• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djimb
    replied
    Week 7:

Oops! missed a week. Sorry everyone!

These kids are still doing great and still attracting attention from bugs. I guess I should mix up some neem soon. Despite the damage, they're keeping on.

#3 has developed an interesting quirk. It appears to be developing a whorled phyllotaxy, producing four leaves at the next node. Othwerwise, it's topped itself, but looking at it this morning, I still see new growth emerging from the center of those four leaves. Pretty cool. Hopefully one of them will turn out male and I can start working a tri/quad line like GMT's Bruised Nuts.

Here they are:

Durban #1

Durban #2

Durban #3

See you all next week!

Leave a comment:

• Dave Coulier
    replied
    The lil ones are looking good DJ, even with a lil bug damage. Can't wait to see how they grow up for you.

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    Week 5 update:

I'm a little late in posting this, but the Durbans are doing great. They're starting on their third set of leaves. They've stretched quite a bit, and got knocked down by a storm last weekend while I was away and couldn't get them under shelter. They weren't damaged, though, just laid flat on the soil surface. I stood them up and packed some dry soil around them, and they've since righted themselves.

I'm really intrigued by the somewhat irregular serrations. It makes the leaves look a little wild and ragged.

Pics!

Durban #1, got chewed on by something

Durban #2

Durban #3

Thanks for checking in!

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    Thanks for joining in, hansNfranz! These little Durbans are just getting started. If you want to see some more of this line, check out the other tester threads:

CrossBones: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=346192

Baduy's outdoor: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=351523

Shooters: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=346238

Thejact55: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=350385

ReikoX: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=347598

And of course, definitely read Dave's thread documenting the grow of the original F1s, the subsequent F2s, and a whole slew of crosses: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=307700

Hopefully I can put on as good a show as they did.

Feel free to comment, ask questions, post pics, or just shoot the shit.

Leave a comment:

• hansNfrans
    replied
    Looks great Djimb! Subbing up for the grow! Excited to see what becomes of this!

Cheers-Hans

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    Week 4:

We're starting a rainy week here. One dry day out of the next 10 in the forecast. These little Durbans are doing great, though.

They've been potted up into quarts and they're pushing their second set of leaves, looking happy and healthy.

Durban #1

Durban #2

Durban #3

Even in the first leaves, it seems there's some WLD influence on these. They're thick, dark, and deeply textured compared to the PNG and the Colombian I grew a few years back, which both seem to have thin, light green, flat leaves.

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    Week 3 update:

All three of the second round of seeds are up! The smallest one had just opened it's cotyledons this morning, but has since opened up, and I swear the first true leaves have already grown a bit.

Unfortunately, I didn't catch these in time to get a good pic of the deep violet of the unopened cotyledons, but I'm sure We'll see the purple again in flower.

Dave, I believe you were right about the overwatering on the last round. I'd forgotten just how sensitive cannabis can be to it, and how vulnerable to damping off.

More rain tonight. Hope they don't catch too much of it.

I've been waiting til I pot them up to number them, but It's pretty apparent which is which by their size, so I'm going to make an attempt at keeping track of which is which. Of course, the numbering could change if lose track when I pot them up.

Pics!

Durban #1

Durban #2 (the most purple in the seed leaves)

Durban #3

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    Dave, you might be right about the DP being the most purple, if the underside of the seed leaves is any indication. The two that have shed their seed shells are the most purple I've seen in seed leaves.
    The Flo is often streaked or spotted on the underside, and some of the Nepali had purple spots or margins, but damn, these Durbans are are dark! I'll try to get a photo on Monday, once they're all up and open.

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    Unfortunately, the kibosh has been placed firmly on all indoor spaces. Really, what I need is a shed.

Two of the second round are above the soil this morning, but they've yet to spread their cotyledons. The third appears to have germinated as well, and It's looking like they'll be ready for their photoshoot on monday.

I guess it is entirely possible the others damped off due to the excessive moisture from the rain. I've never run into that problem, as my previous outdoor grows were in the hot, dry summers in Oregon. I was always in control of watering. We've got some more coming over the next couple days. I'll keep them sheltered as best I can.
    Last edited by djimb; 07-21-2018, 13:06.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Coulier
    replied
    Originally posted by djimb View Post
    I checked the remaining sprout today and found that its cotyledons were light brown snd mushy, like the radicle in the other seedling. I emptied out the soil, wiped down the sides of the cells with alcohol, and put fresh soil and new seeds in.

One thing I noticed, when planting the new seeds, is that the seed coat on the edges of the seeds looks like it's been worn off, like they rubbed against each other a ton in transit or something. They've been in a jar of rice in my fridge ever since I got them, just like my other seeds. I wonder if maybe they lost moisture through the worn parts of the seed over that time.

Either way, I'll try to get better photos when these seeds sprout. Hopefully, they'll be normal, happy seedlings.
    I doubt the tiger striping rubbing off would cause any issues with germination. The striping is like a very thin wood veneer that is just for show, imo. Ive started seeds that had the 'veneer' rubbed of and they've sprouted fine for me in the past.

Fingers crossed the remaining ones start off fine. Have you considered starting the seeds indoors where you have better control over the environment then moving them outdoors when they're a lil bigger?

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    I checked the remaining sprout today and found that its cotyledons were light brown snd mushy, like the radicle in the other seedling. I emptied out the soil, wiped down the sides of the cells with alcohol, and put fresh soil and new seeds in.

One thing I noticed, when planting the new seeds, is that the seed coat on the edges of the seeds looks like it's been worn off, like they rubbed against each other a ton in transit or something. They've been in a jar of rice in my fridge ever since I got them, just like my other seeds. I wonder if maybe they lost moisture through the worn parts of the seed over that time.

Either way, I'll try to get better photos when these seeds sprout. Hopefully, they'll be normal, happy seedlings.

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    Ya, that's not the best photo, but the soil was definitely soaked this morning. A big storm came through yesterday.

It's been in the low 90s lately, and I just give them a little drizzle in the morning so they don't crash in the heat. If you follow the link in my sig, you can see how the other seedlings are doing.

I figure there are bound to be duds in any batch of seeds. I just had the luck to pick them first. I'm sure the next couple will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Coulier
    replied
    Sorry to hear things are off to a rocky start. Lets hope the other beans perform better.

Its hard to tell from the pick, but the media looks over-saturated. Try reducing moisture content in your media by 25-50%, and keep the media covered until the seeds breaks the surface.

I would also advise using Rootshield Plus to protect your lil ones from damping off. Works wonders in helping get the lil ones off to a good start.

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    1 week update:

A slow start on these. The first one to germinate put out some great, healthy looking cotyledons. Unfortunately, it was missing the other important part: a root.

Well, technically, it was there, but it was brown and shriveled. I've never seen this happen before, but I understand this generation of seed has shown a small percentage of self-aborting or stalling plants. Not to be deterred, I put another seed in its place.

The second seed to germinate did something else that was strange. It grew it's root straight up in the air. The tip of the root looks blunted, as though the meristem dried up. I turned it around the right way and buried it. Hopefully it'll pull through, but i'm prepared to plant another, if need be.

The third one hasn't germinated yet.

I plan on doing updates weekly, but if anything develops in the mean time, I'll be back!

Leave a comment:

• djimb
    replied
    Thanks, Dave! I'm excited, too!

I'm actually hoping for a fast flowering male to pollinate some PNG, Laos, or Cambodian with, but those might make better fathers, since the Durban is a lot more likely to start flowering early enough to be of use as a mother.

This Nepali line has a pretty good percentage of nearly black plants, but your Durban is more straight violet-purple. Either way, a cross of the two should be interesting.

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X