What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Contra D - Chem D x C4DD - Info and grow-along.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and here is Little D at about 6 weeks... doing its little thing !

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi GMT, thanks, yeah it is pretty frosty for this stage.. and starting to smell a bit chemmy.

I put the second female Big D in a bigger pot ready to start flower in a week.. it looked identical in veg to the one that is in flower atm, which is now starting to fade a bit, this one will hopefully get a better run and not have to be butchered to keep the height down!

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, the C4DDDs are at about 7 weeks now.. a coule of weeks behind the rest of the plants in the grow.

Li'l D: It does smell very similar to the Chem D (as predicted by some earlier in the grow)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Big D has got quite a fade on... terps are still developing but promising to be loud.
picture.php

picture.php

VG

antheis

Veteran
You think big d fade was from her being more hungry for N than anticipated, or that she'll finish earlier?
7 weeks is when I'd expect fade to start fir an expected ten week finish. She does look to be done soon. How's her trichs look?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi antheis, i think the fade is earlier than the rest because she is a bigger, more vigorous plant than the others and i imagine she has become more rootbound in the 5.5l pot that she is in.

The other crosses were transplanted, as soon as they showed sex from 2 to 5l pots, and kept in flower... so the roots haven't become very rootbound and the fade hasn't been so early or pronounced. I havent checked the trics yet but will have a look at 8 weeks and see. Big D was vegged in the big pot for a few days... but i think it's mainly down to the extra vigor.... none of the crosses have lacked vigor in the least - but they are just 'normal' .. big D is a bit of a monster!

VG

The other big D will also get flowered soon - it'll be interesting to see if there is any variation with terps etc with that one.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all. Big D is at just over 8 weeks now, fading and finishing soon:
picture.php

this pic shows some of the sideshoots that should by rights be underdeveloped.. but they pushed their way up through the canopy and now are quite large (by my micro grow standards lol)
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, Big D and Little D are both harvested now... i didn;t get any extra pics of the plants.
Big D smelled a little different to the regular chem funk.. kind of like an astringent lemon and that peppery, victory V lozenge smell that the glue has... it seemed very resinous and generated a big ball of finger hash when i pulled a few seeds out of one of the buds (pollinated with the male little D)
here is the stem after harvest, i did apologize to big D for having to butcher his height down quite so brutally... and i apologize to you all too for the cruelty :D
picture.php

Little D smelled more like chem D, that brussels sprout/sweaty/chemmy smell.

The picture of the roots of the big and little D side by side tells the story:
picture.php

smoke reports on all of the F2s and crosses to come ... and seeds being sent to the bay and BR too - in the next couple of days.

HNY

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks eyesdown... smoke test very soon. i really can't wait to try them !

The strain/variety also now has a name - 'Contra D'

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Big D early smoke report[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].... very potent, heavy tingly bodystone, couchy. head is sleepy but quite clear thinking and introspective..has a similar effect on visuals to the D .. kind of slight trippy background colours like you've just been rubbing your eyes. taste is developing nicely, quite sour.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Little D.. as they cure, the smell is actually quite similar to Big D. more in this later...
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VG
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just got some feedback on the Contra D from a friend of mine who i get to test stuff out for me...
"glistening buds, smelling earthy, terpentine, Coffee oils, pine and lime... potent with a heavy stone"

i'm also running a little plant of the second 'Big D' to see if the terpene profile is similar to the one i've run, and doing another run of both from clone. Pics soon.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Couple of pics of the second Big D pheno... this is the seed plant flowered out in just a 3 litre pot

The terpene profile seems much the same as the others at this point.. its interesting that this is less classic chem funk than the C4DD. It has the sour/fuely/terps smells, but also the quite fresh funk of pine and lime. The coffee smells are more like bitter coffee oils from smelling coffee beans than a cup of coffee.
I'm really glad the big phenos are great to smoke and potent.

I need to pop some more seeds to find a big D male or two.. and then i think the best way forward with this will be to make F2s with the big ones.. leaving the li'l Ds out of the mix - cute as they are!

at about 7 weeks, i'm going to struggle to show just how vigorous these plants are in my small-ass cabs... i do have another lst'd plant of each a week into flower so that will keep the show going.

picture.php

picture.php

VG :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here's the 2 big D phenos i got from the test grow, Lst'd and at 2 weeks (from clone)

you can from the first pic that there is a tiny bit of the Chem D leaf streak on a couple of the leaves (top left and bottom right)

picture.php
picture.php

and the other one
picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi mate!

i'll probably do some kind of test cross on these girls... i have a reversed Chem D x Bubba that might be interesting..
But really i need to find a big D male, ive concluded after smoking and pondering.. and smoking a bit more -that the way to go is with the big phenos. So big D F2s and it may be an awesome thing to use as an outcross for slower lines like the bubba - bringing in some vigor. so yes big plans. i'll pop a bunch of these as soon as i have room.

which brings me to a question. Can i be fairly sure that the segregation we've seen in these big/little phenos is down to DNA and not mitochondrial DNA which would get passed by the mother? basically am i going to get a chance of inherited vigor in the plants by using a male Contra D in crosses rather than a female?
i'm pretty sure the answer is yes.. but i'm not 100% sure how mito. DNA is inherited.

VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
With mtdna, we don't need to worry about anything other than a build up of spontaneous mutations. It gets passed exclusively from mother plant to seed intact. No meiosis occurs, no separation of strands, just simple "here you go love, here's mine" sort of thing mother to offspring. Therefore, yes you can be sure that the variance in height was down to Tall and Short genes, separating into classes of Tall and Tall genes and Short and Short genes. Therefore, the offspring of Tall and Tall x Tall and Tall, will create Tall plants. Your vigour will come from the mtdna, which isn't so much how tall it gets, but how quickly it gets there, how healthy it seems, how much light it converts to energy, basically how long it takes to double it's mass under specific conditions.
So yes, by using a mother plant with high vigour, you give your offspring greater vigour than by using a mother with poor vigour.
That's why it matters which way round you do fem x fems.
Sorry for the long winded and basic answer, I know I could have just said, yeah you're right, but I like to detail it out for the next guy reading.

eyesdownchronic

Hi mate!

i'll probably do some kind of test cross on these girls... i have a reversed Chem D x Bubba that might be interesting..
But really i need to find a big D male, ive concluded after smoking and pondering.. and smoking a bit more -that the way to go is with the big phenos. So big D F2s and it may be an awesome thing to use as an outcross for slower lines like the bubba - bringing in some vigor. so yes big plans. i'll pop a bunch of these as soon as i have room.

which brings me to a question. Can i be fairly sure that the segregation we've seen in these big/little phenos is down to DNA and not mitochondrial DNA which would get passed by the mother? basically am i going to get a chance of inherited vigor in the plants by using a male Contra D in crosses rather than a female?
i'm pretty sure the answer is yes.. but i'm not 100% sure how mito. DNA is inherited.

VG

funny, im planning to go the exact opposite way.
BTW thanks for the beans . :huggg:

i think GMT covered that pretty well...
but , i wonder how much of an effect inbreeding depression could have played on those lil D's.

best way to find out is make some more crosses and pop the seeds haha.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks mate. It's not just tallness in the big phenos, they have great structure too, very nice short internodes etc. they are 'big' as well as tall if that makes sense. They also showed sex in veg before all the rest of the plants which had been put into 12/12 no auto traits though

Using a female is obviously not a choice if i'm outcrossing to a clone only like bubba.. but hopefully it will pass some 'big and fastness' to the bubba and maybe some others.

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts