What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollinate first flowers or wait a for more flowers

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If you pollinate when the first bud site appears, does that signal the plant to produce more flower to take advantage of available pollen, or does it slow down to concentrate on seed development.

With Semi or Photoperiods, it doesn't matter much because there's lots of time to mature, but with Autos, time is of the essence to maximize mature seed production.

I've waited too long to pollinate autos before and ended up with a crop of immature (white) seeds.

Maybe I've answered my own question, but it's only a suspicion. Just looking for confirmation for the optimal time to pollinate Autos (not selfing them.)

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
there is a nice rule of thumb with open pollination method if the male is monoecious and it has naturally faster flowering cycle than the dioecious stock of females
on the field check when the main crop has 2 sets of true leaves,
the males are sowed than on the edges of the fields to catch the best timed pollination
it is the process of making the Kompolti NRG x D2 hibrid (KC Virtus)

Sundog

With autos if the pollen is already stored wait till there's plenty of developed buds(2-3weeks into flower) , then apply pollen.

If your picking your male and female during the grow just let them do their thang. You should get enough seeds for breeding or future crops.

And if you think you pollinated to late just wait it out let the plant grow beyond normal harvest times. Sure the plants/buds will look like shit but you will be rich with RIPE seeds

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
i cut here some quotes from older threads

For LR#2 it is around Day 45, you need to let your plants produce as many calyxes as possible before they start to pollinate, early pollination results in smaller buds with less seeds. Harvest your seeds 30 days after you pollinate, give or take a few days, watch your seeds and be sure they are ripe, then cut down the entire plant and dry it well before taking the seeds out.

SGS

I have read a lot about how people collect their pollen, store it, apply it to individual buds, whole plant, etc. I know there are a lot of good ways to do it. I just thought I came up with a very simple (KISS - Keep it simple stupid; My Motto for growing) method that really takes no skill at all. Remember, this is not supposed to be difficult, just some people like to make the simple things seem complicated, and they may seem like that to you until you try it!

So here goes.
First you have got your male plants. These are Lemon skunk and Great White Shark
View attachment 8789
Then shake them over a mirror or piece of glass, I happened to have a large black glass/mirror thing.
View attachment 8790
Then seperate all the plant meterial out of the mix
View attachment 8791
And then line up all the pollen with a razor blade
View attachment 8792
And then transfer into your storage device of choice. I do not need the pollen for very long, just long enough to pollinate the females growing at the same time, so I just put it in tin foil, wrap it up, label it and put it in a baggie.

Then to pollinate, I do whole plants, so I just put them in a home depot bucket together, put a lid/top on the bucket and pour some pollen in, blow it around and then leave to sit for a couple of hours.

I then spray it down with a spray botle full of water and return it to the flower room.

It really is that simple. No catches or hitches. I hope this helps someone who is not exactly sure where to start with their breeding.

Peace/Love/Joy

(Will someone tell me how to make these thumbnails, not links?)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
With autos if the pollen is already stored wait till there's plenty of developed buds(2-3weeks into flower) , then apply pollen.

If your picking your male and female during the grow just let them do their thang. You should get enough seeds for breeding or future crops.

And if you think you pollinated to late just wait it out let the plant grow beyond normal harvest times. Sure the plants/buds will look like shit but you will be rich with RIPE seeds

Definitely!!

troutman

Seed Whore
If you want nice dark seeds. Let the plants go until they are almost dying. :dance013:

Too many white seeds means the plants were harvested too early. :spank:

Feed the plants well too with no flushing. Hungry mothers don't produce nice seeds.

I'm a Seed Whore, I do this all the time. Maybe, I'll end up in a Seed Rehab one day. :biggrin:

gorilla ganja

Wait till you have plenty of flowers to produce lots of seeds. But you want to give the seed at least 5 weeks and I prefer 6 weeks for them to mature properly. So don't pollinate anything unless you have that much time left. This way you will not see any immature seeds. Also like some have mentioned already let the plants go longer than normal if you have to. I have let some autos go a month or more past normal harvest dates.

Peace GG

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Last year I selfed a girl with STS. I got some seeds but many were very pale, so I let her go and kept her alive so the seeds would ripen. The bitch reveged on me. Here's the proof. And yes, it was an auto.

picture.php

(maybe not a true auto??)

The offspring grew to 3 feet outdoor and started flowering at 6 weeks.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
once a taoseeds variety i am not sure taomatic or microntao it was repotted with fresh soil in the middle of flowering, and it revegged into an unpleasent ruderalis

Klompen

Seeds are extremely hard for me to order right now for a variety of reasons, so I want to make some nice seeds from my autos that I have growing now. They haven't started flowering, but I want to be ready so that when they do flower I can get seeds. If this doesn't happen this time, I have 3 more seeds to germ and then I'm all out of autos. Next year I want to be ready with lots of auto beans to take outside and lots of photoperiod clones to take out.

Right now I am thinking of using colloidal silver, but I am not sure where to get it or how exactly I could make some at the moment. I will need something to hermie out a bud or two and then I'll need to figure out how to store and use it. Advice is always welcome

Klompen

Yes, it certainly would. I'm just working with what I have. Ordering anything here, especially anything that has to be signed or postage paid for is difficult. Eventually I intend to order something when I figure out a safe way to get it and have money to spare. In the meanwhile I really need a small seed stock to work with, especially given that my old seed collection appears to all be dead for some reason(storing seeds well while homeless is problematic it would seem).

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, it certainly would. I'm just working with what I have. Ordering anything here, especially anything that has to be signed or postage paid for is difficult. Eventually I intend to order something when I figure out a safe way to get it and have money to spare. In the meanwhile I really need a small seed stock to work with, especially given that my old seed collection appears to all be dead for some reason(storing seeds well while homeless is problematic it would seem).

Never signed for anything via USPS. Plenty of state side seed banks, yet 90% or more are FEM seeds. Agree with troutman....there's a few (ahem) that grow as mother nature intended....a la` regular seeds.

Klompen

I will explore that option when money is less tight, but for now I'd really like to either self these or use pollen from my non-autos(some of them are bound to be male). Just not sure why to spend much more money right at this moment. I'm not going for quality breeding here. I just want some fem seeds I can use in guerilla sites without being too worried about losing a few.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I will explore that option when money is less tight, but for now I'd really like to either self these or use pollen from my non-autos(some of them are bound to be male). Just not sure why to spend much more money right at this moment. I'm not going for quality breeding here. I just want some fem seeds I can use in guerilla sites without being too worried about losing a few.

Good luck with your projects.