What's new

pollinate feminized plant?

weedbringer

hi!

theres a strain we like alot (dutch passion autoblueberry) that we'd like to grow more of, but they only exist in feminized version.. we wanna grow 100s of these so buying single fem. seeds at $20+ each is not possible. I also tried to e-mail Dutch Passion and ask some questions but they seem to ignore me, Im never getting answers from them :| so guess i gotta find out for myself then

so we thought of making some seeds somehow.. we planted a few of these DP autoblueberries, and a few other blueberry's (cant mention breeder here). the other blueberry's got really small, also they all looked the same. the dp bb's got really big and look very different from the other type of BB (cant say breeder..)

used a (cant say breeder) blueberry male and pollinated a DP autobb with it. it was the only seeds we had that werent fem.,and both types are blueberry in some way so guess its not a too bad match=)

so.. anyone know if we can expect about a 50/50 ratio of DP BB phenos of these or would we have to plant these seeds and again pollinate another 100% dp bb with it and use that generation? maybe do that several times?
Im sure it will be easy to tell them apart, as the DP autobb is much bigger and stretchy, the others are always very small and compact.

we really dont want the (cant say breeder) blueberry plants, we want the DP autobb! ..atleast most or even 50/50 of them would be nice..

the plant we pollinated was a feminized dp autobb, I read somewhere it will be big chanse of hermies.. can anyone tell if thats true, should we expect hermies from pollinating a fem plant?

not able to test these seeds right now so it would be in the summer, for the main grow. really dont wanna have a ton of tiny blueberrys then :| would be awesome if someone knew (or wanna guess) approx. how many (if any) will come out as dp bb phenos from this first generation, is it about 50/50 or more or less, and does it matter much which strain was used as mom & dad?

got a pic from the seed grow here to see the different ones and make this post a lil more interesting=D, they werent finished on this pic and conditions were pretty bad (weak light, several plants in a pot,no ventilation,nute burns etc..) but should give you an idea of how the different ones look, and atleast they all gave a nice bunch of brown beans.
the upper right pot with the smallest plants are the (cant say breeder) blueberries, they used to be accompanied by a male in the same pot until all were pollinated. the other pots are dutch passion autoblueberries. as you can see the DP ones get much taller and stretchy, we had some outdoors this summer and they got much bigger then. I think atleast twice the size of the biggest one of these. some even got bigger than the biggest Big Devils we had :eek: the seeds from the biggest DP BB in back left is the one we will focus on,hoping most of the offspring will be big DP BBs aswell when grown outdoors.....
they were chopped about a week or so after this pic, appearently far from done as most of the seeds was still green, but still got a nice load of dark brown ones we got high hopes for =P
271110k.jpg

thx in advance for any help

best rgds,

*mr.mike*

This hermie thing will all depend on how (can't say breeder) feminized it's plants.
After that, besides size, how different were the two plants? Taste, smell, potency, etc? I guess you'll have a hybrid blueberry. If (can't say breeder) blueberry wasn't auto, you're not going to have any autos is the easiest prediction to the most obvious "pheno" (hetero geno) that will show.
I'm not way up on the genetics of blueberry, but I'd assume you would have a relatively uniform generation of non-auto blueberry with a potency average of the two.
Of course, blueberry has it's own magic.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If both plants used in the cross were AF, you'll get AF seeds as a result.

The F1's should be a pretty uniform mix of the two parents.

Grow these out though - as many as you can and if you can find a male and female that look like they are leaning towards your preferred (dp) blueberry in how they look, smell,size any of the traits you like, cross them together.

Grow out the F2's in a big batch again, you will see a lot more variation and again looks for the ones like you prefer and inbreed them again.

You'll hopefully be on your way to stabilising something close to your preffered BB AF pheno.

Like mike says, it can be critical how the DP seeds are feminised. If they are TRUE females induced to produce male flowers through chemicals they should be fine to breed to, although using fem seeds in breeding is generally seen as not best practise, for your needs it should be fine.

However if they just stressed the female in order to get it to hermie, then you will probably see plants in the offspring that may hermie easily too.