What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubba Kush S1s: Info and grow-along

H

Huckster79

Ok im on day 73 w a bubba, trichs still mostly clear to cloudy.... wtf? This is really long for bubba aint it?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that does sound like a long time, but there are many factors that contribute to the timing of ripeness. i also take into account other indicators as well as trics.

VG

Dakine

Veteran
Hey Verdant, I was wondering what other indicators would you be watching for besides Trichome Heads?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya, i check the calyxes - which should swell when ripe, the fading of the leaves, whether the pistils have withered/gone red/brown or not, and if the plant is still producing new pistils.
VG

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
Thanks Tom! :)

I find I struggle trying to explain smell. The leather-n-something profile is one I’ve never experienced before.... I also meant to mention that duration of the high is really good, around two hours, and there’s no crash. It’s a very smooth ride.

And while I’m not a yield chaser I was really happy to pull over three ounces from one plant in soil, especially considering she’s supposed to be a less than average yielder. I also like that there was zero popcorn/larf. And the flowers have a great formation, tight but not rock hard, with nice sized bracts to easily break away from the nug.

Hope they make it to you, sure you won't be sorry. :cool:

I just got 2 packs in my mitts that arrived while i was away hunting.
these are in my next seed pop for sure :D

H

Huckster79

Im leary of pics right now... boulreguard bothers me.

Yea i think im going to harvest her soon, though i did catch some posts that said taken to 70 to 80 days is amazing

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
let us know how she is huckster, indeed some peeps do take the bubba longer for more narcotic effect!

LEDAstray

Sooo, it's been a few years since I stumbled upon a man named Verdant Green doing amazing things with LEDs and organics in small spaces and decided it was time to become self sufficient. Grabbed a pack of these from the first drop, felt it only right after everything i'd learned from the guy, but then my journey towards self sufficiency had to wait for more favourable conditions! Meh, life.....

Fast forward and I've finally set up a proper little percy grow.

Anyway, none of the seeds from that purchase sprouted, but then neither did any of the Mandala Fruitilicious seeds i procured around the same time, or any of the freebies. As I'm a newb i did try a couple of different techniques, organic cotton pads, straight into soil etc so I'm thinking/hoping it was a storage problem rather than user error. Although poor storage is user error. Mea culpa.

Luckily i noticed a couple of packs hidden among VGs wares on the bay a few weeks back and had a backup pack! Of these, 4 came up from the soil. 2 in the usual manner, and 2 little weirdos that grew their tap root out the soil and straight up in the air! Tried to give them some time to right themselves but with no signs of turning back i performed some delicate soil surgery and flipped them over. One survived, one didn't.

So I'm left with only 3 Bubbas. One looks healthy and seems to be growing well, the upside-down weirdo that's a week or so behind and a weakling that looks alot like VGs runt with the long middle fan blade that didn't survive. Going well so far!

3 Baby Bubbas a week or so ago

Weakling, had a little tip burn on the first leaves which was weird as they were in a light soil and hadn't been fed?

Headstand weirdo, slow going but seems to be recovering

The Healthy One, wish i had a couple more of these. No pressure young lady!

Group shot from yesterday. Got 5 BDBf2 seeds in plugs in the little prop trays. Not really for the newb grower but logistics means I have to go into flower in a couple of weeks so just trying to get the tent reasonably full and that's all I had. 3/5 are up, praying for at least 1 girl

Big respect to VG for the seeds, the education and everything he does for the community, you inspired me good sir!

I'll try and post pics at various points throughout the grow if all goes well.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi there, thanks for posting. we cant see the pics, check that the gallery is set to public... but it also might be because you need 50 posts or something..
anyway its great to hear that i inspired you! i hope the bubbas do well for you, not sure how you got 2 to grow upside down! hopefully they will sort themselves out after a few days recovering. you may have been better to try a more vigorous hybrid for your first grow because the bubbas can be slow.. but they are also pretty tough.
the bdb, you just need to keep a close eye on any girls in flower because you may get the odd intersex/hermie plant - comes with the territory for blueberry i'm afraid!

gl

VG

P.s. its always good to keep seeds in the freezer, or at least the fridge - otherwise they may only last a year or two.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi there, yes i have more here, i'll send some to the bay in a week or two once they have sorted a couple of other things out for me
cheers
VG

LEDAstray

Cheers VG, gallery set to public now. Not sure if it's helped or not as i could see the pics when i wasn't logged in?

