What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Kush x Bubba Kush (fem Cross) info, grow-along and test grows.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
as for breeding, your choice, it is reasonable to be cautious about it given the situation, but that mandarin one sounds tempting lol.
if this was a 'ladyboy' type male as in a female expressing as male, then seed you got from the cross would potentially all be female, but then if they expressed the same male tendencies then that wouldn't be too much good.
i'm pretty sure that one more detailed report of a male was described as expressing as a 'full male' with no intersex, in fact i don't think there has been any intersex reported.... so your 2/2 males makes me wonder if there could be some pollen came from somewhere else, but the way i work makes that pretty impossible imo, though who knows - anything is possible even if very unlikely.
at the end of the day the only way to know for sure if its a good idea is to do it and see what you get. that's the bottom line, especially if you are looking for nice 'keeper' plants or just some variety

Bud_Guy

hi guys, and thanks for stepping in there shmavis.

BG, you are right, 2 out of 2 males is not what you'd expect! - sorry about that i hope it didn't mess you about too much!

'the odd male' was the best way to describe the reports we were getting of males in this line, but tbh this was a small batch and there haven't been that many grows shared.
the reason i didn't immediately discontinue these were because, growing them out myself, i thought the resin production was pretty impressive and the pedigree worth exploring. Those smells you describe sound awesome. it will be interesting if you grow the rest out, both for how many m/f and for phenos.

VG
Hi VG, thanks for taking the time to reply.
I agree with you 100% that the pedigree is worth exploring and I for one am very happy you chose to sell them as regs and not discontinue the line.

Bud_Guy

as for breeding, your choice, it is reasonable to be cautious about it given the situation, but that mandarin one sounds tempting lol.
if this was a 'ladyboy' type male as in a female expressing as male, then seed you got from the cross would potentially all be female, but then if they expressed the same male tendencies then that wouldn't be too much good.
i'm pretty sure that one more detailed report of a male was described as expressing as a 'full male' with no intersex, in fact i don't think there has been any intersex reported.... so your 2/2 males makes me wonder if there could be some pollen came from somewhere else, but the way i work makes that pretty impossible imo, though who knows - anything is possible even if very unlikely.
at the end of the day the only way to know for sure if its a good idea is to do it and see what you get. that's the bottom line, especially if you are looking for nice 'keeper' plants or just some variety

My gut feeling is that it's not stray pollen.
I decided to let them go a little bit longer. I haven't spotted any female parts yet. I'll keep the thread updated.
20181213_162527.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey BG, that looks very much like a straight male, and quite a handsome one to boot!

Dank.Frank pointed out in a rep. message that he had never noticed any 'orange' scents coming from bubba or PK breeding projects, which is a good point and may point to stray pollen, but that said, i personally have never grown any plants that smell of oranges at all, ever, and certainly not collected pollen from any - so who knows, it is what it is, and such a plant may be worth pursuing.

Keep us posted,
VG.
P.s. thanks for the encouragement for my keeping these seeds available, the m/f weirdness has always troubled me a little bit, but yes i thought that selling them as regs was the best way.
pps, are you awareof the peyote purple variety from CBG? that is a bubba kush S2 afaik that is also sold as a regular because of 'males' appearing in the line. so there is a bit of previous on this.

Bud_Guy

Howdy Verdant.
I've never had anything from BK S1's with "orange" so I agree it's odd but not out of the realms of possibilty.

I have heard of peyote purple if I'm not mistaken CBG used the katsu cut. The "soapy" smell and low yields discouraged me growing that one. Super resinous though from all reports.

From my experience and that of others your BK S1's don't have the problem of males, I wonder how the S2's would hold up.

Bud_Guy

Hi everyone. So the more I read on this topic the more it's changed my mind. I'm convinced it's pollen contamination.

The berry/skunky smelling one is of no surprise but it's sex is (well not really considering...)

The mandarin one, who knows what pollen landed on the girl and made that.

Not sure if I will waste anymore time, space and money on this strain.

Damn curious tho, I know if the genetics are legit there is fire in there.

What's a guy to do...?

Bud_Guy

I let those 2 "males" go about 6 or 7 weeks and no sign of pistils. Of course that's not to say there wouldn't have been at around 8 or 9 weeks.

