What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Contra D - Chem D x C4DD - Info and grow-along.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi starcrash. here is a pic of the Chem D in veg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ i would say that yours looks to have some leaf streak that is similar... but that streak is also a heritable trait - so yours could be a cross as well. The leaf spotting on yours also looks similar to what i got on the 'lil D' phenos of this contra D
Have you smoked it yet ? the D is pretty distinctive in it's funk and effects.
VG
here in flower you can see a few leaf streaks, often in the D it effects half of a leaf

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi starcrash. here is a pic of the Chem D in veg
​ i would say that yours looks to have some leaf streak that is similar... but that streak is also a heritable trait - so yours could be a cross as well. The leaf spotting on yours also looks similar to what i got on the 'lil D' phenos of this contra D
Have you smoked it yet ? the D is pretty distinctive in it's funk and effects.
VG
here in flower you can see a few leaf streaks, often in the D it effects half of a leaf

Thanks for the response, got cut from an excellent source it’ll be a long time before I smoke her , just getting started :blowbubbles:ps Can’t see your pic...?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey mate, can't see my pic?? there are two, and they come up for me both in the post and in your quote of my post??? wtf? maybe you'll be able to see them later.
You should run it mate, you going to need something couch-lock to go with all that haze! LMAO :D

let me know if you still can't see the pics and i'll try and post them again... more delights of the new site i guess!

VG

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
:chin:Not sure why but can’t see your pics after my post ... I can see the pictures you posted at the top of the page

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'll try again but it tells me 'you must upload at least one photo' even though there are two!

Attachments

• photo2034894.jpg
    photo2034894.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 95
  • photo2034895.jpg
    photo2034895.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 94

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah mate:) this time I got them as well thank you so much ...I see the spotting in the leaf that looks similar to the cut I have

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can see the pics second time round, not first.

thanks, i was just coming to ask.
I can't see them fist time round now either! yesterday i definitely could see them , posted full size, in both my post and star's quote of my post.... it did tell me that there were no pics and i had to preview the post for it to allow me to post them....
ffs this is odd!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all. i sowed 12 seeds., of the three that didnt come up, 1 or 2 did germ but were too runty to break soil convincingly.... so i think we have 7/12 'Big D' phenos and 5/12 Li'l D phenos - (2 showing and counting the 3 no-shows as Li'l D as well)
The very big one may have popped first or may be a male .. or may be a 'Bigger D' ..who knows. I'll pot them up and grow them on a bit more
12contratop.jpg
12contra.jpg
(i'm saying the two on the right are Li'ls )
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, scores on the doors... So far 18 seeds popped altogether, with 10 Big and 8 L'il..... Still looking like about 50/50 big to little.

Interesting that there is a 'gap' in the middle of the scale, but there are defo 'degrees' of Li'l.. so i guess it makes sense that there are degrees of Big too?

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What light are they under V.G.?

hi GMT, they are under an LED, a blurple HGL one (HGL sent me quite a few free lights over the years in return for grow shows) The cab is a bit small though with not enough height to keep plants away from the light.. so plants tend to start fading out as soon as the roots hit the side of the pot. Good for seedlings though because they don't stretch much.
Are you thinking my assumptions about the segregation are reasonable? am i missing anything?
I'll pot all the bigs up and grow them on to make sure i'm correct about them being 'bigs'. I'm hoping for a nice male or two..

VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
To be honest I'm surprised by the segregation. I would have expected 25,25,50. The only way you have 50:50 is if one of the parents had a particular problem or advantage on one side of its DNA. Given the lineage I would have thought this unlikely. Therefore I'm going to have to guess that a mutation occurred somewhere below the pollen /bud line on one of the parents. Which, and whether it gave the advantage to those bid D plants or a disadvantage to the little D plants I don't know.

I do have a slight issue with this quote though

Using a female is obviously not a choice if i'm outcrossing to a clone only like bubba.. but hopefully it will pass some 'big and fastness' to the bubba and maybe some others.

VG

I'd reverse the bubba and hit a big D female. I know that creates an all female offspring, but you can then use a big D male to cross to a desirable plant and hopefully keep that great mtdna intact. If you hit a bubba with big D pollen, you lose it. If you want to fold the genes in, you can always hit the bubba with the big D male pollen, and use a male from that cross, to make f1.5's lol whereby you cross ( rev bubba and big D) girl, to (big D and bubba) male offspring. That way you get your 50:50 cross but preserve the big D mtdna and male female offspring.

​​​​​​​Anyway, I just thought the seedlings were looking nice and wondered what they were under.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used 3 or 4 c4dd males to make the pollen batch that i used for the contra, the f2s and the crosses

To be honest I'm surprised by the segregation. I would have expected 25,25,50. ...

i guess there could be a 50 /50 split in the li'l phenos.. some are viable and some germinate but grow in a stunted circle. so from the total 8 li'ls there are 4 viables and 4 non-viables (at least 3 of them germed and grew a bit) could be a stretch but certainly possible so that could give is 25,50,25? - but i guess that you'd expect the range to be the 50% in the middle range rather than bigs.. or could it work like that?

I'd reverse the bubba and hit a big D female. I know that creates an all female offspring, but you can then use a big D male to cross to a desirable plant and hopefully keep that great mtdna intact. If you hit a bubba with big D pollen, you lose it. If you want to fold the genes in, you can always hit the bubba with the big D male pollen, and use a male from that cross, to make f1.5's lol whereby you cross ( rev bubba and big D) girl, to (big D and bubba) male offspring. That way you get your 50:50 cross but preserve the big D mtdna and male female offspring.

​​​​​​​Anyway, I just thought the seedlings were looking nice and wondered what they were under.

ive been thinking along similar lines... it may have been writing what you quoted that got me thinking lol.... i plan to do the reversed bubba to the big D, and then hit a good vigorous BigDbubba with reversed bubba pollen again to get a bx to the bubba but with some better mtdna, worth a try.. i like your idea too, so many possibilities if this breeds well

great to be able to pick your brains about it, thanks,

VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yeah I would have expected the 50% to be mid D. Which given the numbers involved are low, could be the case. What you call little D may in fact be mid D's, with what you call non viables being the real lil D's. You may have just picked more big D seeds to pop than would be the statistical average across large numbers. Not saying its so, just a possibility.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh, how many females?

Hi mate, just the one female as this was the C4DD pollen bx'd to the Chem D cut again.

You may be right about the mid D's , i think its good that there seems to be a good proportion of the good plants anyway.... i was wondering if there was any way there could be an allele that was undesirable at either end, but desirable in the middle 50%??
anyway i can't really run any bigger numbers, but may try and make a batch of F2s with the Bigs.

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts