What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Contra D - Chem D x C4DD - Info and grow-along.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
funny, im planning to go the exact opposite way.
BTW thanks for the beans . :huggg:

i think GMT covered that pretty well...
but , i wonder how much of an effect inbreeding depression could have played on those lil D's.

best way to find out is make some more crosses and pop the seeds haha.

hey eyesdown, yes, lots of possibilities with these (i have done the bigD to li'l D cross at small scale for testing and am interested in the results)... but early days. the 6 seeds i popped could well not prove to be representative of the line as a whole....
But presuming it is, and we have what i think the experts might call a 'Transgressive segregation' .. or something approaching that, where the desirable and undesirable alleles have mostly separated out into two very different phenos. It seems that the best way to harness the benefits of that might be to remove the undesirables in the form of the small phenos, which are cute but slow and slightly sickly, and go forward with the big ones. GMT quietly suggested this a while back.
Looking at it in terms of inbreeding depression as you suggest.. it seems like all the inbreeding depression/deleterious alleles have segregated into the small phenos, with the big ones showing extra health and vigor compared to the parents (which showed decent vigor in themselves too)

As a micro grower the small ones DO hold interest in some ways.. but i'm more the kind of micro grower that likes to grow big plants in a small space lol.
But like you say, lots of possibilities.. i think there might also be mileage in crossing the contra to the C4DD4 for a wider pairing.. and the possibilities if the health and size are heritable could be endless.
That said, i have to avoid being distracted too much and 'going down a rabbit hole' with these - as i have a couple of other projects that are already getting overdue!

VG

eyesdownchronic

hey eyesdown, yes, lots of possibilities with these (i have done the bigD to li'l D cross at small scale for testing and am interested in the results)... but early days. the 6 seeds i popped could well not prove to be representative of the line as a whole....
But presuming it is, and we have what i think the experts might call a 'Transgressive segregation' .. or something approaching that, where the desirable and undesirable alleles have mostly separated out into two very different phenos. It seems that the best way to harness the benefits of that might be to remove the undesirables in the form of the small phenos, which are cute but slow and slightly sickly, and go forward with the big ones. GMT quietly suggested this a while back.
Looking at it in terms of inbreeding depression as you suggest.. it seems like all the inbreeding depression/deleterious alleles have segregated into the small phenos, with the big ones showing extra health and vigor compared to the parents (which showed decent vigor in themselves too)

As a micro grower the small ones DO hold interest in some ways.. but i'm more the kind of micro grower that likes to grow big plants in a small space lol.
But like you say, lots of possibilities.. i think there might also be mileage in crossing the contra to the C4DD4 for a wider pairing.. and the possibilities if the health and size are heritable could be endless.
That said, i have to avoid being distracted too much and 'going down a rabbit hole' with these - as i have a couple of other projects that are already getting overdue!

VG

Wow, thank you for giving such an in depth and honest review. I feel like ive already ran the genetics even though I need to remind myself I havent yet.

I suppose I just hadnt thought of it the way you described.

my thought was that the C4DD male line already possessed about 50% pure Chem D and about 50% Chem 4/ Chem D mix.

When crossed back to the pure D. for the 50% of the progeny that inherited the pure D male traits, exhibited primarily D traits. The increases in genetic homozygosity would come at the cost of hybrid vigor, resulting in some level of inbreeding depression. The other half would exhibit a mix of chem d and chem 4 traits without a loss of vigor.

I was under the impression that the small stature of the lil D's wasnt really a function of a trait they inherited. but just that lack of vigor is a direct result the homozygosity in the individual. what kinda clued me in more is that both the big and lil D's all have about the same internodal length (inherited trait), but its the actual vigor ie number of nodes that is different between the two.

but this is all inference, I really have no idea. makes me more excited to drop some beans haha.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The original big D no2 is close to harvest. seems to have the same terp profile as the other Big D

This was just in a 3 litre pot... for my setup, with this plant only under about 15 watts (proportionally) of LED. This is an impressive sized bud.
picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Couple of macros of big D 2, trying to get the 'glistening' thing that these buds do !
picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last pic for today, here is the original Big D 1 flowering from clone. The rest of the buds have been pollinated but i left one for smoking.. about 5 weeks i think..
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So the Big D 2 plant has been in the jar for a week, and it does have a similar terpene profile to Big D 1.... Pine, Lime, solvent and fuel, but 2 has a sweetness to the funk that 1 doesn't have. Both seem very potent and are great smoke... i find myself reaching for those jars a lot of the time.
The next step is to pop some more seeds to see if the split between big and li'l phenos is still around 50/50 in a larger sample of plants....

I would appreciate feedback and/or pics fram anyone who has bought one of the Chem Kits and popped some of these. I think this could be something really special but early days as yet.

VG

eyesdownchronic

So the Big D 2 plant has been in the jar for a week, and it does have a similar terpene profile to Big D 1.... Pine, Lime, solvent and fuel, but 2 has a sweetness to the funk that 1 doesn't have. Both seem very potent and are great smoke... i find myself reaching for those jars a lot of the time.
The next step is to pop some more seeds to see if the split between big and li'l phenos is still around 50/50 in a larger sample of plants....

I would appreciate feedback and/or pics fram anyone who has bought one of the Chem Kits and popped some of these. I think this could be something really special but early days as yet.

VG

I should be getting around to popping some of each of the three crosses with my next seed drop.
will definitely be posting in here to document how it goes.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks eyesdown, ive appreciated your interest and feedback on these c4dd lines.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some nice early results VG. Chem lines will always have a place :)

This particular one has come as a surprise because it's not chemmy in the classic sense, terpene wise..fuely and solventy yes but not cabbage/sweat/garlic like the D. when i'm in a pretentious mood i like to regard this Contra D as a 'postchem' line lol , it's certainly got me interested.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys, its been really useful to get that report... i'm not the world's best at describing these things and i dont really like to 'blow my own trumpet' too much - much more convincing from someone else.
Ive been smoking some Chem D from the clone recently - just seed shake really but still tasty. That comparison has helped too.
I reckon the Contra D is like the Chem D but with the Pine and solvent terps turned up and without the sweaty gym socks/brussels sprout funk - which makes it quite different overall.... but like BeAn says in the report, it is really complex.

VG

eyesdownchronic

The whole Chem Kit?!?! No wayyyyyyyyyyy...

:lurk:

Peace DM

yeah...figured it would make sense to run them alongside each other. and since there were 8 each of the c4dd4 and contra d, dropping 8 of the three sounds pretty good to me. will also leave me with a couple c4dd f2's for the doomsday vault.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds good eyesdown!
i'm putting a dozen Contra D in today.. mainly to get a better idea of the big/little pheno ratio. I hope the 50/50 i got with the first six is about right...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
couple of harvest shots, seeded buds look a bit messy but still frosty !
ContraDreadythisone.jpg
contraDharvestnug3.jpg
VG

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning sir :tiphat: Enjoy your thread , can you tell me if this looks like Chem D to you? Thanks ...
Click image for larger version  Name:	C90E19C6-9A48-4B2D-B6B1-A931767255E8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	17822954
Click image for larger version  Name:	7050433F-B05F-448A-90F7-F64223B5D442.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	17822955
Click image for larger version  Name:	7050433F-B05F-448A-90F7-F64223B5D442.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	17822955