I dropped a Solo (with soil less and soaked seed) and spilled out some dirt. I just scooped up and replaced the dirt and figured that one was lost. It germinated and the plant looks OK. I will take some pictures in 10 days and should have good little plants by then. Right now they are just the typical looking sprouts.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 10 - The seeds have been busy germinating. So far I have 6 of 8 sprouted. I decided to plant the last seed though. So after soaking in water, it hit the dirt today. I germ them in Solo cups and move them into the final 3 gallon pots after a few days. These Shimmer are tough little plants though. I dropped a Solo (with soil less and soaked seed) and spilled out some dirt. I just scooped up and replaced the dirt and figured that one was lost. It germinated and the plant looks OK. I will take some pictures in 10 days and should have good little plants by then. Right now they are just the typical looking sprouts.

Look forward to seeing your little forest. Vegetative stage is likened to watching paint dry. Slow progress; once past puberty, SheZammmm! Daily morphing. Good luck, BOMBAY!

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Day 20 - 6 of 8 seeds germed. So which one do you think is female? I'm betting the middle one as she is more stocky and the nodes are packed. The little crinkle at the leaf edge has me wondering. They are trying to get away from the light so I moved the light higher a couple inches. I don't think it is wind burn from the fan. The other plants are less developed so I left them in the grow room. One is almost a runt so I might need to cull him and the other males when I see preflowers. I deal with plant limits so I am thinking I will germinate another variety so I get my females.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I looked at the pics...any or all could be female. Don't worry about the leaf crinkle...could be an anomaly.Keep on growing them! Yeah, pitch any small/runty looking.

Addendum: That leaf crinkle could be from fan blowing directly on them. Does your fan allow for general air circulation?

Keep on growing. Excited to see male: female ratio.

Last edited:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
26 day update
A male is on the Left and a female on the right. The final count is 3 males, 2 females, and one not enough developed to pre-sex. I really like these autos because things happen right away. Instead of waiting weeks and weeks for photos to presex, these almost start right away. I am going to cull the males to get my plant count up. I am going to sprout them this time in peat pots and use Solo cups for sleeves so they don't dry out so fast. I think these Shimmer will foxtail so I can get the yield up.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85138&pictureid=2105663&thumb=1]View Image[/url] 26 day update
A male is on the Left and a female on the right. The final count is 3 males, 2 females, and one not enough developed to pre-sex. I really like these autos because things happen right away. Instead of waiting weeks and weeks for photos to presex, these almost start right away. I am going to cull the males to get my plant count up. I am going to sprout them this time in peat pots and use Solo cups for sleeves so they don't dry out so fast. I think these Shimmer will foxtail so I can get the yield up.

Looks great, BOMBAY! Keep em growing and going.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
7 week update on Shimmer

7 week update on Shimmer

They look like they are starting to finish. The Pistils are browning but the Trics are still milky. The plants have a nice strong sandal wood smell to them so I have hopes. The Ruderalis in the genetics is strong stuff. I was culling males and put them outside on the patio. A cold wave came through that night and dropped an inch of snow. The males looked so sad I brought them inside to melt the snow.Three hours later the snow was melted and the plants looked fine.

Gotta give a shout out to Arid Bud. I was having trouble germing his Cord Verde with the paper towel method. He said some brands of paper towel have way too much acid in them from the bleaching process. I checked some rinse water from the paper towel and it was down to 6.1. Arid Bud is even sending more seeds to replace the ones I screwed up.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They look like they are starting to finish. The Pistils are browning but the Trics are still milky. The plants have a nice strong sandal wood smell to them so I have hopes. The Ruderalis in the genetics is strong stuff. I was culling males and put them outside on the patio. A cold wave came through that night and dropped an inch of snow. The males looked so sad I brought them inside to melt the snow.Three hours later the snow was melted and the plants looked fine.

Gotta give a shout out to Arid Bud. I was having trouble germing his Cord Verde with the paper towel method. He said some brands of paper towel have way too much acid in them from the bleaching process. I checked some rinse water from the paper towel and it was down to 6.1. Arid Bud is even sending more seeds to replace the ones I screwed up.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85377&pictureid=2112673&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

HOLY COW, BOMBAYCAT!!! I'd say they look fabulous! Now you know the intricacies of autos.

And cool about snow, and the resilience of the males!

Milky trichs with just a hint of amber (10%) is how I like mine! Mmmmm! Thew more amber, the more couch-lock sensation.More than 50% amber, the plant is slowly heading downhill. If it's the SHIMMER, it's about ready to chop!

They look great BOMBAY! High five!
And thanks for your kind words.

Harvest at BOMBAYCAT'S house! :canabis:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Shimmer just before chop

Shimmer just before chop

Nine week update. The Shimmer is into senescence now so I am going to chop. There are a few amber trics but the Pistils are only 50% brown. The old Hippy way was to harvest when the Pistils are 80% brown. I don't like a heavy MMJ anymore because of the hangover the next day so I am hoping this is about right. They fill the basement with a strong weedy smell and I am hoping for more incense/perfume after the cure. On with the dry and cure as I am impatient to smoke test them.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great job, BOMBAY! Yes, a smoke report after curing would be wonderful!

Harbor Freight has inexpensive loupes for under $4.00. Or they have the on eBay/Amazon, etc.

This compact loupe set from HF features 2x, 3x, 5x, 7x and 10x magnifying loupes. It offers a whole new experience of watching trichomes change!

Bigger yield with larger containers (3.5-5 gallon) will; amp up your game. Some growers just want ample medicine for their pantry.

Attachments

• when-to-harvest_1_1 (1).jpg
    when-to-harvest_1_1 (1).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20190127_101133 (1).jpg
    20190127_101133 (1).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 91

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Shimmer smoke test

Shimmer smoke test

Finally. It has only been a few days in the jar, but I couldn't wait longer.

Trimming was a dream because I was not wrestling with a big Photo. The buds were firm and a little sticky. They were hybred shaped. When cutting off the buds there was an earthy, woody smell with a touch of fuel in the room. After being in the jar the smell was piney.

The smoke made my head/ears feel warmish whatever that means. The high was decent but not overpowering and lasted me over 45 minutes which is average. I've only had a couple varieties which lasted 90 minutes and I paid for it with a hangover the next day. I am a lightweight and can't deal with a knockout couchlock Indica. The high started out a sneaker and quickly rose to the crest and then gradually tapered off. I had no hangover. My only wish is it had more of an incense smell when burned. I will grow this one again.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finally[!]..........

Trimming was a dream because I was not wrestling with a big Photo. The buds were firm and a little sticky. When cutting off the buds there was an earthy, woody smell with a touch of fuel in the room. After being in the jar the smell was piney.
I am a lightweight and can't deal with a knockout couchlock Indica. The high started out a sneaker and quickly rose to the crest and then gradually tapered off. ....... My only wish is it had more of an incense smell when burned. I will grow this one again.

Bravo, BOMBAY!
Sounds like a good experience and now you know how to grow autos. Well done, sir!

Keep up the growing & showing! That NL pic looked great!

Enjoy your SHIMMER! Incense....mmmmmm, I'm not sure. I always tasted a woodsy type, earthy exhale. Possibly with a bit more cure, "resting" it as chefs do for meats to retain the juices. Or simply enjoy fruits of your labor! ;o)

Indeed, SHIMMER during COVID. You can't go wrong!

Latest posts

Latest posts