What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pine Tar Kush: Grow-along and hopefully make some seeds!

Truthful

We need more guys trying to get the PTK back out here. A little tip: Affie types are drought resistant strains they don't really like having wet feet they prefer a drier soil with fewer watering, like once a week.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all going ok still... collecting pollen from the males. girls budding up. will get some pics next week before i pollinate. i also have cuts rooted of all the plants

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi folks, did some pollination today, buds are looking quite good for saying the plants were topped-a bit more internode and more calyxs than than a deep chunk. and no sign of any male flowers yet at about 4 weeks or a bit more. didnt have much time but managed to grab a couple of pics
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

non

Veteran
finger crossed for successful pollination :) any smells describable coming from them?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
finger crossed for successful pollination :) any smells describable coming from them?

i meant to mention smells :)

there is a sweet, piney hashy smell developing, definitely not something i have come across before! :woohoo:

Buddy Guy

I grew out many PTK's about 10 yrs ago. The common ground was all that leaf! The nodes stayed close together and so did the developing buds, which in my experience, were not very dense for such a wild un-worked variety. Yields were so so. Some more than others but they all seemed to be on the light side of the scale. SMells were of wood, pine, earth and hash that was left in a WW2 footlocker in an abandoned car sitting in the sun for 50 yrs. The buzz was fairly potent though. It's one saving grace IMHO.

If one could lock down the piney pheno to marry it to it's namesake, I believe it could be a seller. With a name like Pine Tar Kush, it paints a sort of picture right?

I don't believe many others have worked the line too far from what I know. Which is a pittance really. My overall impression working with about 30 or so females was the bitch needs taming. Long flowering indicas that produce mildly potent, lightweight buds is not a platform I was willing to build from. I believe if it were mass produced as is, the mystique this strain has gathered would evaporate quite quickly.

Who knows what the next plant will bring though? I'm not in any way trying to dampen the enthusiasm of your thread VG...honestly. Just sharing my experience and fwiw opinion.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buddy, i've always thought similar, PTK is always going to have a 'niche' demand - amongst enthusiasts and breeders... but the 'pine' terpenes are pretty unique and word is that they breed fairly true.
my plans is to make a couple of crosses as well as some PTK seeds.

i was curious to try this variety myself and also thought it was about time some fresh seeds were put out there - otherwise these lines are at risk of dying out.

in other news, i looked at the plants this morning and saw lots o' withered pistils - looks like the pollen has taken!

VG

oldbootz

Veteran
Hi VG, just found this thread. All the best with the seed making. Looking forwards to seeing some of the flowering seeded plants. Its an interesting old line.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi DC, if all goes well i hope to send stock to both seedbay and breeders retail.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I grew out many PTK's about 10 yrs ago. The common ground was all that leaf! The nodes stayed close together and so did the developing buds, which in my experience, were not very dense for such a wild un-worked variety. Yields were so so. Some more than others but they all seemed to be on the light side of the scale. SMells were of wood, pine, earth and hash that was left in a WW2 footlocker in an abandoned car sitting in the sun for 50 yrs. The buzz was fairly potent though. It's one saving grace IMHO.

If one could lock down the piney pheno to marry it to it's namesake, I believe it could be a seller. With a name like Pine Tar Kush, it paints a sort of picture right?

I don't believe many others have worked the line too far from what I know. Which is a pittance really. My overall impression working with about 30 or so females was the bitch needs taming. Long flowering indicas that produce mildly potent, lightweight buds is not a platform I was willing to build from. I believe if it were mass produced as is, the mystique this strain has gathered would evaporate quite quickly.

Who knows what the next plant will bring though? I'm not in any way trying to dampen the enthusiasm of your thread VG...honestly. Just sharing my experience and fwiw opinion.

I too understand what your saying. I've had similar experiences. I've only grown about half what you did but mine grew like yours did I think. The nodes were fairly tight and they were pretty leafy. They didn't produce a ton of resin either.

The smell was ok though there wasn't a lot of it. I had a plant or two that was on the piney side. They all looked very uniform as well. A couple did have some potency.

They did have a different look to them than what I commonly see in WLD varieties. The leaves had a weirdness to the color. I'm not sure how to really describe it. They had short petioles and they all pointed upward to varying degrees.

With that said, I think it's a very cool variety to play with. You can do your part and maintain the line or you can play with something that is unworked yet has so much known potential. Its a good line to try to improve because so many of its traits are uniform and things like resin coverage and bud structure or leafyness are so easy to notice improvements in.. So much out there has been so heavily worked that it's a lot harder for home/hobbyists to do anything other than just make seeds.

I think that growers that do even just a tiny bit of research will realize what's in these seeds. Those that buy before doing any..... deserve to be disappointed.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good points RL, i have noticed that the leaves point up at a strange angle too.

i think the biggest pleasant surprise is the vigor, it still has quite a lot of vigor as well as good uniformity for many traits, some plants look like they will yield more impressive buds than others though. having grown a couple of other inbred indica/WLD like DC they were very slow. the PTK has much more vigor.
i think PTK represents a rarity in that it not like much else. i love growing the more unusual strains just for the experience and diversity.... but also it allows us to try and work something different and unique into our projects because, as said, lots of things are very samey these days. There are some good reasons for that but it does get a bit dull.

VG

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
good points RL, i have noticed that the leaves point up at a strange angle too.

i think the biggest pleasant surprise is the vigor, it still has quite a lot of vigor as well as good uniformity for many traits, some plants look like they will yield more impressive buds than others though. having grown a couple of other inbred indica/WLD like DC they were very slow. the PTK has much more vigor.
i think PTK represents a rarity in that it not like much else. i love growing the more unusual strains just for the experience and diversity.... but also it allows us to try and work something different and unique into our projects because, as said, lots of things are very samey these days. There are some good reasons for that but it does get a bit dull.

VG

I agree. I think that goes to show how unworked the line truly is. PTK was more vigorous than x18, but X18 had a nice amount of space between nodes and branches much more in my experience so even though it looked as big, there wasn't as much plant.lol

I grew PTK along side an equal amount of DC both times I've grown it. I can't remember off the top of my head but there were around 8 of each, grown in 5 gal buckets full of my mishmash mix, outdoors in the SFV. They were grown untopped 2 years in a row.

The PTK was definitely a faster starter. PTK didn't branch out too much. DC didn't either but more than the PTK did.

PTK, unlike DC, had a much more dominate main cola than DC which basically had a more stubby look to the plants. Not quite bushy, but sawed off compared to the PTK's. PTK "stacked" well, might be what I'm trying to say.

Not to get off topic but (real quick lol) DC's a tough plant for me think about in terms of vigor. It's short but her cells are dividing like a mofo. Just not in the places thats usually associated with vigor. If that makes any sense?haha

I think Mr. Hill posted that diddy or something like it and I can't for the life of me shake it out! So DC's tough! lol

I really dig the unusual and different. I think that's what varieties are suppose to be.:)