Oblivion and Daylight Express test grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oblivion and Daylight Express test grow

Afterthought Autos was very generous with both seeds and time, so this may take awhile, lol. For context, I am a rank beginner with no previous experience in autos and, after a rather confusing false start, I am growing a single Oblivion seedling and a single Daylight Express seedling in either my first successful indoor grow or my third backyard grow, depending on what the weather has to say about it.

I started the Oblivion first, by soaking a single seed in 4 parts properly Ph'd tap water to one part hydrogen peroxide from the dollar store in a jelly jar. The jelly jar went into the closet for 24 hours, and then I transferred the Oblivion to a paper towel and started the Daylight Express.

The next day the Oblivion looked like this:

and I forgot to take a picture of the Daylight Express because it looked pretty much the same, other than the fact that it was still floating in the jelly jar.

The seedlings have continued to live up to their reputation. Daylight Express broke soil first:

and other than sleeping, I was able to keep coming back and taking pictures every few hours of their first day of life.

I use a digital camera and laptop, so I'll get the pictures sorted and post the best ones in my next entry, hopefully later on today or tomorrow.

Both photography and writing skills are a bit rusty, but I'm looking forward to sharing and learning more about autos in general as well as this specific vendor and these specific strains.

Feel free to offer any sort of constructive criticism; they are living beings and I wouldn't be here in the first place if I didn't want to learn how to take better care of them.
    California Proposition 215 compliant under Senate Bill 420 and my doctor's recommendation.

Yes, they're all mine, yes, I know what causes this, and if you think my hands, clone shelves, veg tent, veg rooms, seed storage jars, back yard, and bud/breeding tent are full, you should see my heart.

Welcome to the world: February 17

Daylight Express the next morning:

Oblivion the next morning:

Daylight Express:

Oblivion:

Daylight Express:

California Proposition 215 compliant under Senate Bill 420 and my doctor's recommendation.

Yes, they're all mine, yes, I know what causes this, and if you think my hands, clone shelves, veg tent, veg rooms, seed storage jars, back yard, and bud/breeding tent are full, you should see my heart.

Comment

Two Days Old: February 20th

So the seedlings are two days old now and they're looking great:

Oblivion has a longer main stem than Daylight Express:

so I was kind of thinking about going ahead and putting her in a 4" pot last night as I was drifting off to sleep, as I am a person of a certain age who still has childhood trauma from trying to germinate seeds from mexican brickweed as a teenager in the days before internet, lol.

Then I remembered: Oops! She's an auto! Nothing fancy the first time and I've already got a super-tall five gallon pot picked out for her. I'm fascinated by Hazes, so Oblivion is new and exciting and Daylight Express seems like she's going to be a very comfortable and familiar fit.

This is a wider angle shot of the nursery:

which is rather full of Photoperiod clones and seedlings. I have space limitations and have already purchased a Gro-Dan Hugo and 4" Gro-Dan Groblox with the intention of plopping the ready-rooter into yet more rockwool so I can baby the babies as long as possible.

I hadn't thought about my emotional reaction to long stems. The Oblivion is most likely fine and can always be propped up with a toothpick. The plan is to let her live her life and then pop another bean and keep on learning.

I need daytime smoke, but I need hands on growing experience even more. Thank you again, Afterthought, for giving me these seeds to grow and show.

Comment

Yay!! Looking like a great start! Put them in larger container....3-5 gallon, not 4" pot!!

Way to grow, Mary57!
        ICMAG SERVER FUND LINK https://www.seedbay.com/vendor/icmag/

“Plant seeds of happiness, hope, success, and love; it will all come back to you in abundance. This is the law of nature.” ~Steve Maraboli~
        "Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis~

afterthought autos
        We are passionate auto breeders growing organically 2008. We offer 37 auto flowering strains, 17 photoperiods, 14 CBD hemp hybrids via catalog in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 15.5 years, we're running strong!

Mentor to 2 parties setting up microgrows (250 plants for GYO/sell with NM Rec. starting April 2022.) Help carve out excellent Cannabis Bill. GROW ON NM!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
        sigpic

Comment

Can Oblivion go larger the next time?

I know she's one of the larger autos, even though Daylight Express is making her look a bit lazy right now.

I've been so obsessed with these seeds for so long that I forgot to post some relevant info:

Oblivion is Loc Dog Amnesia x Shimmer Haze. She should take about 85 days. Daylight Express is Skunk/Afghan Auto x Pineapple Express. She should take about 82 days.

And I am a somewhat sentimental and anthropomorphizing optimist who calls all of my seedlings "she". The seeds are only available as regs so this test grow will take as long as it takes.

