What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super expensive LED's vs cheaper LED's?

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
not to diss on mars,but i recently bought an HLG scorpion rspec and something went wrong with it,less than 24 hours after i let them know there was a new light on the way with a return label. while i'm not happy the light malfunctioned you can't beat that for warranty service...no questions asked,your new light is on the way...plus they give me a way better discount...

that said,none of my mars light have had any problems at all...or the tents...but from what i have read,if i did,it would be a much larger hassle...

Uncle, as you know, there is time difference. So there will be delay on the response. Our service team is working hard. They tried their best to handle each case. Sometimes, they might spent extra hours to help customers even though it is off-working time. :tiphat:

Generally, if the products have any issue, they will ask for the pictures. Because they engineer depatment will need the picture to figure out the real issue. This is very important for the whole warranty process. If they offer wrong solution, it will waste a lot of time. So offering the picture is the most efficient way.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That all very nice,but a new one being shipped out the door when you contact the manufacturer is very nice as well.Just another way to look at the time difference I guess.
The retailer I deal with here in New England takes away the need for a phone call to the manufacturer.
if you have a light with a 3 year warranty,and you walk it into them with an issue 2 years and 11 months after purchase ,you leave with a brand new light in the box.No pro-rating ,even exhange.Impossibe to beat that if ya ladies find themselves in the dark.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Uncle, as you know, there is time difference. So there will be delay on the response. Our service team is working hard. They tried their best to handle each case. Sometimes, they might spent extra hours to help customers even though it is off-working time. :tiphat:

Generally, if the products have any issue, they will ask for the pictures. Because they engineer depatment will need the picture to figure out the real issue. This is very important for the whole warranty process. If they offer wrong solution, it will waste a lot of time. So offering the picture is the most efficient way.

from a customer standpoint the fact that HLG was willing to send a brand new light no questions asked makes a huge difference.

audiohi

Veteran
Two thumbs up for HLG and those 650Rs from me. I've been using them, and I'm now sold on LED. I'm not going back to HID.

As soon as they come back in stock, I'll be adding the UV-A bars onto the 650Rs with a nice, easy upgrade.

M

member 505892

from a customer standpoint the fact that HLG was willing to send a brand new light no questions asked makes a huge difference.

Agreed.... i didn't want to say anything negative about Mars's reply but a 'no questions asked, full replacement' policy is the kind of policy that gives customers peace of mind.
Confidence in their product and no worry about hassles.

Anyway, I got my Mars TS 1000 a few weeks ago but have yet to use it.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
luckily not any issues with any of the mars gear i have...10 lamps and 7 tents,no problems at all

and it only took like a month for the hlg scorpion to fuck up,warranty awesomeness or not,still didn't make me happy...the other two lamps are 2 years old and never skipped a beat

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
The ts1000 and ts2000w (and I guess other TS's as well) are good lights for the money. Definely better than most cheap leds from others.
The SP's and FC's should be more efficient and durable, and probably much better quality.
I say "should" because I never seen one upclose yet. But I do have a SP3000 waiting for me at the safe addy. Can only say more on those once I get it and start playing with it. And probably I'll have even more to say after I finish first grow with it.
But seeing how the ts series work and make the plants happy, I'd sure expect the more qualitative lights to be even better.
As about the expensive lights from other sellers that have prices like they made of gold.. most of the time you are overpaying. Sometimes you'll even get old tech for crazy prices. At least mars hydro is open about what hardware they use and the drivers and leds used for the more expensive lines are top notch for the price.
Same as the cheaper ones are great for budget growers and will probably do same job as the more expensive ones, in theory they will just be a bit less efficient and less durable.
But I personally don't care about that when they are sold for a fair price and you'll get your money worth from the first grows anyway.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
The ts1000 and ts2000w (and I guess other TS's as well) are good lights for the money. Definely better than most cheap leds from others.
The SP's and FC's should be more efficient and durable, and probably much better quality.
I say "should" because I never seen one upclose yet. But I do have a SP3000 waiting for me at the safe addy. Can only say more on those once I get it and start playing with it. And probably I'll have even more to say after I finish first grow with it.
But seeing how the ts series work and make the plants happy, I'd sure expect the more qualitative lights to be even better.
As about the expensive lights from other sellers that have prices like they made of gold.. most of the time you are overpaying. Sometimes you'll even get old tech for crazy prices. At least mars hydro is open about what hardware they use and the drivers and leds used for the more expensive lines are top notch for the price.
Same as the cheaper ones are great for budget growers and will probably do same job as the more expensive ones, in theory they will just be a bit less efficient and less durable.
But I personally don't care about that when they are sold for a fair price and you'll get your money worth from the first grows anyway.

