What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it time to take it down and smoke it?

dlxtpnuo

By the window is very slow..... Do you have legal cannabis in your country? Surely not worth the risk? When the hobby is detected and blown, it's off to the deep web for weed. Too expensive, organised crime, a load of hassle and unreliable as hell!

Cuddles

By the window is very slow..... Do you have legal cannabis in your country? Surely not worth the risk? When the hobby is detected and blown, it's off to the deep web for weed. Too expensive, organised crime, a load of hassle and unreliable as hell!

no, it´s not legal. This is why I´m always paranoid about the neighbours and always looked for plants with low odour. But a pot plant that doesn´t smell just does not exist.
Only a handful (literally) of people in this country have gotten a legal prescription. Medical professionals don´t understand cannabis and it´s healing properties. And they don´t bother to educate themselves. So getting a prescription is practically impossible.
The weed you can buy round here is total sh*t and overpriced considering what you get for it. Last time I bought some was 10-11 years ago and both times it was pure crap.

Growenhaft

You can remove and smoke the bottom, completely underdeveloped flowers. they won't be finished either way.

your choice of pot is not good. the material will always build up a ph value of over 7 at the edge. the downward tapering shape with only one central drain encourages roots to grow in a circle. the pots you use are more for perennial plants with slow root growth.

you'd better use square pots with lots of side drainage holes. you can see from the symmetry of the leaf fingers and their spreading that the plant is in a medium with a ph value that is too high. Of course, this influences the supply of nutrients and thus the number of flowers and their size.

but the plant looks pretty good for your first grow. not completely free of talent. but still a lot to learn.

Edit... just see that is plastic and no sound. which doesn’t change the fact that your plants display a ph value that is too high.

Cuddles

actually that pot has several drainage holes , not sure why you make the assumption that it doesn´t.
Ph adjustment is not a problem because I have a water ionizer. I´ll make it a little more acidic and see how she likes it.
Never seen square pots being sold in our garden center btw.

Growenhaft

actually that pot has several drainage holes , not sure why you make the assumption that it doesn´t.

I looked at it. I thought there were pots made of fired clay, they only had one central drainage hole. yours are made of plastic with multiple drains. Your pots probably have small plastic walls on the inside at the bottom. they should prevent the growth in the circle. But that's only enough for plants that are perennial.

annual plants have a different root system. they will not circle at the bottom of the pot, but a little higher where the root lock is not present.

if you want to use round pots with cannabis you should use airpots or fabric pots. because both of them require independent root pruning. through air and light. therefore the roots do not grow around the circle here. It's bad because otherwise the roots will strangle themselves and the absorption of nutrients will be slower.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Nursery's use square pots internally. Round pots are used for retail though. They are aesthetically pleasing.
Lots of square one's on eBay. Or you can slot round one's to stop roots circling.

Cuddles

I did intend to inspect the roots after chopping it down when the time comes. Mostly because I´ve been wondering about the pot size and depth anyway. I know that pot likes deep pots. But I´m wondering just how much space the roots are actually taking up. It´s a really small plant and it´s aabout a 5 L pot

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My plants are in 10 gallon bags because that is all I feel like lifting. The soil vendors want as much soil as you can manage. With the 10 gallon pots the plants are making about a 1" diameter stem. I have to add soil through the run to make up for that which is compressed or used by the plant. That is usually at the transition to flower, or whenever I have the plant out of the tent.

Drewsif

Nursery's use square pots internally. Round pots are used for retail though. They are aesthetically pleasing.
Lots of square one's on eBay. Or you can slot round one's to stop roots circling.

So roots can't make a right hand turn huh

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
So roots can't make a right hand turn huh

No, they don't. They won't even circle a square pot. They can't see a dry area and go around it. They get air pruned, and some side growth becomes dominant.

A root left to circle a round pot, will continue to circle after the pot has gone and the plant is in a bed. The behaviour defies logic.

Cuddles

No, they don't. They won't even circle a square pot. They can't see a dry area and go around it. They get air pruned, and some side growth becomes dominant.

A root left to circle a round pot, will continue to circle after the pot has gone and the plant is in a bed. The behaviour defies logic.

I guess going round is more organic lol. I don´t see why a square pot is beter than a round one

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
We know the root zone is a space defined by the pot. Constant pruning of the roots will cause them to spread in every direction, and in doing so, reach everywhere. This maximises the plants ability to feed from the space provided.

If we let a plant, it will keep elongating the main roots in an effort to find an area worth spreading out into. The roots will tend to drop to the bottom, then just circle within the same compost. Not knowing there is still good stuff above them. This leaves the plant spending time growing roots that can't find food. Binding up. Displacing air and substrate with more and more root looking in the same place for food.

We need root pruning to fully utilise the root zone we define with our pots. Without this pruning, they will fill the pot eventually, but it's not pretty

Cuddles

We know the root zone is a space defined by the pot. Constant pruning of the roots will cause them to spread in every direction, and in doing so, reach everywhere. This maximises the plants ability to feed from the space provided.

If we let a plant, it will keep elongating the main roots in an effort to find an area worth spreading out into. The roots will tend to drop to the bottom, then just circle within the same compost. Not knowing there is still good stuff above them. This leaves the plant spending time growing roots that can't find food. Binding up. Displacing air and substrate with more and more root looking in the same place for food.

We need root pruning to fully utilise the root zone we define with our pots. Without this pruning, they will fill the pot eventually, but it's not pretty

sounds like what they do to bonsais? thanks for explaining. In my case however, I don´t think it´s root bound at all but we´ll see when chopping time comes :)

Amynamous

I grew a few Lowryder2 a few years ago. I liked them. They got the job done.
In my experience, autos will sometimes grow very slowly in low light conditions. Not to worry, as it will simply extend the life of the plant.
I’ve grown quite a few autos on my windowsill. I was happy with the results.
From the pics I’ve seen, I wouldn’t harvest until early July. Just my two cents.

Cuddles

I grew a few Lowryder2 a few years ago. I liked them. They got the job done.
In my experience, autos will sometimes grow very slowly in low light conditions. Not to worry, as it will simply extend the life of the plant.
I’ve grown quite a few autos on my windowsill. I was happy with the results.
From the pics I’ve seen, I wouldn’t harvest until early July. Just my two cents.

thanks! in the description it says : From seed to harvest this plant has a life span of 8 to 9 weeks.
I germinated in mid Feb.
I guess I can wait another 4 weeks...sigh :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I guess going round is more organic lol. I don´t see why a square pot is beter than a round one

I veg in 4" square pots (4 weeks) then they go to there final resting place a 3gal cloth pot (close to 5gal measurements). My roots are massive at the bottom and the sides, the way they should be. I will try and remember to take a pic next run.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

+10 :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
sounds like what they do to bonsais? thanks for explaining. In my case however, I don´t think it´s root bound at all but we´ll see when chopping time comes :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0066.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	17876331

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0066.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	17876331

Those are the fine feeder roots we seek, not lateral support roots. :)

Post mortem (Harlequin run)