Yeah, lesson learned on the storage:wallbash:. They were in a tupperware box in a drawer, didn't envision it being this long before popping! I'll have to do some shopping to keep the rest of the BDB company in the freezer:biggrin:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi there, yes can see them now, the others ones look fine, just a bit behind the biggest one!

keep them well watered, the fabric pots can dry out pretty quickly - get used to feeling the weight of them to give a good indication of how much water the soil has in it.

VG

LEDAstray

Hey VG,

Thought I'd give a quick update on how things are going.
Went with just the 3 Bubbas in the end as the BDB seedlings were all mutants (storage problems again!). Plants at 28 days 12/12 after 5-5 1/2 weeks veg.

As it's my first grow i decided I'd let the plants do there thing as much as possible, the most I've done is remove a few plate sized fan leaves. Not going to break any yield records but just trying to get a feel for the plants before forcing my will upon them.

The sickly looking runt has remained a sickly looking runt throughout but the tent is already under filled so I'm persevering with it.
The seedling that popped out the soil upside down recovered well and has grown into a bush by itself. Seemed to stop growing vertically 3-4 weeks into veg and let the side branches catch up. It's also the tallest by a couple of inches.
The last plant is classic xmas tree structure, has darker leaves and short petioles. Looked like cousin It from the Adams family during veg!

Few group shots throughout the grow.

Didn't bother with cuts of the runt but I've got a couple of rooted cuts of each of the other two.

All in all pretty pleased and can't wait to smoke some.

Thanks again VG!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for following up, they look nice, especially the two bigger ones. the one that bushed out looks like a great plant in particular. glad you took cuts as that might be a keeper if it smokes well!

cheers

VG

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Im leary of pics right now... boulreguard bothers me.

Yea i think im going to harvest her soon, though i did catch some posts that said taken to 70 to 80 days is amazing

Hey Huckster, so did you push out your harvest window to 80? If so, I'd love to hear your take on the final flowers. Narcotic?

Hey VG,

Thought I'd give a quick update on how things are going.
Went with just the 3 Bubbas in the end as the BDB seedlings were all mutants (storage problems again!). Plants at 28 days 12/12 after 5-5 1/2 weeks veg.

As it's my first grow i decided I'd let the plants do there thing as much as possible, the most I've done is remove a few plate sized fan leaves. Not going to break any yield records but just trying to get a feel for the plants before forcing my will upon them.

The sickly looking runt has remained a sickly looking runt throughout but the tent is already under filled so I'm persevering with it.
The seedling that popped out the soil upside down recovered well and has grown into a bush by itself. Seemed to stop growing vertically 3-4 weeks into veg and let the side branches catch up. It's also the tallest by a couple of inches.
The last plant is classic xmas tree structure, has darker leaves and short petioles. Looked like cousin It from the Adams family during veg!

Few group shots throughout the grow.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72111&pictureid=1736730&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72111&pictureid=1736724&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72111&pictureid=1736734&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72111&pictureid=1736747&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72111&pictureid=1736751&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Didn't bother with cuts of the runt but I've got a couple of rooted cuts of each of the other two.

All in all pretty pleased and can't wait to smoke some.

Thanks again VG!

Looking great! Best of luck.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
hi zach, thanks for clarifying, as i said the bubba in general is regarded by most as a slow vegger, and these being S1s - so further inbred than the cut - you will find some will have less vigor for sure, i would have thought you would be on average likely to get a 'runt' in every 5-pack, so the best thing to do is to grow out a whole pack or as many as you can and then select your favorite - obviously vigor of the plant will be a consideration in that choice!
i find that seed plants are, if anything, more vigorous than cuts from the same plant - unless the seed plant wasnt happy for some reason
VG

hey verdant... we sowed the balance of the seeds, and man they are 'all' slow growing... really slow... we will take em all to the end, and do another grow with the cuttings, but man they grow slow... the leaves are HUGE...... we are about 3 weeks from harvest...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi zach, not sure how you are growing these bubba S1s but they can be quite vigorous in a decent soil and large containers. the growth stalls very quickly once they get anywhere near rootbound. best to grow them in a tried and tested soil mix that you know plants do well in.
i'm sure they can do well in hydro etc too - i just dont know much about that!

let us know how you get on,

VG