AF-SOG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF-SOG

As the Auto-Flowering (AF) movment keeps growing I still see a lot of growers new and old confused about the proper way to grow AF plants. I just think people tend to over analyze things, I know I have from time to time, when I don't grasp the concept at first. I will be writing this for the newb grower and the old, so bare with me if i go into a bit of detail.

We need to remember the Auto-Flowering Concept, that Originally Auto-Flowering (AF) varieties (ie. LowRyder#1) where designed for. It was an idea that would give growers a faster and easier way to produce there own crops from many fast small plants that are easy to hide. This would allow anyone to grow there own smoke indoors, outdoors, and in many other parts of the world where Regular NON-AF types couldn't finish properly. Growing some nice plants on your balcany and harvesting throughout the season without all the force flowering and such you would have to do with Reg NON-AF strains is just one benefit of AFs.

Now more types of AFs are being made, from very small to very large. The best way to grow with the Auto-Flowering concept in mind, all AF varieities are grown in an Auto-Flowering Sea Of Green (AF-SOG). Maximizing your space allowing for a continued harvest without, keeping mothers, cloning and so on.

AF-SOG setups can be applied Indoors and Outdoors. Indoors they can be done in a space as little as 2 x 2 ft with an easy potential yeild of 4ozs, or make a 20 x 20 room or big as you want! Outdoors they can be grouped in sections called "SOG-Plots", explained later.

Small AF strains that stay short are best grown in an AF-SOG type system, placing many plants (4 per sq ft.) packed in tight to produce a high yeilding AF-SOG consisting mainly of center colas. AF-SOGs can be started from seed and finished in the same space in the same amount of time it takes just to flower most NON-AFs. Recomended using deep narrow pots, to keep the 4 plants per sq. ft ( 30cm x 30cm ). ratio but, give the plants enough soil to grow healthy, minimum of 1 gallon.

Larger AF strains can also be grown in AF-SOG systems but need much more room to grow and spread out. Setups of 1 plant per 1 sq ft. - 1.5 sq ft. will produce an impressive yeild, with large main colas and many side buds. Recommended using 3-5 gallon grow bags.

AF-SOGs are super easy make and maintain, just follow the simple steps, Plant, Sex/Transplant, Flower, Harvest, all in the same space.

Outdoors AF-SOGs can be grown in SOG-Plots, basically it is just the same concept as indoors just put them outdoors packed in at the same numbers listed above. If you have a 10 x 10 outdoor area, you can plant 4 - 4 x 4 SOG-Plots in a cross pattern so you can walk between each plot on all sides. You can harvest this system at least 2 times, 3 times in southern climates and all year around where is stays warm enough.

Average Yeilds of an AF-SOG 4x4 plot is around 1lb. Depending on your skills and method used you can pull off much more or less, Auto-Flowering strains offer a lot of things that NON-AF plants do not, but there are a lot of things that NON-AFs have that AFs cant ever offer, like cloning and keeping mothers of your favorite plant. Auto-Flowering breeding is moving fast now and the right breeders are getting involved, I'm sure we will see even higher grade AFs very soon, AFs are here to stay!

Here are some indoor AF-SOG pics.

SGS
    sigpic

Easy cloning method! Very high success rate!

nice man!

I know you mention yield in lb's,

but i remember the first 4x4 AF Sog of yours I saw which was 64? females under a 400w, what were the figures for that? GPW etc..

Would be good if we can get some example yields given different lighting and plant numbers for people to see what's achievable with this method.

Also a tutorial to make the 'deep bed' for people who want to try that instead of pots would be good.

Comment

Looks great SGS thanks for the tips. I want to give this a go for my second grow. Itd be in a 2 x 2 x 4 tent in hempys under a 240w led... I see you mention a minimum of 1gal, I was thinking of using two litre soda bottles would this work?

Comment

Nice SGS, i remember your original post on LR SOG and it was impressive stuff.
        I used to point people whining about AF low yields to that

Peace

=K

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.

Comment

af sog is my method of growing and i love it. what strain was that in your pics sgs? which strains do you think are best for this grow method in a confined space. i have grown mi5 and onyx but i think they belong outdoors or in bigger space. i am currently growing blue himalayan diesel in its early stages and am hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Krull View Post
            Nice SGS, i remember your original post on LR SOG and it was impressive stuff.
            I used to point people whining about AF low yields to that

Peace

=K

Cool bro thanks, it is getting better and better dude, trying to make the perfect AF-SOG strain, just a matter of time.

SGS
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auto guerilla View Post
              af sog is my method of growing and i love it. what strain was that in your pics sgs? which strains do you think are best for this grow method in a confined space. i have grown mi5 and onyx but i think they belong outdoors or in bigger space. i am currently growing blue himalayan diesel in its early stages and am hoping for the best.
              Anything that stays short around 50cm and compact with limited branching is what you are looking for. That is hard to find consistantly with uniformity in the AF market.

Thats why I have been focusing on a few AF-SOG specific strains, The 2 I have that yeild the best with a compact uniform structure are the FS and PB, I will soon release the Fruit Salad soon, so you can give it a go. I have 2 more AF-SOG specific strains in the works as well, to give people more choise and they are both green this time.

The M5 and Onyx seem more for larger bushy plant setups. And i have seen quite a few reports of hermie issues with them. YIKES! how did they perform for you?

SGS
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGS View Post
                That is hard to find consistantly with uniformity in the AF market.
                AGREED, your goals sound nice to me.
                Whats the minimum size for final pots you used in SOG with AF?

Best of luck with your projects!

=K

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.

Comment

mi5 i did outdoors and had lotsa mutants...wierd. they were a wierd strain so i didnt finish the grow as i have limited space. my onyx are still growing now so i cant say too much till they finish. have you ever tried himalayan blue diesel or know anyone who has grown it?

Comment

Originally posted by auto guerilla View Post
                    mi5 i did outdoors and had lotsa mutants...wierd. they were a wierd strain so i didnt finish the grow as i have limited space. my onyx are still growing now so i cant say too much till they finish. have you ever tried himalayan blue diesel or know anyone who has grown it?
                    bummer about the mutants!

I think there is someone that did the HBD awhile ago in the AF forum, do a search but not sure if it is still there, the poster may have left and took the thread down.

I have more of my own genetics to grow out then I will be able to get to,, testing other breeders stuff is hard as most of the space is taken with my own work.

SGS
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krull View Post
                      AGREED, your goals sound nice to me.
                      Whats the minimum size for final pots you used in SOG with AF?

Best of luck with your projects!

=K
                      5.5 in sq pot is the very smallest you can use in an AF-SOG ONLY if they strain is correct. Some strains need larger pots, basically any plants that stays below 50cm can be grown in 1 gallon of soil upto 6 liters for the best yields and quality.

SGS
                      sigpic

Comment

bump 5 yrs.
                        sigpic

Comment

I imagine you have done some testing.
                          Would you be able to post some findings and results?
                          5 years is a long time and I think it would be very interesting to see how far they have come.
                          How has the cross breeding progressed and have you come up with a new breed that you are now selling?

MM

Comment

Bump interested from what pictures I have seen as well. Any plans for seeds sale anytime?

whoops didnt mean to edit your post! SGS
                            Last edited by SGS; 12-12-2016, 05:08.

Comment

YES SIR! but they will not be Autoflowering... first new releases will be Non-AF.

SGS
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X