I can make sure that SP and FC lines are more efficient and durable than TS line. :D

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I can make sure that SP and FC lines are more efficient and durable than TS line. :D

I guess I am gonna find out! I got my toy!

noexif_b4167877.jpg

First impressions are that is very well made, lots of aluminium for heatsink and also good fins design on that heatsink as well. After I finish my current grow with the TS2000, I will continue with Kali Bubba from Serious Seeds under the SP3000 pictured above.
Shipping took about one week, a bit under 1 week actually, which is great! Light works beautifully and will fuck up your vision even if you are at an angle and with your eyelids closed. Very powerful and concentrated light. They should come with danger stickers!
Thank you again Mars Hydro Led for this great light and for hosting the giveaway I won it in!

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Maybe you can put it into the present grow to replace TS2000. For next grow, maybe expand the grow area a little and use them together. ;)

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran

What is the time difference?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Maybe you can put it into the present grow to replace TS2000. For next grow, maybe expand the grow area a little and use them together. ;)

What you're saying is not a bad ideea, but since I started with the tsw2000 I would like to finish it that way so I (and others on the forum) can see what this light can do. Then, depending on temps I will chose if I do SP3000 alone or use both toghether. To be honest with the yelds I get from the lights I probably don't need 600w of leds for my use alone. Expansion plans will be done over the autumn/winter, I like to do first grow in a new setup in the cold season so I can be prepared for the hot summers better. I don't like to waste electricity on air conditioning so I will probably stick to the 300w for this summer, if it gets hot.
I can understand what you're saying, tho, and can't wait to see some plants under the SP3000 myself. But I want to be amazed by the tsw2000 results first.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I like the bar lights over the Diablos board style ,seems to have better heat distribution.

It's worth weighing up how long you will keep the light. The driver might last 10 years, but we have no love for lights 5 years old. We buy today, knowing in 5 years time, output will be reduced and colour cooled down, while new LED's are coming on the market, widening the gap between our lights we buy today, and those we will want in 5 years. If that Diablo uses 288 boards, you might be able to get new one's for $30 as you can from KB. Constant heat cycling tests say we won't see 5 years from LED's anyway. So we will all probably want to make a warranty claim one day, but be left having to fix them ourselves.

One thing I really like about KB is that all the spares are available, and I feel sure we will want them. Few other manufacturers are going to be as helpful.

I feel a 'how olds your LED light" Thread is due.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
What you're saying is not a bad ideea, but since I started with the tsw2000 I would like to finish it that way so I (and others on the forum) can see what this light can do. Then, depending on temps I will chose if I do SP3000 alone or use both toghether. To be honest with the yelds I get from the lights I probably don't need 600w of leds for my use alone. Expansion plans will be done over the autumn/winter, I like to do first grow in a new setup in the cold season so I can be prepared for the hot summers better. I don't like to waste electricity on air conditioning so I will probably stick to the 300w for this summer, if it gets hot.
I can understand what you're saying, tho, and can't wait to see some plants under the SP3000 myself. But I want to be amazed by the tsw2000 results first.

sounds like a great plan. keep it going. :tiphat:

gianc0

ciao mars hydro

ho letto che i nuovi led samsuns sono gli LM301h come mai ancora nn li avete usati e usate ancori gli LM301b? Sembrano che sia più efficienti del 10 %

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
ciao mars hydro

ho letto che i nuovi led samsuns sono gli LM301h come mai ancora nn li avete usati e usate ancori gli LM301b? Sembrano che sia più efficienti del 10 %

Sì, 301h è più efficiente di 301b ed è anche più costoso. Samsung fornisce solo 301 ore per i marchi USA. Significa che non possiamo ottenere questo tipo di chip anche se vogliamo acquistarlo. :confused:

Latest posts

Latest posts