Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Kush x Bubba Kush (fem Cross) info, grow-along and test grows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let those 2 "males" go about 6 or 7 weeks and no sign of pistils. Of course that's not to say there wouldn't have been at around 8 or 9 weeks.

Any input by people more knowledgeable greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hey BG, thanks for the pics, i think you have to treat these as males as that is what they behave as. I am thinking you are right about the pollen contamination but of course it us hard to be 100% sure... and its hard to draw conclusions about exactly how many males are present with just 2 seeds popped.
      Did you keep or use any pollen.??

with these seeds i guess we will never know for sure and it is what it is.
      As i said, given the pedigree and its possibilities, i thought the best i could do is sell them at regular seeds price and make it clear that males were appearing for some reason - then folks can make their own decision as to whether they should give it a try.

VG
      My contributions to this website in no way imply support for any political or cultural views promoted here.
      -----
      To the large and singular furniture of this noble island i have added from foreign places all the variety of herbs and flowers that i might any way obtain. I've laboured with the soil to make it fit for plants, and with the plants that they might delight in the soil - so they might live and prosper under our climate as in their native and proper country.
      Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Comment

Hey guys i've been wondering about whether to post up about this for a while....
        So i Crossed the Pre-98 with a reversed katsu bubba. the seed harvest was disappointing - about 50 seeds. I planted one out of curiosity and it germed and seemed quite nice and vigorous. I flipped it to flower and went away for a week.
        Got back and the plant had grown right up into the light

- and IT WAS A MALE !

So im wondering if this is another indication of something going on with the katsu bubba and "Male' fems.
        It was just after i got back off holiday that i found it, i had very little time before my kids were up and about and i had to sort quite a bit of stuff out so i chopped the plant without taking a photo, and i wish i had maybe kept it but too late now. i did get a chance to have a good look at it and it looked like a straight male with no intersex traits.
        The Peyote Purple is derived from fem'd katsu bubba and throws males.
        The Purple Kush is pretty defintely related to the bubba (maybe the katsu) and the PK x pre-98 bubba throws males.
        and now the pre-98 x Katsu has thrown a male.

NEVER any reports of males with the Pre-98 S1s and a LOT of those have been sold.

I plan to pop more of the seeds for a better test run. Again it is pretty impossible that i could have any pollen contamination... the previous run was all sensi.

so, inconclusive, but the plot thickens....

VG
        My contributions to this website in no way imply support for any political or cultural views promoted here.
        -----
        To the large and singular furniture of this noble island i have added from foreign places all the variety of herbs and flowers that i might any way obtain. I've laboured with the soil to make it fit for plants, and with the plants that they might delight in the soil - so they might live and prosper under our climate as in their native and proper country.
        Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Comment

Originally posted by VerdantGreen View Post
          Hey guys i've been wondering about whether to post up about this for a while....
          So i Crossed the Pre-98 with a reversed katsu bubba. the seed harvest was disappointing - about 50 seeds. I planted one out of curiosity and it germed and seemed quite nice and vigorous. I flipped it to flower and went away for a week.
          Got back and the plant had grown right up into the light

- and IT WAS A MALE !

So im wondering if this is another indication of something going on with the katsu bubba and "Male' fems.
          It was just after i got back off holiday that i found it, i had very little time before my kids were up and about and i had to sort quite a bit of stuff out so i chopped the plant without taking a photo, and i wish i had maybe kept it but too late now. i did get a chance to have a good look at it and it looked like a straight male with no intersex traits.
          The Peyote Purple is derived from fem'd katsu bubba and throws males.
          The Purple Kush is pretty defintely related to the bubba (maybe the katsu) and the PK x pre-98 bubba throws males.
          and now the pre-98 x Katsu has thrown a male.

NEVER any reports of males with the Pre-98 S1s and a LOT of those have been sold.

I plan to pop more of the seeds for a better test run. Again it is pretty impossible that i could have any pollen contamination... the previous run was all sensi.

so, inconclusive, but the plot thickens....

VG

Hio VG,
          Pitty you didn't pick up one of those genetic sex test kits designed for seedlings.
          Could have easily found out if it was a genetic male (XY) or a female (XX) that presented as a full male.

I know Phylos was the first to offer those kits, and NOBODY would want to give them a penny these days. However, I think there are other companies offering the service now.

If you had even a dried piece of leaf from that plant, you might be able to put a "smear" of the genetics on their collection sheet (soak leaf in water first maybe?)
          Raho
          Check out the Haze Hybrid action here:
          The Haze hybrid Thread
          My old oHaze grow:
          Everything x oBoy

“Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”

Comment

Thanks Raho, I intend to grow some more out so may find more then which will help confirm and may allow me to do some testing (although i am in UK) .

