Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The origins of Ducksfoot.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    The first time I saw the webbed plant in Australia was in 1992, a mate was growing seed from bud he had been regularly scoring in North Queensland. It was totally unrecognisable as ganga and had a leaf structure identical to Wals Ducksfoot. The smoke was ok, could have been better if we had really known what we were doing back then. Even then the plant grew like a sativa.
    I never saw another webbed plant until moving to northern Australia, and happened upon some locally grown bud that I was told had webbed leaves.. Indeed it did, although not all specimens were webbed. I later found out that this bud was duck x blue satellite. This was around 2003. Great smoke, the non webbed ones did well indoors, the webbed ones were fantastic under the tropical sun, you could smell them a mile away!
    Unfortunately due to circumstance, I ran short on seed of the webbed plant, and had to cross with what at the time I considered my best(untested) male - big skunk Korean x texada timewarp. Progeny after this weren't so great. However, I did realise that the webbed trait wasn't lost - several F1's were webbed..
    In the succeeding years, I have made many different crosses, probably the best being the inclusion of BC Roadkill Skunk x Deep Chunk. Some plants turn entirely black by harvest, strong smoke but small plants. Certainly not of the stature of the original webbed plants.
    I think it is entirely possible that the genetics for this strain came to Australia in the mid 80's from Hawaii, and was worked for a number of years in North Queensland. I have tried to source from Hawaii the Hawaiian webbed indica, and a strain known as strawberry web (which I suspect is the same as HWI). No luck as yet. Perhaps someone wants to pester the Hawaiian forums
    I am a real fan of this strain, its potential and its beautiful quirkiness. Really looking forward to more input on the subject.

    Comment


      #32

      Black Duck..
      Last edited by luvaduck; 07-12-2016, 10:57. Reason: forgot caption

      Comment


        #33
        i grow webbed cannabisplants for 10 years now and i have the feeling it is just what they call subspecies .
        or a more wild plant .
        Last edited by willy bibbit; 07-12-2016, 13:56.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by luvaduck View Post
          View Image
          Black Duck..
          That is beautiful!

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by luvaduck View Post
            The first time I saw the webbed plant in Australia was in 1992, a mate was growing seed from bud he had been regularly scoring in North Queensland. It was totally unrecognisable as ganga and had a leaf structure identical to Wals Ducksfoot. The smoke was ok, could have been better if we had really known what we were doing back then. Even then the plant grew like a sativa.
            I never saw another webbed plant until moving to northern Australia, and happened upon some locally grown bud that I was told had webbed leaves.. Indeed it did, although not all specimens were webbed. I later found out that this bud was duck x blue satellite. This was around 2003. Great smoke, the non webbed ones did well indoors, the webbed ones were fantastic under the tropical sun, you could smell them a mile away!
            Unfortunately due to circumstance, I ran short on seed of the webbed plant, and had to cross with what at the time I considered my best(untested) male - big skunk Korean x texada timewarp. Progeny after this weren't so great. However, I did realise that the webbed trait wasn't lost - several F1's were webbed..
            In the succeeding years, I have made many different crosses, probably the best being the inclusion of BC Roadkill Skunk x Deep Chunk. Some plants turn entirely black by harvest, strong smoke but small plants. Certainly not of the stature of the original webbed plants.
            I think it is entirely possible that the genetics for this strain came to Australia in the mid 80's from Hawaii, and was worked for a number of years in North Queensland. I have tried to source from Hawaii the Hawaiian webbed indica, and a strain known as strawberry web (which I suspect is the same as HWI). No luck as yet. Perhaps someone wants to pester the Hawaiian forums
            I am a real fan of this strain, its potential and its beautiful quirkiness. Really looking forward to more input on the subject.
            i m not sure there is any more of the Hawaiian indica ,
            i was worried they might be lost and sent a back up bunch to keep in gypsys fridge ,, however that was around the pom time , and they were lost during the fiasco ..
            Ive been busily trying to crack seeds from the jungle that have some of those genetics in them ,, so far to no avail ...

            Im fairly sure the duck x blue satellite you tried was mine ,, i know i made that ,, and im doubting anyone else would have ...

            Comment


              #36
              Hey Luvaduck.
              I'm from NQ myself.
              I can't remember ever seeing or hearing about Ducksfoot when I used to smoke.
              Mind you I gave weed away in the late nineties only getting back into it in the last year or so.
              I'll ask a few of me old mates if they ever came across it.
              Never know your luck eh.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Donald Mallard View Post
                i m not sure there is any more of the Hawaiian indica ,
                i was worried they might be lost and sent a back up bunch to keep in gypsys fridge ,, however that was around the pom time , and they were lost during the fiasco ..
                Ive been busily trying to crack seeds from the jungle that have some of those genetics in them ,, so far to no avail ...

                Im fairly sure the duck x blue satellite you tried was mine ,, i know i made that ,, and im doubting anyone else would have ...
                I'm sure it was too. It was a nice smoke too, as one would expect!
                Damn fiasco..

                Comment


                  #38
                  Been trying to find out about the duck for years now. I grew the duck in hawaii in 2001 and for a few years after. Only strain I ever grew and continued to grow that was not "chronic". It could not contend with the cannabis cup strains i had but i didn't care. I was hooked.
                  She was such an easy girl to raise and I didn't get super high or stoned but I could smoke and still get work done. She was easier to hide no doubt. I just wasn't a big fan of the pheno we had in that it tasted like pepper or sage spices too much. So I crossed it to the mango. Still could taste the spices but it was much better imho and the web was still present.
                  The Hawaiian i got the strain from had had it for what sounded like a long time. Talked like it had been around forever. It was his go to strain. His workhorse. One would toy with other strains but the duck you could count on. Got to the point where half my grow was duck just for the insurance of knowing it was the most bomb proof strain I had seen and once sprouted almost as good as money in the bank or nugs in the jar.
                  I've been trying to find out about it now I'm legal to grow medicine. Wanted the history and some seeds. Well dang near nobody in the USA has heard of it. Then I find out an ozzie created it maybe? Named after him, wally duck? I was told in hawaii it was named ducksfoot because of the webbed leaf. We also called it the Web. This is a tangled Web lol. Wallys Web either way I'm glad I finally found some people who know what the heck I'm talking about. Thanks out to you guys who breed it and keep it going. If I had to guess I would think it's an auzzie strain as ABC is the only other similar thing. I just don't see the odds being high of marsupials or unique cannabis subspecies/mutants coming from the islands. But tell me it hails from Oz and I'm like, yeah that fits lol. I'm guessing they made the voyage more in the endless summer I days vs endless summer II days.
                  Hard for me to think it's a cross that made the leaves webbed as 2 Sativas don't make an indica. 2 indica don't grow like a sativa... but now I'm hearing about a Chinese thin leafed indica that grows tall? One thing I love about the duck is she has taken me on a journey no other strain would have.
                  I'm trying to secure some ducksfoot seeds. Best I can find is from dutch passion, the frisian duck. Which is great because I'm in a cold climate now. Still I would like to get the original duck one day for my private seed library. Also to get some tests run to see what the geneticists have to say about her.
                  Any fresh leads on seeds welcomed and thanks out to the ducksfoot breeders. My goals are to find and keep the og ducksfoot and to also try to create a CBD ducksfoot.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Cernunnos, I can't answer your message in private cos no 50 messages. So I will answer here.
                    I have intresting cannabis stealth strains.
                    One is my Nettle. It is like Ducksfoot but more sativa threats
                    My topic with photos you can check https://olkpeace.org/forum/viewtopic...62002#p3562002

                    And second from my friend Vitalik. He is also Ukranian breeder. His strain name is Mnogolistka. New leaves grow from old leaves and makes levels of leaves
                    hear you can see
                    Photos to check ^
                    https://olkpeace.org/forum/gallery/i...mage_id=283435
                    https://olkpeace.org/forum/gallery/i...mage_id=300247
                    If you are interested to speak about my strains feel free to contact me. My e-mail- netpaleva@rambler.ru

                    Comment


                      #40
                      treats*
                      I even can't edit my message ...WTF...idiotic system or bug..

                      Comment


                        #41
                        shame the links dont work starwarrior ..

                        you might have to copy and paste or something ,
                        im of the inclination that other than Hawaii,
                        a lot of the webbed plants we see now have risen from the seed i made ,
                        they went far and wide , for good reason .. i meant it to be ..

                        also i did it for free ,,
                        i did not charge for ducksfoot seed ....
                        i thought it was an interesting trait that needed to be kept,
                        while the current representations are not really like i grew initially ,
                        due to climate , lack of breeding knowledge and ability to save cuttings,
                        busts ,, loosing seed stock ,, the usual problems that come with trying to do more ..

                        all that aside ,, there is webbed plants still around ,
                        and anyone can make what the like from them ,
                        in a webbed plant ,, its not that hard ,
                        such visible traits as webbed leaf is hard to not see,,, lol ...

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Donald Mallard- You are a good Duck

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Starwarrior View Post
                            treats*
                            I even can't edit my message ...WTF...idiotic system or bug..
                            you can't do much till you get to 50 posts. cuts down on spammers.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Donald Mallard, I will send links to your e-mai. And you post it if you can.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                trying place photos...
                                1-Nettle
                                2 and 3- Mnogolistka
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X