What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

red petiols?

egz91

Hi guys,
this are my two experiments
Don't know if you can help me!!
they where in hydro but i had to put them in soil because of the too much maintainance...i don't have time for hydro !!!

i use sensi a+b
AN addittives:
voodoo juice
b52
cal-mag
bud candy
big bud
nirvana

top crop:
top barrier potassium silicate

xtreme gardening michorrize

Attachments

• 20200229_133530.jpg
    20200229_133530.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200229_133507.jpg
    20200229_133507.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200229_133524.jpg
    20200229_133524.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200229_133510.jpg
    20200229_133510.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 101

egz91

temps are 27 celsius
rh 50% but sometimes it goes down to 30% or lower cause i can't refill humidifier in time!!
Is rh fluctuation a bad thing? temps are stable btw!!

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
transplant shocked them hard. the change in medium pH, aeration and nutrient availability decreased big time.
some elements are outlocked and they are thirsty

Jayden1990

As autumn reaches, trees begin to break down the green chlorophyll in their leaves and redistribute the nutrients contained in their leaves to trunk and roots.
But red coloration comes from a pigment called anthocyanin, which has to be developed again as autumn takes hold.
It has been widely debated that the trees would bother to spend energy doing this as things are winding down for the winter
  1. Some researchers tell pigments act as antioxidants.
  2. which help a tree combat harsh conditions.
  3. some people say it helps to attract birds that can then disperse fruits.
  4. Or it might increase leaf temperature, helping to protect from the cold.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It seems more logical to turn red, to avoid insects. Insects even cause plants able to turn red, to do so. Insects tend to die off over winter, and it's their eggs that make it through. Waking to eat our host plant. This is a bad start to the year, for the plant. Turning red makes them invisible to nearly all insects. So once they are finished with them for pollination reasons, the best thing to do is hide from them. They must balance the usefulness of being green against the protection benefits of being red. The question of 'is it worth remaining green, if it's bring more insects in' is answered by the slowing growth potential of autumn.

Looking at the 4 reasons above, some are very unlikely. Appearing red won't warm a leaf, it will cool it. Birds avoid red. Red leaves will fall off anyway, it's evergreens that get through. I think my explanation is a lot more wholesome than all those 3, but Antioxidants... I just don't know. It's keeping poor company on that list though :)