What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pre-98 Bubba x (Katsu Bubba x Bubba Kush)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, this is a project ive been working on for a while and is nearly ready for testing.

I obtained some Bubba Kush regular seeds (indirectly) from an oldschool member here at IC called Stash. Years ago he used to be in a seed trading group which included Katsu Bluebird amongst its members. (big thanks to Stash for maintaining and sharing these genetics)
As many of you know Katsu was well known for his Bubba cut, and he was also very tenacious when it came to sourcing genetics... the story goes that Katsu obtained some pure Bubba Kush pollen from a guy online and dusted his Katsu Bubba cut with it. Stash traded some of the F1 seeds with Katsu, grew them out and made 'F2s'.
it is some of these F2s that i managed to get hold of and grow out.
from 6 seeds i got one dud, one girl and 4 boys. I used pollen from all 4 of the boys to dust a couple of pre-98 Bubba plants from my cut... and the seeds are pretty much ready for harvest.

i also made some F3 seeds by pollinating the only girl i got from the katsu F2s.

Having never grown out the Katsu cut of bubba i can only compare the smell of the buds to my pre-98 bubba cut, and i would say that the F2 has the classic bubba funk, but it is a sweeter, creamy coffee smell compared to the more bitter smell of the pre98. The katsu F2 also has definite pine and minty smells, as well as being a little more perfumed.

From my research on the Katsu cut, the buds are more spear shaped and trangular than the golf balls of the pre-98, with huge calyxes that will stack.
The F2 plant has longer buds still i would say, although it is hard to draw too many conclusions from the bud structure as it is heavily seeded which obviously changes the look of the buds quite considerably. Also being an F2 it may represent a pheno that leans strongly to one or other sides of the average pheno. It certainly seems to share the same huge calyx structure of the katsu cut, with bubba-esque purpling.
i am vegging up a cut if the F2 to grow as sensi to see how it looks then. in my experience plants from seed can grow quite differently to a plant grown from a cutting.
here are some mixed veg pics of the katsu F2's
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here are some seeded bud pics of the only Katsu F2 girl - at about 8-9 weeks
As you can see the buds are longer than you see on the katsu cut and a bit more leafy, but they smell amazing.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VG

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
I can't wait for these to hit the Bay!! I take it they will be regular M/F seeds?

I'll still be waiting for the Pre98's to be relisted :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks guys, im very excited to see how these come out myself... i'd heard a couple of times that there were folks 'in the hills' that still kept bubba as a seedline, so i feel very blessed to have a chance of growing these out.

and yes, regular male/female seeds :)

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the seeds are ready, well i need to separate them from the dry buds but pretty much ready :)

i'll need a tester or two for these if anyone is interested. I'd like the testers to be able to pop all of the 10 seeds straight away, and some knowledge of the bubbas would be good.

thanks

VG

RckyMtRdnk

I've been waiting on those seeds inparticular. Great news! They should be at the bay soon then? Thanx for posting the information VG. I'm hoping to get in on this drop.

Hey VG, I had offered before and have added to my resume a little bit. My garden is always open to test the fire that you put out. Would love a chance, especially since I am testing some Bubba(Katsu) x Yeti OG F3 right now...mmmmm, let me at 'Em!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the offers so far, i'll reply to them soon when i have an idea of how many seeds i have to play with

I've been waiting on those seeds inparticular. Great news! They should be at the bay soon then? Thanx for posting the information VG. I'm hoping to get in on this drop.

hey Rcky, i'd like to get the testing underway and see how the plants look before i sell any seeds of this, perhaps i'll release a few packs once ive seen they are ok, but i'll keep most of them till the test grows are done.

VG