What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Contra D - Chem D x C4DD - Info and grow-along.

eyesdownchronic

Gotta love that variation. I wonder where pollinating the big female with the little male would take ya. From a breeding standpoint those runty ones can be the best.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks eyesdown, yeah this has really caught my interest too, for sure i would like to do that pairing.. and to the little D as well. I'm going to try and at least get a few tester seeds made on this round.. but the little male has made a few flowers but not seen any pollen yet. What comes out.. who knows.. but there is only one way to find out!

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the 'little D' female i think at about 3 weeks, cute!

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Magoluci, the little D male started dropping a bit of pollen today, so hopefully i can make some seeds with both the 'Big D' and 'little D' girls.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
So its c4 to Chem D bx3 getting bxed to the D for a fourth generation now. Essentially cubing the Chem D from the Chem 4 cross. And you've found segregation in growth genes. Not surprising really, what is surprising is the extent of the difference. How is the node count difference? The small ones seem much tighter than the tall ones. When you talk of vigour, are you talking just height or node count too?
I think you are right to use the most vigorous as the mother, and the least similar male, to restore some genetic variety to the offspring. This stage of cubing is almost like creating an F1 again if the genes have separated so clearly. All offspring inheriting one of each. Should be a very uniform appearance to the offspring seeds. But their kids will probably separate too. It might also be an opportunity to remove the short genes from the line altogether, by just doing a big to big cross. But I'd only do that myself if the big plants also had a higher node count for their age.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks so much for stopping by, that's really what i was hoping to hear!
Haven't node counted but will do (do i count all nodes and opposite node pairs as 2 ?.. lol i can see why you like tri's now)
but both plants have good structure i would say. the small has a natural wide branching and is small in every way with small leaves - and the tall has decent internodes it isn't just all stem. long petioles but you can't have everything.

i think this is the third bx since the outcross of rez's D ibl to Chem 4... but i guess his Chem D ibl would have been a bx itself.

of course i'm getting ahead of myself because it needs to be great smoke to make it worthwhile.

thanks
VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Thanks so much for stopping by, that's really what i was hoping to hear!
Haven't node counted but will do (do i count all nodes and opposite node pairs as 2 ?.. lol i can see why you like tri's now)

lmao, no mate, count each pair or group, as one node.

i think this is the third bx since the outcross of rez's D ibl to Chem 4... but i guess his Chem D ibl would have been a bx itself.

yeah I was counting the one Rez did too

eyesdownchronic

I was thinking more along the lines that the small pheno is an inbred chem d line showing some inbreeding depression, whereas the significantly larger pheno is more of a hybrid of chem d and 4 traits. Ultimately I think crossing both the tall and short pheno with the small male would be worthwhile. unfortunate there was no larger pheno male.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'd never thought of it like that.. but yes i guess there are 4 bx's and that would help explain things a bit better. It's what you said :
.. This stage of cubing is almost like creating an F1 again if the genes have separated so clearly. All offspring inheriting one of each. Should be a very uniform appearance to the offspring seeds...
that has really helped cement the plan.. it's what i've been talking to eyesdown about already and it's nice to confirm that its a potentially worthwhile thing to pursue!

eyesdown, the small ones do have resemblance to the D but i would say they are more bushy and branchy, stunted and slightly mutant perhaps but with otherwise desirable structure. The tall seems nothing like any of them that ive seen.

i popped 6 seeds for the test grow and chucked the tallest one as i thought it'd likely be a male (DOH!)... the smallest one was a LOT more runty than the 2 small ones i kept
small number of seeds but probably 3 of each pheno.

plenty more seeds though ..

VG

loyral

The lil d looks like the meat gas pheno i had with og chem and x ..i somehow never flowered one back in the day arrrg..i think this freaks could be real chem gas phenos..they have a old world feel so stinky no hollow gooey stems with kinda nestle hairs in my case..resinous cringe dark green leather seedslings smelling of chem incense meat...almost like a deaddass whiff of some straight mexhaze..

With another og chem x chemX hazex

I made. . this phenos was popping up like 25% idiot me culled all cringe phenos, beliving it must be the haze pheno and i wanted the chem lol...

So i somehow think if u cross it, u will see it more often but not in a mix pheno, allways separate..it might be really just from inbreed or lol its just soo chemmy terp its burning itself ...

Lol whatever id love to have a fine chemd freak spitting seed back in stash..thanks for the show!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks loyral, yeah as a micro-grower, i'm interested in the possibilities of little D, and i will cross the m and f little D's to see what comes out... but i suspect that would be equivalent to more inbreeding (like pheno to like pheno) .. whereas dusting the big D girl with little D pollen, like GMT mentioned earlier, may be akin to an F1 hybrid and create more vigor... or at least adopt the vigor of big D !
The root growth on little D is slow as you might expect - so no rootbinding when i gave it a little up-pot when it started flower, the size is purely genetic rather than being dwarfed by constricted rootspace .
lol this cross back to the D was just a side-project really but doing the inbreeding of the C4DD to F2 and making the different crosses and bx's , and then growing them out together, has really taught me something .

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I now have all the phenos backed up with rooted cuttings... ive done test crosses for a few seeds of the big D x Little D and Little D x Little D.

So if anything turns out to be worthwhile i should be able to make the same cross again.

More pics in the next couple of days...

VG :tiphat:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
I think you've cost yourself 3 months there. I'd do the main pollination now. You may well end up ditching some seeds, but I'd rather waste seeds than time.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its a fair point mate, but the Big D plant in question is part of a test grow to evaluate and 'showcase' the C4DDD, along with the Little D plant.... so if i pollinate the whole plant it will compromise that.
Also the timing isn't great because the little D male is not dropping much pollen yet and now would be the time if i wanted to do that...
Plus there is a second Big D plant that i didn't have space to flower this time.
I like to run plants i use to make seed at least twice, so i tend to make a few tester seeds the first time and leave most of the plant sensi, and then run them again to make the bulk of the seeds if that seems justified.
Basically i suffer from not enough space ! For years i made loads of crosses but didn't have room to grow them out.. now i'm trying to do my own test grows as well - and whilst that takes up space and slows things down, things don't get stalled for ages.

VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Fair enough mate. I tend to work the other way around, pollinate plants of interest, and keep a back up in case the bit of bud left impresses me. If I'm really impressed, I run the seeds and the clone again. If I'm not, the seeds and clone get ditched. I get less bud, less impressive photos, but it lets me keep motoring. Personal choice thing only.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can see the sense in that, always interesting to hear how others go about it... i'm always trying to work out efficient ways of doing seed runs and testing the plants... but there are always distractions.. just like this segregation we have here lol.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, we are at about 4 weeks, here is Little D:
picture.php

the yellow spotting on the leaves i imagine derives from the D variegation and some calmag def... but it sorted itself out as the plant went into flower
picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aaaand Big D. keep in mind this plant has been shortened twice. again at about 4 weeks.
she has insisted in having sideshoots reach the canopy, even though i removed a few:
picture.php

she is starting to smell funky... but it is a different smell from the Chem D and the C4DD
looks different too..

picture.php

quite large trics:
picture.php

picture.php

VG