What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NYLD Pollination

RudeDog

Veteran
Greetings...In me greenhouse I have several NYLD females of varying ages. I've got a NYLD male dropping pollen on a plate in me living room.

What is the latest I could dust a female with pollen and still get viable seeds?

The oldest plant is about 47 days old from breaking soil. Should finish around 70 days.

Cheers all

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you looking to do full pollinations or do you just want to make a handfull of seeds for another run?

Have the hairs started to turn orange yet, or are they mostly all white still?

You can take them past their suggested finish day, aslong as you keep them fed and watered they won't suddenly die.

RudeDog

Veteran
Hey Mitch...thanks for the reply. Just want to make a few F3 seeds for next year.

Hairs are mostly still white so good go then...

Big up cheers.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The more white hairs the more seeds you will get..

I can't speak for NYLD as I haven't grown it but on the smaller strains (ran indoor) I usually find day 40-45 is optimum for getting the most seeds ~ around 500.

Please take the above with a pinch of salt as I don't grow outdoor and without pics it's hard to give you a proper estimation.

If you want just a few hundred seeds, I say look into selectively pollinating some bottom buds.

I usually find those lower budsite pistils will stay whiter for longer, whilst the tops start to mature.

It makes it easier to tell the pollen has taken when you are still in the window of having lots of white pistils

Big Eggy

Veteran
I'm sure you know this Rudedog but...

Spray the plant(s) you dont want pollenated with water this will limit the pollenation to your selected sites.

Eggy

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If doing select pollination a few lower buds for example, I like to cover the targeted budsites with a baggy , then spray the plant all over with water,

Then remove baggies , pollinate, cover again with baggies and then spray the plant down a second time.

I keep the baggies on for a day or two also, then when the pollination has taken I remove the baggies for good and spray the plant again.

Only ever get a couple of stray seeds when I do that method.

RudeDog

Veteran
Thanks for replies.

I was thinking of bringing each plant indoors and just brushing the pollen on to the selected buds with a fine paint brush.

What do you reckon?

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes that will work as a way of applying the pollen.

Even when being really carefull it can soon be flying around though, so consider the options above re: spraying water, you could also try covering the pistils you want to protect. Putting a bag over the main cola has worked for me in the past.

Latest posts

Latest posts