What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

photo plant fem or male to cross?

Canada

Whats the triditional process for crossing photo plants with auto's to make a new fully auto strain .

Should it go female (photo ) x male (auto) or vise versa?
Or does it even matter.

Canada

I was unsure if this should have been placed in autoflowering or breeding thought you guys would know . I may have some more auto breeding questions as i get started should they be posted here or in breeding?

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
doesn't matter really. Obviously if you had an elite clone you would use an AF male,

Or if you have come across a good male in a regular pack then pick your best AF girl.

If you're working from packs of seeds of both the parent plants in an ideal world you would make both crosses - AF male to reg female aswell as Reg male to AF fem then grow out both sets of F1's and see what you find.

Canada

doesn't matter really. Obviously if you had an elite clone you would use an AF male,

Or if you have come across a good male in a regular pack then pick your best AF girl.

If you're working from packs of seeds of both the parent plants in an ideal world you would make both crosses - AF male to reg female aswell as Reg male to AF fem then grow out both sets of F1's and see what you find.

thanks for clearing that up for me i was told on another fourm that crossing the auto female with a reg male would take alot longer as the cross (f1) wouldnt show auto's in the 1st crossing it would take another back cross with the parent (auto) with the new (f1) to start to see the auto gene @ about 5% with the f2's , but with the auto male crossed with reg female you will see about 5% autos in the f1 and then cross a auto male and auto females form the F1.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
naa, male or female the AF plant whatever sex carries the AF gene

No AF's will show at f1 but then you incross the f1's and AF's show up around 25% in the F2's

And keep in breeding til fully AF

Backcrossing to an AF is a quicker way, but obviously your 'new' strain contains a lot more of the AF

Try searching mate, sorry if you did but I know I personally have written this info out a few times. There are more detailed/scientific explanations around, but that's the general jist of it

Canada

Im now confused .

The 1st step is easy cross the parents to create an F1.
The 2nd step is where im lost .
I unerstand Imbreeding should now be started but from what plants.
Is it the parent auto crossed with the F1 ? Or is it 2 choice f1 plants .
If no autos will show in the f1 cross and a cross has to be made form the f1 plants how do you go about chooseing your 2 f1 plants?

Im sure ill be reading this a year from now going man this is super easy stuff what was wrong with me :p

Mitch thanks for really taking the time on this one .

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Step 1) You have crossed your non-AF to AF plant and have your F1 Seeds

Step 2) Grow the F1 seeds, None will Autoflower but cross a male and female from them. That will give you F2's

Step 3) Grow out the F2 seeds and you should find an AF male and female - cross those together to get F3's

And continue inbreeding your line by f5 you should have fully AF plants.

That might take 1-2 years though.