What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubba Kush S1s: Info and grow-along

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Damn that's freaky, looks like an interesting line to search. I bet the smoke will be top shelf on that round ball pheno!

I agree on all accounts. Intent was to find a keeper in these S1s. And then later to throw pollen from a regular-line male. Mission one was easily accomplished... even when only picking between two. There will be absolutely no surprise if the 'round ball pheno' ends up being some super supreme personal head stash! ;)

Really happy with the chop, they purpled in last couple days really nicr. I gotta say smell came out once i started trimming for sure. Definitely the tightest densest buds iv ever produced and the sample smoke was great. Alrwady moved the vegging bubba to flower cuz even as slow as she veges she was getting close to too big for my tiny room, thank god shes not real stretchy

Really happy with first sample, bubba is a keeper

Great news, Huckster! I'm getting more and more excited about my keeper as the end nears...

H

Huckster79

Shmavis you should be! Im like a kid in a candy store who has $5...lol. nice aroma but not strong. Even once ground showsva nice purplish hue. Ive been on an almost 1.5 year diet of almost exclusively gg4. I love my gg4 and steady diet was by choice as no other sample pleased me like she did... till now.....im not abandoning my gg4 but now have two top shelf choices...

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Shmavis you should be! Im like a kid in a candy store who has $5...lol. nice aroma but not strong. Even once ground showsva nice purplish hue. Ive been on an almost 1.5 year diet of almost exclusively gg4. I love my gg4 and steady diet was by choice as no other sample pleased me like she did... till now.....im not abandoning my gg4 but now have two top shelf choices...

Did you say something about purple? I was surprised to see just how purple my moses dubbed ‘round ball pheno’ :) is once I started cutting her up. I swear she almost has a peanut butter smell to her... Can’t wait to see the purple in its full glory once the rbp is manicured!

picture.php

Some pics of the big girl pheno for comparison:

picture.php
picture.php

Have yet to sample rbp but won't be long now!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we bought some bubbakush seeds 2-3-4yrs ago .. don't remember exactly when... last grow we started 3seeds, 2 males were culled, and the lady was a very slow grower... I mean very slow... but she did purple up nicely.. we took cutting from her, and now growing again, but she is still a very...very slow grower... is this normal for bubba?? or did we get get a runt???

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
both those bags look delicious shmavis! some nice purps going on there too...
let us know how they smoke!

zach, i'm guessing that they werent my seeds - as there were males and i didnt release my regular bubba line till about a year ago. bubba has always been regarded as slow, but i find it is capable of being quite vigorous if its happy with plenty of root space! it stalls pretty quickly when the roots reach the bottom/sides of the pot.

VG

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
zach, i'm guessing that they werent my seeds - as there were males and i didnt release my regular bubba line till about a year ago. bubba has always been regarded as slow, but i find it is capable of being quite vigorous if its happy with plenty of root space! it stalls pretty quickly when the roots reach the bottom/sides of the pot. VG

I stand corrected... they are fem's, and we only had space for '1' extra plant n picked the bubba kush last go around..we grow in 5gallon buckets, so space is not the problem... since we grow from cuttings, we thought the slowness of the bubba growth was starting her from seed... but we just started a new grow , and put a couple of bubba cuttings in , and they are 1/5 the size of our other plants also started from cuttings... I am thinking its just a runt, and we will start another 2-3 seeds in the next few days...

the small amount we got from the last grow (about 1/2 oz dried), is nice weed, and espec like the purple...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi zach, thanks for clarifying, as i said the bubba in general is regarded by most as a slow vegger, and these being S1s - so further inbred than the cut - you will find some will have less vigor for sure, i would have thought you would be on average likely to get a 'runt' in every 5-pack, so the best thing to do is to grow out a whole pack or as many as you can and then select your favorite - obviously vigor of the plant will be a consideration in that choice!
i find that seed plants are, if anything, more vigorous than cuts from the same plant - unless the seed plant wasnt happy for some reason!

VG

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Thanks VG.

Yesterday they got cleaned up and jarred. They were sixteen days from chop. It took me almost four hours for the two plants. Had myself a couple bourbons while trimming these up and when done I tossed some of what was collected in the bottom of the trim tray into my bowl... I went to bed really early last night... :whee: Anyway, I’ll stop back to report on how they smoke after a bit of a cure, and me sober.

About the veg: I started these four weeks earlier than my other selections in an attempt to give them adequate veg time - I went in knowing they were slow. Or considered slower than most. This early start resulted in me topping #1 twice (generally only do this once) to keep finish height manageable. There’s definitely some good vigor to be found. #1 also showed the need to be up-potted. I saw the stalling VG speaks of with her.

#1 89g:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Samuel Caldwell

420giveaway
Beautiful plants!

I got a 5 pack of these seeds a few years ago but unfortunately had to get away from gardening for awhile. I'm starting to get back into the game and can't wait to get these going. I'm hoping to be in my larger, permanent garden space by this summer. All organic, btw.

Cheers!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Been in the jars about a month now, Shmavis. Smoke reports?

Hey Samuel,

I’ve been kind of preoccupied with the batch of cannabutter I made over the holidays :dance013: and haven’t sampled a whole lot of flowers yet. I can say that I am very pleased though, even with the limited sampling I have done.

I grew this Pre-98 with the hopes of finding some heavy nighttime meds, which isn't what I found. I haven’t had a real smoke-out with it, so maybe if I did I’d find a more heavy couchlocking day-ender. As it is, I’ve rolled a couple hoglegs, smoked more than a few bowls from a glass pipe - haven’t loaded up the water bong yet; and whether from the pipe or hitting a joint, I’m taking about five to eight good hits which is usually around a third of a joint. This amount finds me feeling fine - very relaxed and comfortable (nothing racy in the least) but nowhere near nonfunctional. I also indulged one Sunday morning and found that it didn’t sap my motivation or stop me from accomplishing things, it helped me focus. There’s an overall great sense of wellbeing - and I agree that it’s thought-provoking. I really like it, even though the effect isn’t exactly what I was looking for. It really reminds me of weed from the nineties. And as far as I know, this is my first experience with Pre-98. But then again, back in the day the weed we got didn’t come with fanfare names. This 98 sure evokes some good memories.

I really like the nose and flavor. A really nice earthy smell that is not super loud but not subtle either when opening a jar. Smells wonderful when ground up. There is a coffee-like aroma that is very nice. The ‘round ball pheno’ is probably a notch above #1 in aroma, taste and intensity - but I’ve sampled even less of it. Of all my jars from my last run, RBP is my favorite to open and smell. When doing so it’s like a leather/solvent blast... like leather shoes that have just been waxed/polished... or the leather seats of a new car... probably one of the more unique aromas I’ve had the pleasure of...

I definitely want to take steps to make sure I can always have a jar of this around.

Hope this helps some. And happy growing!

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
solid report Shmavis, thanx for following up on those, i been curious. Looking fantastic from my seat man :smokey:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Thanks Tom! :)

I find I struggle trying to explain smell. The leather-n-something profile is one I’ve never experienced before.... I also meant to mention that duration of the high is really good, around two hours, and there’s no crash. It’s a very smooth ride.

And while I’m not a yield chaser I was really happy to pull over three ounces from one plant in soil, especially considering she’s supposed to be a less than average yielder. I also like that there was zero popcorn/larf. And the flowers have a great formation, tight but not rock hard, with nice sized bracts to easily break away from the nug.

Hope they make it to you, sure you won't be sorry. :cool: