What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

whether or not to transplant?

master kusher

So I'm planning on growing some auto flowers this spring and was wondering what people think would be better. to germ. in water and then plant in jiffy pet pellet for first 5-10 days; or to germ in water, and then plant directly into the ground? :plant grow:

I have good luck with planting germinated seed into pellet then place pellet inside clear solo cup. I leave them like that until I see that the roots have spread then transplant into final medium. I have done both though, with similar results. Good luck!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please...don't use Jiffy pellets! The amount of peat in them are too acidic! It's ok to start in germing containers (we use styro coffee cups, reusing them time and time again)....then plant in container. Be careful not to damage roots....take entire root ball w/ soil.

Plant in same container....5 gallon....3 at very minimum...or in the ground.

Koondense

Veteran
I also avoid using the pellets of any kind.
It worked best for me to put the seedling in a light mix with mycorhizza and transplant very carefully after two-three weeks of photosynthesys in a medium strong soil mix with also added mycorhizza.