I also want to make more seeds with a different reversal and pollination, which would prove beyond doubt that there is no confusion of pollen.

i think there is defo something strange going on... I never understood how i could have got pollen contamination making the PK x bubba, and now it seems i have a lead.
            -----
            Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Comment

I love a good who-done-it..
              I’ll get my deer stalker, magnifying glass, pipe and padded leather arm chair
              sigpic

Comment

lol, it'll take a while but i will do more 'testing' on this ...
                -----
                Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Comment

Crazy I had popped some of these a few years ago and got a male, forgot they were fems and it was a strong healthy male that looked very pre 98 bubba dom in veg (i dont know what lvpk looks like in veg but from my experience it looked very bubba) so I bred it to a few things. Popped a few beans and got some good crosses. I’ll tey n find a pic and upload it. Out of 5 seeds I popped I got 4 female and one herm that showed in preflower. No nannas on the females tho, and thats only a small amount of seeds so not a good indicator of this being the norm or not from straight males coming outa fem seeds. I want to pop some more now n see wut else shows up...
                  DEATHS FROM CIGARETTES:.......300,000
                  DEATHS FROM ALCOHOL:.............90,000
                  DEATHS FROM CANNABIS .............................. .............................. .......someone might die........someday ...........................
                  -CA Med Patient in compliance with SB 420/Prop 215-
                  IG Drohammad
                  Current Grow -Growers Choice 720w vs Momac LED 640w-
                  Current Grow -Mars SP3000 and SP250-
                  -Get Mo's Grow Log-
                  -Lemon Rado & OG Tini testers-
                  -sp250s vs sf4000-
                  -Relentless Genetics Grow-
                  -Ace genetics grow-
                  BloomShotz!!
                  Dried Bud Shots...
                  Vert Baby!!!

Comment

Heres the 4 phenos,
                    (pre 98 bubba x lvpk) x sureshot

I got a few beans left think I will pop some more soon...
                    DEATHS FROM CIGARETTES:.......300,000
                    DEATHS FROM ALCOHOL:.............90,000
                    DEATHS FROM CANNABIS .............................. .............................. .......someone might die........someday ...........................
                    -CA Med Patient in compliance with SB 420/Prop 215-
                    IG Drohammad
                    Current Grow -Growers Choice 720w vs Momac LED 640w-
                    Current Grow -Mars SP3000 and SP250-
                    -Get Mo's Grow Log-
                    -Lemon Rado & OG Tini testers-
                    -sp250s vs sf4000-
                    -Relentless Genetics Grow-
                    -Ace genetics grow-
                    BloomShotz!!
                    Dried Bud Shots...
                    Vert Baby!!!

Comment

Look lovely, 4 girls and one herm? thats encouraging and the idea that the males were actually strongly intersex females is still in play, but like you say not enough to be conclusive. Interesting, thanks for reporting back!

VG
                      -----
                      Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Comment

Hi all, as some of you may have noticed..Tom Hill has been posting again. WHat he said about males in fem lines was interesting, and reassuring to me.. it seems that it is possible to get 'males' from fem crosses:

Originally posted by Tom Hill View Post

Finally had another male pop up in some of our feminized autos we're running for winter seed production and had a chance to use the youPCR screen. I know that both parents were true females and made the seed myself. Phenotypically, the plant was 100% male--not a single female hair present (they often show up on the tips of pollen sacks on hermaphrodites). The genomic screen came back negative for a Y chromosome. I don't have time or space at the moment to let it flower and pollinate other known females for progeny testing, but that's what needs to be done to move us all forward on this.

Haha like Mussolini from the balcony son of a bing son of a boom guessing correctly on the first try - told you guys.
                        -----
                        Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Comment

Assumed I jumped in on this thread already, but apparently not. It definitely seems that some of the kush lines have had X to auto some ancestors. There is a paper proved by Sam in tom hill's resurrection thread that shows the process of how X to autosome works. This would explain how random recombinations can cause an apparent female line to throw a few males without any Y chromosome present. I know some would argue that no Y means not male, frankly myself included, but some lines do work differently.
                          When as men, our only guide to right and wrong is the ability or inability to act, we cannot truly call ourselves men.

Copyrights on all photographic work are reserved

Comment

HI GMT i'll bring sam's link here, i had a quick look at the paper a while back but still need to read it properly... i'm still keen on trying to find some way of harnessing a 'benefit' to this phenomenum or at least testing it.. but having chatted to you about it, it seems tricky to prove anything from a test grow.

Originally posted by Sam_Skunkman View Post
                            https://sci-hub.se/10.3389/fpls.2020.569958

Genetic Architecture of Flowering Time and Sex Determination in Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.): A Genome-Wide Association Study.
                            Petit, J., Salentijn, E. M. J., Paulo, M.-J., Denneboom, C., & Trindade, L. M.
                            Frontiers in Plant Science, 11.(2020).
                            doi:10.3389/fpls.2020.569958

I will add it to my IC BIB this week
                            -----
                            Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Comment

Yeah, very tricky. I've been thinking too, the only way would be to find a good male ( that orange scented one someone else found would have been perfect). And outcross it to a known X Y line female. If all offspring were female, you'd know it was down to x to autosome ancestry. Of course f2's f3's would be a lucky dip again.
                              When as men, our only guide to right and wrong is the ability or inability to act, we cannot truly call ourselves men.

Comment

Oh zif sent me an interesting one too. I have some unanswered Q's on it, which is always a cause for caution, but its an interesting read and one to add

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...823v2.full.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X