What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed->Harvest times Vs Complete flowering time

Xtensity

I've been thinking about this lately. Various vendors say certain strains finish in 9 weeks from seed or something along those lines, but that goes with assuming the plants don't stress.

If plants get stressed in veg and flower late then its no longer going to be a 9 week harvest.

Do AFs usually take 3 weeks to veg before they flower? So an AF plant that finishes in 9 weeks from seed would have to flower for 6 weeks, even if in vegging it was stressed and stunned for 2 weeks.

Is there any site that says the time most AFs will take to finish once they start flowering? Since 9 weeks or any number of weeks from seed is with assuming they don't get stunted at all during veg.

Anyone have any information on this?

organicglass

there is no veg. They sprout and grow roots for about 10 days and automatically start to flower thats why there so small. If they vegged any longer they would get bigger and produce more. So in my opinion the 60 or 90 days from seed is about the same as if you rooted a clone and flowered it right away. It's the same flowering time as most strains without the veg time.

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there is no veg. They sprout and grow roots for about 10 days and automatically start to flower thats why there so small. If they vegged any longer they would get bigger and produce more. So in my opinion the 60 or 90 days from seed is about the same as if you rooted a clone and flowered it right away. It's the same flowering time as most strains without the veg time.

wrong. they don't flower until day 25-30.

they most certainly do veg. the key with auto's is..... if you want the plant to veg longer, make sure you have a deep pot. the plants won't flower until the tap root has hit bottom and been able to colonize for about 10 days.

Muddy

While most vendors say their autos will finish in 8-10 weeks I've found that when growing outdoors they often take a week or two longer. As Smokey said, they do veg. I've found that the bigger you can get them in veg the more they will yield.

Flying Goat

Those "harvest dates" are just promotional info, IMHO, Xtensity.

It takes the nose & experience of the horticulturist to know when a plant is fully ripened.

I have been growing autos inside under 20/4 and 12/12, outside under whatever Goddess gives us... In my experience, I find that Smokey's info is 100% spot-on - the deeper the pot, the longer the apparent "veg" phase.

I have been experimenting with pots & altho I have spent a few $ on some "rose buckets" from HTGsupply (<$4 each), I find I am getting excellent results from 2 liter soda bottles as well... Width does not seem nearly as important as depth. There are some "tree pots" available (altho I cannot buy in quantity) which are only 4" or 5" square, but 11" deep. These would be excellent.

If you grow in standard 1 gallon pots, you will get a good harvest, but the plants will not look like the "ones in the pictures." My mistake the 1st run of AFs was to use these pots & I was rewarded by a 4" tall Himalayan Blue Diesel with a tennis ball size/shape bud. Turned out to be the best bud of the run, that, but I still wonder how she might have been if I'd put her in a 2 liter. ..

I have Auto AK47+ & STA growing 17" to 22" tall in 2-liter soda bottles... Harvest will be end of this month (60 days) or perhaps, since they're on 12/12, it will be in mid-July.

Harvest time is when the bud is RIPE, not when somebody says it's done without looking at your plants... I find this holds true for yield & potency as well...

My best advice is to learn, learn, learn! Learn your plants & their genetics - where they come from, the conditions in which they were bred. Learn how they respond to nutes, light schedule, heat, & water... Let them tell you how to grow them. Be sensitive & pay attention to what they are trying to tell you.

It is much more satisfying to harvest a plant a peak ripeness, then dry it slowly & cure it well to bring out all the flavors...

...than to cut when someone "says" to cut, having wasted the time & learning experience, & end up with under-ripened bud with questionable potency which turns out to be a big disappointment...

Learn to communicate with your plants, then pay attention when they respond to you... You'll be right on the mark every time, then...

Happy pharming!

Latest posts

Latest posts