Any input by people more knowledgeable greatly appreciated.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey BG, thanks for the pics, i think you have to treat these as males as that is what they behave as. I am thinking you are right about the pollen contamination but of course it us hard to be 100% sure... and its hard to draw conclusions about exactly how many males are present with just 2 seeds popped.
Did you keep or use any pollen.??

with these seeds i guess we will never know for sure and it is what it is.
As i said, given the pedigree and its possibilities, i thought the best i could do is sell them at regular seeds price and make it clear that males were appearing for some reason - then folks can make their own decision as to whether they should give it a try.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys i've been wondering about whether to post up about this for a while....
So i Crossed the Pre-98 with a reversed katsu bubba. the seed harvest was disappointing - about 50 seeds. I planted one out of curiosity and it germed and seemed quite nice and vigorous. I flipped it to flower and went away for a week.
Got back and the plant had grown right up into the light

- and IT WAS A MALE !

So im wondering if this is another indication of something going on with the katsu bubba and "Male' fems.
It was just after i got back off holiday that i found it, i had very little time before my kids were up and about and i had to sort quite a bit of stuff out so i chopped the plant without taking a photo, and i wish i had maybe kept it but too late now. i did get a chance to have a good look at it and it looked like a straight male with no intersex traits.
The Peyote Purple is derived from fem'd katsu bubba and throws males.
The Purple Kush is pretty defintely related to the bubba (maybe the katsu) and the PK x pre-98 bubba throws males.
and now the pre-98 x Katsu has thrown a male.

NEVER any reports of males with the Pre-98 S1s and a LOT of those have been sold.

I plan to pop more of the seeds for a better test run. Again it is pretty impossible that i could have any pollen contamination... the previous run was all sensi.

so, inconclusive, but the plot thickens....

VG

Raho

Veteran
Hey guys i've been wondering about whether to post up about this for a while....
So i Crossed the Pre-98 with a reversed katsu bubba. the seed harvest was disappointing - about 50 seeds. I planted one out of curiosity and it germed and seemed quite nice and vigorous. I flipped it to flower and went away for a week.
Got back and the plant had grown right up into the light

- and IT WAS A MALE !

So im wondering if this is another indication of something going on with the katsu bubba and "Male' fems.
It was just after i got back off holiday that i found it, i had very little time before my kids were up and about and i had to sort quite a bit of stuff out so i chopped the plant without taking a photo, and i wish i had maybe kept it but too late now. i did get a chance to have a good look at it and it looked like a straight male with no intersex traits.
The Peyote Purple is derived from fem'd katsu bubba and throws males.
The Purple Kush is pretty defintely related to the bubba (maybe the katsu) and the PK x pre-98 bubba throws males.
and now the pre-98 x Katsu has thrown a male.

NEVER any reports of males with the Pre-98 S1s and a LOT of those have been sold.

I plan to pop more of the seeds for a better test run. Again it is pretty impossible that i could have any pollen contamination... the previous run was all sensi.

so, inconclusive, but the plot thickens....

VG

Hio VG,
Pitty you didn't pick up one of those genetic sex test kits designed for seedlings.
Could have easily found out if it was a genetic male (XY) or a female (XX) that presented as a full male.

I know Phylos was the first to offer those kits, and NOBODY would want to give them a penny these days. However, I think there are other companies offering the service now.

If you had even a dried piece of leaf from that plant, you might be able to put a "smear" of the genetics on their collection sheet (soak leaf in water first maybe?)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Raho, I intend to grow some more out so may find more then which will help confirm and may allow me to do some testing (although i am in UK) .

I also want to make more seeds with a different reversal and pollination, which would prove beyond doubt that there is no confusion of pollen.

i think there is defo something strange going on... I never understood how i could have got pollen contamination making the PK x bubba, and now it seems i have a lead.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
I love a good who-done-it..
I’ll get my deer stalker, magnifying glass, pipe and padded leather arm chair :D

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Crazy I had popped some of these a few years ago and got a male, forgot they were fems and it was a strong healthy male that looked very pre 98 bubba dom in veg (i dont know what lvpk looks like in veg but from my experience it looked very bubba) so I bred it to a few things. Popped a few beans and got some good crosses. I’ll tey n find a pic and upload it. Out of 5 seeds I popped I got 4 female and one herm that showed in preflower. No nannas on the females tho, and thats only a small amount of seeds so not a good indicator of this being the norm or not from straight males coming outa fem seeds. I want to pop some more now n see wut else shows up...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Heres the 4 phenos,
(pre 98 bubba x lvpk) x sureshot

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I got a few beans left think I will pop some more soon...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Look lovely, 4 girls and one herm? thats encouraging and the idea that the males were actually strongly intersex females is still in play, but like you say not enough to be conclusive. Interesting, thanks for reporting back!

VG