What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Auto cross ?

marmarb

Wondering what's the result if applying reverse pollen from a female auto on to a photo period female. I'm aware that the resulting seeds wont be fully auto but will they be complete females as the would be if it were just auto to auto cross or full photo to photo cross with fem pollen.

Sign

In a nutshell

F1 from this cross is photo. Pick your star and clone or pick others and pollinate.
F2 run long days 16-24 hours. About a quarter will auto. From those that do pick favorites and pollinate.
Keep repeating this step until auto is stable.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In a nutshell

F1 from this cross is photo. Pick your star and clone or pick others and pollinate.
F2 run long days 16-24 hours. About a quarter will auto. From those that do pick favorites and pollinate.
Keep repeating this step until auto is stable.

Too, sampling will be small if you're using F1- F-1 which will create problems. You need to back cross.

marmarb

That's what I was wondering. The auto flowering trait would not have any affect on sex. Could be a great way to fast track production of fem seeds for guerrilla growing.

gorilla ganja

That's what I was wondering. The auto flowering trait would not have any affect on sex. Could be a great way to fast track production of fem seeds for guerrilla growing.

It doesn't really fast track anything. Well, I guess the first generation will be all-female, which could reduce the number you have to run to find that elite plant. But if you looking for full auto you will still have to wait for 3-4 generations.
I personally like to use at least some males in any f1 hybrid I'm making.
That way if you find some exceptional plants it will give you more options to revisit that f1 gen and you will not be limited to only females to select from.

Peace GG