Daylight Express is already starting to poke a few tentative roots out of the bottom of "her" Rapid Rooter at three days old, so hold on to your hats, ladies and gentlemen, this is going to be a fun ride!

Comment

they need to be in potz now. grew out obliv in 5 gallon and decent yield, and a gr8 buzz.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinpie eyes View Post
              they need to be in potz now. grew out obliv in 5 gallon and decent yield, and a gr8 buzz.
              Agree! For your autos to thrive, they need a comfy medium to stretch and grow their roots without root damage...that impacts them.

“Plant seeds of happiness, hope, success, and love; it will all come back to you in abundance. This is the law of nature.” ~Steve Maraboli~
              "Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis~

afterthought autos
              We are passionate auto breeders growing organically 2008. We offer 37 auto flowering strains, 17 photoperiods, 14 CBD hemp hybrids via catalog in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 15.5 years, we're running strong!

Mentor to 2 parties setting up microgrows (250 plants for GYO/sell with NM Rec. starting April 2022.) Help carve out excellent Cannabis Bill. GROW ON NM!

sigpic

Comment

I THOUGHT so!

Much obliged. This is Oblivion right after I read your comments:

She got the Hugo. I dug out some more rockwool so I could bury her deeper.

Daylight Express' roots were coming out of the bottom rather than the sides, so I left the 4" cube as is. I have used those before with clones.

This is just to buy them a bit more time in the nursery. I'm guessing not much more than a week or so for Daylight Express, so I'll probably build a chicken wire cloche

for at least her because I don't trust the cat.

It doesn't look that much harder to put a layer of clear PVC over that so she can get some natural light too, but I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself here.

It's been sunny and gorgeous for the last few days, but still in the low fifties during the day and very low forties at night. The photos only go out for an hour or so, and only the ones who need it the most.

These two are going into some extra-tall 5 gallon nursery pots that I got for free; depending on how they do, I might try Oblivion in a larger container next time.
                Last edited by Mary57; 02-24-2021, 14:59. Reason: Because I am stoopid and it's not a "clone shelf" if there are seedlings growing there.

Comment

Looks good, Mary! Did you add perlite with rockwool mix? Roots enjoy aeration.

afterthought autos

sigpic

Comment

Yes, I thought straight perlite might make a better choice:

The Daylight Express didn't need as much, so I just grabbed a handful of my "standard newbie mix" of 3/4 Foxfarm Ocean Forest and 1/4 Perlite

The rockwool was soaked in tap water that had been Ph'd to 5.5 with half strength nutes, per the manufacturer's instructions.

Comment

Sounds good Mary! Just straight rock wool can be too dense for young roots and have a tendency to drown young roots since rockwool can hold water. Roots need aration....poke holes with match sticks or something that won't rip roots.

Hope you transplant soon into larger vessle. That's the optimal way to grow....end container so you don't injure/stress/stunt autos.
                      Last edited by aridbud; 02-26-2021, 18:23. Reason: spelling/typos. ugh!

afterthought autos

sigpic

Comment

Er....um....uh....., yes, I tend to agree and won't be doing that again. I did mention that this was the first time I've grown autos, didn't I?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4691.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	17792965

Oblivion:

Name:	DSCF4696.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	17792964
                        Daylight Express:

Name:	Dalightexpress.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	17792968

They'll be fine.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice pics! Keep em growing! Great looking feline friend! ;o)

afterthought autos

sigpic

Comment

No problems at all. I have yet to lose a single seedling to this cat.

Oblivion is enormous:

Name:	DSCF4712.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	17797615

so I went ahead and started LST. Daylight Express isn't very far behind:

Name:	DSCF4713.JPG
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	17797616
                            I have them in 2/3 Ocean Forest, 1/3 perlite. They are under mixed lighting: window light when it is available supplemented with SILs in E27 splitters:

Name:	DSCF4714.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	17797612

on a 19/5 schedule. They aren't even three weeks old yet, so they haven't been outside and I haven't even tried to sex them just yet.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mary57 View Post
                              No problems at all. I have yet to lose a single seedling to this cat.

Oblivion is enormous:

Name:	DSCF4712.JPG
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	17797615

so I went ahead and started LST. Daylight Express isn't very far behind:

Name:	DSCF4713.JPG
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	17797616
                              I have them in 2/3 Ocean Forest, 1/3 perlite. They are under mixed lighting: window light when it is available supplemented with SILs in E27 splitters:

Name:	DSCF4714.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	17797612

on a 19/5 schedule. They aren't even three weeks old yet, so they haven't been outside and I haven't even tried to sex them just yet.
                              They should be showing their pistils or nanners by now!!

afterthought autos

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X