What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding IBLs with Females Only.

Big Beans

Beans Means Highns
ICMag Donor
The same way back crosses to clones are done, introduce a male ibl then work on backcrossing to the mum

I think of males as organic pollen sacks -no chems needed :)

gardenlover

I was just thinking about this the other day, from what i gather which is not a whole lot is that this works. I would be happy cutting out the male all together for my upcoming project. My question is what do we know for sure about the negative aspects of this method?

C

cyber echo

Ive been thinking about that issue aswell ICC since the last day.
Which made me think if there are real advantages to femIBL since u'd have to cross back with a male eventually to get regular seeds, which dilutes the traits.

One drastic solution is to never go back to the male, fem seeds only. They certainly would be elite seeds.
Would it be healthy genetically though ? Or feasible ? Just how much pollen can u chuck off a nanner ?

Btw, any tested methods for 100% safe femming other than CS ? I've read that using the light stress method will make auto-hermi offspring.

C

cyber echo

Question is, which to use as a male ? and how would it matter ?

... or ... do both ? :) Would work.

makes me wonder, what effect would for example (DeepChunk(m)xSkunk#1(f))x(Skunk#1(m)xDeepChunk(f)) have as opposed to a one way cross then f2 (or any other two strains for that matter)

R

Red Swan

I'm just putting this out there...

From what I have read, the botanical definition of an IBL requires two parents, a male and a female. You cannot make an IBL with only one parent. If you use an unrelated male ( say in the case of SDIBL made from a clone outcrossed once to NYCD which has no diesel in it ) you have a hybrid. It may be a great hybrid, but by botanical definition, cannot be an IBL. Read the articles by DJ Short, you can't breed without botany.

If you reverse sex on a female clone and pollinate another identical unreversed clone, you have what is known as an S1 and all the results will be female. However, from my experience and I am no breeder, they are not all identical.

I was gifted some Bubba Kush s1's and grew them outside. I didn't keep any because I have a Bubba mother. It was stupid because some of the S1's yielded better than the original clone.

S1's are a cheap way to make back ups of your favorite plants. All you need is silver wire, electricity and distilled water.

There are many threads by some fantastic growers showing how easy it is to make collaidal silver.

If you want to breed , you have to understand botany and you have to put in the time. Breeding is not for slackers... it takes years of patience, lots of work, dead ends and surprises. There are no short cuts to quality.

According to what I've read, it can take between 4-6 years to make an IBL with large populations. There are very few real IBL's out there, meaning very little variation in the offspring. Skunk no.1 and Deep Chunk are the only ones that I know of. Perhaps others can chime in.

There are also lots of great medicinal weed in existence. It would probably be easier to just grow enough strains to find what is needed that to undertake breeding a medicinal IBL.

I am a medical grower and feel no need to reinvent the wheel.
I've been growing again for the last 5 years and should have stopped buying seeds after 6 months. I am happy with what I have and was able to find what I needed.

Have fun and if you decide to do it, let us know how it turns out. A casual search on Amazon.com will give a selection with everything you need to know on how to breed plants. There are no secrets, just hard work. It's not rocket science.

Feminizing Seeds by SomaPublished at 2006-08-17 in Growing tips

Creating feminized seeds is an art, there are a few different methods of application. I have written about some of my different methods of making seeds in previous HIGH TIMES articles. I have use gibberellic acid, light stress, ph stress, and fertilizer stress to force my plants to make seeds. All these methods are harsh on the plants, and some like the gibbrellic acid, are not organic. In my search for cleaner more earth-friendly ways of working with the cannabis plant, I have found a new way to make feminized seeds.

Article by Soma

Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, other than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher PH, some like a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like a lot less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can�t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown strains for a decade and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making seeds and learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method �Rodelization� after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plant in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male �bananas�. A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built in safety factor so in case of sever conditions, the plant can make sure that the species is furthered.

To me a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop or at least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emerging devices out. I call them �Emergency Devices� because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plant 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one to two months and still remain potent.

For the second phase you need to already have a crop that�s already 2 � weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bag of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut down all the fans in the grow room. Then take a very fine paint brush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with ten different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time(two crops), but is completely organic and lets you have great quality smoke at the same time you make your female seeds. If you�re one of those growers that has never grown seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross pollinating. The older females with the bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, un-pollinated females when they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later you will have ripe 100% female seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from THSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: �Drop seeds not bombs�.

C

ChynaRyder

It seems to me, that if you wish to succeed in your mission in a reasonable amount of time, ICC, you should eliminate the male from the equation. While this may create some unforeseen gentic consequences at some point, we do know for sure that introducing male pollen into the equation will introduce significant diversity, and essentially erase the stability that you worked to gain in your fem crosses. Very interesting approach, and I have not come across a project of the sort in my reading. Will be interesting to see your results. Best of luck to ya, Bro :joint:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Rhodelization (waiting for the plant to throw off a few bananas in its dying days) isn't very reliable. I just posted a full list of the disadvantages here so i won't go over them again.

Go with colloidal silver for a reliable method that allows you to force the reversal, and at any stage you want. It's cheap, easy and legal to buy, easy and legal to make, non-toxic (it's literally just the element silver suspended in distilled water), and reliable.

See the link in my signature for a detailed DIY guide

i too have mentions this type of breeding somewhere in one of our conversations icc maybe you got the idea from there like subconciously not knowing you did lol ;) but it is possible maybe not 100% ibl but it would deffo become ibl for the traits you want it to show

Latest posts

Latest posts