What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sweet Spot for Autos

those fabric containers look like they just might be the thing philostoned

I agree, and they're inexpensive...I wish Radicle Bags made a tall pot with dimensions like these...I enjoy the results of the non-absorbant fabric pots...it's definitely worth a run and I can always sew my own with that PVC-coated vinyl mesh, if need be (even less expensive).

djibra

So I've been thinking a lot lately on what the sweet spot would be on container size for most autoflower strains...I know a general rule of thumb for photoperiods is a gallon per month of total growth, autoflowers are generally 60-120 days of growth which is 2-4 months of total growth...so does that mean that you won't get any extra yield exceeding 4 gals, or at least hit a point of diminishing returns when it comes to soil volume vs. floor space vs. yield? Or is there some other mitigating factor I'm not considering? My thoughts are using Superroots Air-Pot #5's would suffice to get me a close to max yield without eating up/wasting floor space (they are supposed to be 5 gal equivalent, by virtue of design, but actually hold 3.3 gal) am I going to see an increase in yield worth the grow space going bigger than that or would the gains be negligible?

although we all know it bigger root bigger fruits.. but autoflowers dont have enough time do develop that big root system like photoperiod plants.. that said i thik 11-18l pots are ideal-depending on you space and plant count.. airpots or regular..no topping , no transplant just a little lst to spread her out.. little lollipoping and you’re good ;)

thats a sweet spot for me with autos ;)

:tiphat:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
what ? do not have time ? no ... they have time, they do not give you a second chance to correct your mistake in that 2-4 weeks period.. this is not the same.. excuse to yourself they have no time ? no, you have no skills to adapt and satisfy their needs .
and blame the plants for being gnomes.. this is what happens usually.

Vesnican

Vesnican did you make a ditch for the pots ?or it s an optical illusion ?

Good eyes Whip! They went so tall, that I have to dig a ditch to hide them from nonwelcomed sights. Urban legend genetics + guide for maximum yields (incl. tall 20l pots) = Jungle!

:plant grow:

TrillOG

I've had single planted autos reach the bottom of a five gallon paint bucketdont know if that's the initial tap root, or over all growth. When I let the soil dry out the last couple days. I could pull the whole five gallons of dirt up by the remaining stalk.. ive only grown autos a hand full of times so maybe it was the genetics, but it was the case with all of the larger plants..

Dr.King

Veteran
They been using them over on AFN for a hot min. Nice found though. Dude got a 1000g flowering auto ultimate over there a while back, crazy. Few of them got like 600g + ones also.

Dr.King

Veteran
I gotta start checking out AFN...I just now started getting into autos.

Yeah it's a pretty good place to go for autos. They have pretty crazy info over there. I started running some autos myself because I saw how much people where starting to pull and how potent they are coming now. Seems like most people are running Mephisto Genetics now because of yield and potency. They are getting any where from 3-4 plus zips a plant under a 600 watt LED light with those genetics. They are ranging in the 20+ THC now also. Some of the Meph's ones finish within 8-10 weeks. Also running some Ace autos to see how the potency compare to Mephisto Genetics and will run my free Seedsman autos I got with my purchase for comparison. Happy growing as always.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't overlook afterthought autos! I've had some really potent plants from them and with all the extras, it's always a great deal.

Appreciate your high five, MW! Post your pics here, if you like, or in Seed Bay Private Breeders section.

Finishing our season w/ mix results, yet, happy....more than happy with what we toiled and finished.
Going to have to explore or spray chile water during seed stage to thwart either worms or moths that looooove drilling holes in seeds. Tsk. Since we plant in high desert forest and closer to Ponderosa pines, wondering if that's p[art of the problem.

Anyway, new gear for the year!!

Sweet Spot indoors- best light, environment, medium you can afford! Now is not the time to skimp on ingredients, per se! Philo, you've find yours, I'm sure.

Mountain Wizard

I usually don't give **** a second thought, but here's one

Attachments

• IMG_20190712_110658321.jpg
    IMG_20190712_110658321.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 71
Sweet Spot indoors- best light, environment, medium you can afford! Now is not the time to skimp on ingredients, per se! Philo, you've find yours, I'm sure.

Definitely, running some HLG 3000k boards, and KIS Organics and/or Build-a-Soil Clack's Mix kits...gotta lock down some good ventilation before I start & I'm using those fabric tall pots as well as some air-pots I fashioned together vertically to make tall pots that hole 4-5 gals. I definitely wanna run some of your gear alongside the Mephistos that I have and some breeder F2 autos I got given to me.

Latest posts

Latest posts