What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding Male Lines?

C

ChynaRyder

One thing that has bothered me in my early seed making, is the inability to quantify the qualities that the male will bring to the mating. Really, this is the root of the criticism of af based grows... Because I have interest in having strains with different effects, some of which will negate or reduce the effects of others ie CBD blocking THC, the traits brought to the mating by the male are just as important as the girl. Sure you can save pollen from a good male, but for how long as a home based closet hack? The herm I had with the aak x diesel, and ICC's discussion of breeding with female pollen have gotten me thinking about the possibilities of breeding and improving the male side of things. Would be nice to really provide consistancy in reproducing the traits you work hard to lock in, for years to come. Do we just automatically assume all of the males are ibl, and just picking 'the best looking' will do? Na, that sounds unsound to me if you really want to provide consistancy of outcome to your breeding efforts.

I guess all of this kinda goes out the window when you consider the possibility of breeding with female pollen...I still think you may run into a wall with this technique at some point in the future...unforeseen consequences of unnatural acts, ya know? Would like to hear the thoughts of others :deadxmas:

grow1620

how about male pollen? I was thinking of doing a search for a nice male plant for breeding. I read a post here somewhrer on icmag where someone created I guess....masculized seeds? the oppsite of feminized. The idea would be to take a single male...stress it out to make it grow female calyxs and pollinate itself...then you would have all male seeds and all male plants to follow. Also if you could get the male to reverse enough you might be able to get a glimpse of it's genetics better.

I don't know if it would be worth all the trouble but if you had say, a single male of some elite genetics you could "open up the genepool" a little bit and get a better idea of what to select for such as colors or smells either in the original plant or the selfed offspring.

M

mossy

Wey Hey ChynaRyder....you feeling Good...?

Merry Christmas...:santa1:

I'll be catching upon my mails shortly.

*mr.mike*

how about male pollen? I was thinking of doing a search for a nice male plant for breeding. I read a post here somewhrer on icmag where someone created I guess....masculized seeds? the oppsite of feminized. The idea would be to take a single male...stress it out to make it grow female calyxs and pollinate itself...then you would have all male seeds and all male plants to follow. Also if you could get the male to reverse enough you might be able to get a glimpse of it's genetics better.

I don't know if it would be worth all the trouble but if you had say, a single male of some elite genetics you could "open up the genepool" a little bit and get a better idea of what to select for such as colors or smells either in the original plant or the selfed offspring.

How would you stress a male to produce female flowers? Sure, you could use ethylene, but you'd have to keep applying it for the month plus it would take to grow a seed, if the induced female flowers were in fact fertile, and not just "show pieces."

I've done the ethylene part, but gave up after a few weeks... it wasn't working it.