What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reversing fem auto's with cs to make auto-fems's?

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Like the title states I just started a project with some auto-fems. After already sowing the seeds and having them germinate some thoughts popped into my head. I'm gonna reverse a critical cheese from dinafem to pollinate 5 other fem'd auto's. After some thought and observations from experience, I'm thinking I should have reversed a regular auto female for my pollen. Anyone out there with experience with this?
I have made some regular seeds using a male and some females, and the femmed females I used show the hermie trait in their progeny quite often. Thanks for any input.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From what I've read and heard, you have the best probability using regular seeds for your project. Using a fem (already genes mutated so to speak), then feminizing again w/ cs, I would think there would be a bit of instability, mutation or hermorphing going on. Maybe not in first generation, but farther along.

Not in total agreement with what Kyle Kushman advocates, but he does have strong views on the subject. Google him for his website, you'll see what he says.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
I procured a package of lowryder2 reg's. So it's on now. I'm gonna reverse at least one, maybe two regular females to pollinate : critical cheese auto from dinafem, auto anesthesia from pyramid, and an auto bio-diesel mass from advanced. I'm going all in too. Gonna be pollinating everything to the limit. Hopefullly I can get like 1000 beans. That would be like 200 per plant, plus whatever s1's I get from the lowryder(s)!!!!! I know I can make it happen.

*mr.mike*

...From what I've read and heard, you have the best probability using regular seeds for your project. Using a fem (already genes mutated so to speak), then feminizing again w/ cs, I would think there would be a bit of instability, mutation or hermorphing going on. Maybe not in first generation, but farther along...

I'd love to read something more (links, please) on this... other than wild speculation or overactive imagination...

Mikenite69

Veteran
Hey Frankenstein I think you would have no issue reversing a fem seed to another as long as you don't reverse it onto itself. This is what I have heard that you would reverse one female plant and use the pollen to hit another. There a lot of people that have reversed fem seeds and had no issues.

I'll try this for myself soon enough I'll be growing two la divas and I am gonna reverse one to pollinate the other. I think also ojd had a thread about this where early in flower fem seeds will show male traits but as the female begins to flower they will dissapear. Also if you think about it bro chem hermie seed gets reversed all the time. Sour d hermie seed I think? gets reversed all the time. Forum gsc supposed to be from a hermie bag seed gets reversed by peeps all the time. Just food for thought bro I don't think you will have issues.

I would guess to not take a chance and have the best outcome though would be to just do regular seeds so you don't waste your time to have hermie seeds.

Peace mike

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd love to read something more (links, please) on this... other than wild speculation or overactive imagination...

@ mike...read up Kyle Kushman....

http://medicalmarijuana.com/experts/expert/title.cfm?artID=683

http://medicalmarijuana.com/Cannabis-expert/Kyle-Kushman

@ Mr.Mike- Guess you weren't in attendance for symposium in Denver 4/20 where Kyle was a panel member speaking of breeding issues. I was in that audience, intently listening..... "a bit of instability, mutation or hermorphing going on. Maybe not in first generation, but farther along".

Look up YouTube 4/20 Denver panel discussion. He mentions your query...not wild speculation/over active imagination.

In fact, emailed him today asking to share his answer again....I'll cut & paste when I get the answer.

Good enough?????????!!!!!!!! ;o)

Last edited:

afroman25

@ mike...read up Kyle Kushman....

http://medicalmarijuana.com/experts/expert/title.cfm?artID=683

http://medicalmarijuana.com/Cannabis-expert/Kyle-Kushman

@ Mr.Mike- Guess you weren't in attendance for symposium in Denver 4/20 where Kyle was a panel member speaking of breeding issues. I was in that audience, intently listening..... "a bit of instability, mutation or hermorphing going on. Maybe not in first generation, but farther along".

Look up YouTube 4/20 Denver panel discussion. He mentions your query...not wild speculation/over active imagination.

In fact, emailed him today asking to share his answer again....I'll cut & paste when I get the answer.

Good enough?????????!!!!!!!! ;o)

:tiphat: Thumbs up on the Kyle Kushman links I've never heard of him, but have been reading his articles for the past hour and wow!

*mr.mike*

I read the first link, absolutely nothing about feminized seeds or using silver ions, but there was one interesting bit... " If the genes controlling a trait are the same on one chromosome as those on the opposite member of the chromosome pair (homologous chromosomes), the plant is homozygous and will "breed true" for that trait if self-pollinated or crossed with an individual of identical genotype for that trait."
So, just by that one bit, considering that using a feminized plant to fertilize it's sisters would indeed breed "true".

That second link led to a small collection of articles, nothing at all about fem seeds. Nothing.

I couldn't find the Denver 4/20 symposium on the YewToob, maybe you have an actual link to that?

I'll wait to read Kushman's reply before I judge... until I can read (or hear) what he said, I'll just call it "prejudiced speculation"... he's an organic grower, of course he has his own beliefs.

I have been grownig a strain for about 8 years now, and I've been using silver to get feminized seeds twice a year. From the more than 1000 plants grown from repeatedly feminized stock, I have never seen a mutation. Not. One.

Mutation isn't something to necessarily be mocked. It leads to evolution.

Also, just because someone (knowledgeable) says something, that doesn't make it true, but it does make it worth looking into a little deeper.

Waiting on that reply...