What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the advantage of Autos

Roadblock

Ive never grown them so have no clue here, but what is the advantage over photoperiod plants, I like to grow until I have them the size I want, Autos take that away from me so why would you choose autos over a normal strain?

troutman

Seed Whore
I haven't grown any Autos. But they are fast to finish and people who grow outdoors in really Northern areas like them.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
For me, outdoors is the real place for them. When you can get them to flower when the weather is good. As in the UK, a photo finishing in October is plagued with problems that have been the main focus of breeding outdoor plants since the year dot. A semi-auto finishes in good time at most latitudes but move up to somewhere like Denmark and a full auto has real benefits.

I have played with them indoors. Bred a few new ones. Found it a waste of time. The auto genetics and not strong genetics. I read a third less potent is expected. Which I found might be generous. It just seems to me like weaker smoke from all angles, and all control taken away from you. People are sizing pots to regain a margin of control, which seems an example of futility one can't ignore.

Breeders would love to make them work, as it stops people keeping mums. One day there might be a good strain that's seed only, but so far, it's not happened.

I can't think of a good argument that supports them.

Roadblock

Cheers for that makes sense for some outdoors in certain places, just couldn't see any advantage at all indoors where you can control flowering with the lights, just seems to be so many around today.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
FWIW, I did 2 indoor runs and was not pleased. My Ww was sub par when it came to potency and the yield nothing to write home about. I gave all my auto seeds away to an outdoor grower, as I knew I wouldn't be growing them again. Besides, autos cost more to produce.

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	Killer_Mandarine_vivix.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	17891640

330 grams on 1 plant . Indoor . No light period limitation . More light ( food for plant ) , more feeding ( so more nutes too ).
Photoperiod growers used to hurt their ego on auto growing. Because they already know how to ... And they don't follow golden rules for autos.

Autos = easy to grow , is quite a fake idea .

Less limitation + more thinking (on what changes) = easy happy growing.

Another picture from dutch passion this time for the fun of another crazy example :

Click image for larger version  Name:	001065_05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	17891641

what_can_there : Auto kush - Huba seeds . 350 grams dried buds . It s not in the seed especially , but definitly in the skills and knowledges.

( https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...er-pix/page117 )

picture.php?albumid=80585&pictureid=2111551.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	picture.php?albumid=80585&pictureid=2111551.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.2 KB ID:	17891651

Ive never grown them so have no clue here, but what is the advantage over photoperiod plants, I like to grow until I have them the size I want, Autos take that away from me so why would you choose autos over a normal strain?

Have a look in my signature, orange link, 2018. :)

Last edited:

Amynamous

I’ve been growing autos for a decade and have been quite pleased with them. Some of my favorite strains are autos, and i have found their potency to equal the photoperiod strains available at local dispensaries. That being said, i personally believe that potency is irrelevant, as many people titrate how much they consume to get to the desired effect, and other factors such as terpene composition and the nature of the high are at least equally important, at least to me.
Once they get growing, autos can be an easier, less stressful option. Also, in some situations, autos can be the best choice. For example, if someone in an apartment wants to grow on their balcony, but has to deal with extraneous lights from neighbors, streetlights, etc, autos can be an effective alternative. Just my two cents.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
They seem to be less work and hassle. I need to start photos in late winter, presex them, and transplant into bigger pots. Finally they go outside in late spring and I need to hope there is not an early frost in the fall. With autos you can get a couple crops a year and they are less finicky about care. You get less yield but the two crops make up for that. I have been trying Afterthought Autos and they seem strong enough for me. Instead of growing the whole garden of photos I am going to cut back and grow half autos the next summer. If you need to worry about security they are smaller and less visible. The first crop finishes before LEO and the rippers start looking around.

vayne

330 grams on 1 plant . Indoor . No light period limitation . More light ( food for plant ) , more feeding ( so more nutes too ).
Photoperiod growers used to hurt their ego on auto growing. Because they already know how to ... And they don't follow golden rules for autos.

Autos = easy to grow , is quite a fake idea .

Less limitation + more thinking (on what changes) = easy happy growing.

Another picture from dutch passion this time for the fun of another crazy example :

what_can_there : Auto kush - Huba seeds . 350 grams dried buds . It s not in the seed especially , but definitly in the skills and knowledges.

( https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...er-pix/page117 )

Have a look in my signature, orange link, 2018. :)

What did they eat? They're so big :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts