What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TS1000 daisy chained ;)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have only seen them grow out of such traits. Even in pictures. It's educational to hear you can get them to maturity sometimes and pass the trait on. Is it realistic to get another generation though? That would be moving towards a stable line, and this just seems so transient.

I have a location outdoors that grows flat stems. It's just a single plant sized area in an otherwise typical field. Year after year the plant right there can do that odd trait. I suggest I could seed that plant and get flat stem offspring. Though grown in any other location, they will grow out of it.

Did I miss an entire line of plants that does this?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im no expert but that sounds like fasciation f-e. it can be caused by insect/animal nibbling, or virus or mutation. In some cases it is genetic and heritable.
VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well I've passed the tri trait through, I think its 16 generations now, they are normally fairly stable. This quad male was stable, but the female reverted to being tri, and I think that trait of reverting has been passed on, which is awkward. I may have to cross two that revert and search for hope there's a 25% group of them that don't in their offspring. Here's the male that didn't again, shown earlier in the thread,
https://www.icmag.com/picture.php?al...tureid=2093148

That's the only way I can post that since my mars album isn't fixed yet. I think there are too many photos in it for this software now.

Anyway, as to your flat stems, if the tops look like this, yeah they are fasciated like VG said. I'm pretty sure you could pass that trait on if you wanted to, albeit to fairly limited numbers of offspring at first.

https://www.icmag.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=16289711

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well, so much for looking backwards, and forwards, here's now for the bigger girls
2 shots of the same thing, different lighting, selected by the phone at random it seems. I have no control over it, so see which version you prefer.

IMG-20210418-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210418-WA0001.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool, they've formed a decent canopy in there... some taller ones at the edges which are good for yield and photos!

VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yeah but I'm getting some yellowing on the ones in smaller pots. I thought I'd left them small enough but I guess I'll have to feed them a bit heavier and see if I can sort it out.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could you get away with a bit bigger pot? i've repotted a few weeks into flower before... just a bit bigger. if not even a topdress of extra few centimeters more soil or a top-dress of compost or worm castings will help. It tends to be rootbinding in smaller pots that makes the nutes unavailable rather than them running low.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hmm, its an idea, I was kind of hoping to do a calculation on yield v volume of compost. I've got no room in the pots to do a top up, I could upgrade them though. Next size up for me is tubs though, and at this stage it would stall the flowering times. I don't think my small tubs are deep enough to bury the root systems, as I let them develop in taller pots, I'd have to go to larger tubs, and I've got another two clones earmarked for them. The plants are too small to make use of large tubs. I'm just going to let them go and see what happens. Even if they don't make it to the end of flowering, it would free up some space for the big girls. I'm happy if they make it and don't provide much, I'm happy if they don't and I get more space. I only really threw them in there because I had replacements and didn't need them for the timelines I have planned. Just trying to get something from them, even if its just data.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh im sure they will finish ok with a bit of extra feed like you say.. i'll be interested in your yield vs soil volume calculation.. IMO more soil/bigger pots are always better (providing they are watered correctly) - and whilst there are probably diminishing returns from extra soil.. soil is pretty cheep - so a bit of a false economy to make it the limiting factor.
VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yeah that's how I've been playing for years, but the extra veg time coupled with keeping mothers and popping and killing seeds off, rooting times of clones and trying to keep numbers as low as possible, means my actual production rate per year is low. Too low. So I want to know if its numbers, space, both or something else I need to make a change to.
Fortunately, thanks to the good folks at Mars, I have tents and lights to add, I just want to get some base numbers pinned down so I can make the most of them.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm an avid collector of pots of all different sizes.. My rule of thumb is always to have the floor of the cabinet filled with pots as big as i can squeeze in.. however big they are - but when you get to test growing plants grown from seed rather than just production from clones, it's much harder to be super efficient.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
It gets a problem when you realise that you have to wait till the compost dries some more before you can lift "that size " of tub out of the cabinet though.
been there.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I had no idea you had been through generations... many generations.. with the extra leaves. That's a lot of good work, and straightens my ideas out a bit.

I run a tight ship with my timing. It might not be suitable for you though. I take cuts then go 12/12 and the flowering time is strictly adhered to. I take enough cuts to produce enough plant to fill the flower area again on that date. I don't keep mums but do have plants that just go from veg to cutting again on that cycle. I have 8 things at the moment, but some are actually outdoor, just going year to year. If my veg time slips, one of them might get done to fill the gap.

Being strict with the timing is a good selection method. Keeping things that might need another week or two, is a crop a year gone, at least. It can be better to just pull it when it 'might' of gone longer, and then decide if it was worth it.

If a 7 week crop gets left to 8 weeks, it needs to do 15% more to break even. A couple more weeks on an 8 week strain owes you another 25%. When you do the math, the decision to leave something is often a bad call. I simply can't wait for something to do better, when there is a queue. The better fail is to call the plant unsuitable, than bugger my schedule. I may even advance my schedule this time, tossing them out early because giving them a bit longer won't provide the extra that tossing them out in favour of better plants will bring.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yeah I used to be the tri guy lol. It was all I ever did for years and years. I must have a decade of them on this site alone. Most of the pics went in a decision by DG back when Gypsy wasn't here.

​​​​ive never been commercial, and never wanted this hobby to become a job, so I never allowed it to become a factory line based on economics. I always did what interested me the most. But these days, I'm running out too often. I need to get some of that discipline you have going on. My efficiency is shameful. Opening two tents up should help a lot. But I don't want to run things the way I have been. I'm going to have to get a system going, hence the size experiments. I don't even know how long it takes me to go from cutting to flower, or how many days it takes clones I've run over and over to flower. Everything is done by eye.
Even feeding, I don't measure anything, I do " a squirt of that and a few drops of this". I have 3 different compost types, as the same type isn't always available. I have to admit, I've been more obsessed with genetics than growing.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I got my tent a few days ago, this just arrived, the latest mars giveaway light. SP150. The obvious temptation is to take the TS1000 down and run it next to the TSL2000 for the big girls. But I'll be good and wait till I can get space cleared for the tent that was given away with it. Then run them as the combo they were intended to be.

IMG-20210419-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210419-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210419-WA0000.jpg

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
I got my tent a few days ago, this just arrived, the latest mars giveaway light. SP150. The obvious temptation is to take the TS1000 down and run it next to the TSL2000 for the big girls. But I'll be good and wait till I can get space cleared for the tent that was given away with it. Then run them as the combo they were intended to be.

Hope you will like it. ;)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Thanks Mars, I'm sure I will.

OK this isn't an update, sorry, just a note in the diary for me. Planted a Black n Glue seed just, time to start the count for it. First of these I've run I think, though I've had a favourable report from someone else I gave seeds out to from them.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
This one is an update though. I killed off one of the quads for not being quad anymore. Another isn't but it has a flat stem. Good timing, we were just talking fasciation in another thread, so just in case it is, I'll let it live a little while longer. The other two quads, we'll have to watch and see. Pics below. As for the bigger girls, pics below as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210422-WA0003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	17838738
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210422-WA0002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.3 KB ID:	17838741
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210422-WA0002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.3 KB ID:	17838741

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Another quad reverted, this time all the way back to bifoliar
now I have one true quad left, something I think will become fasciated, and another 100 seeds in compost.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I think, looking back through the thread, that this is somewhere around day 32.
IMG-20210429-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210429-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210429-WA0001.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts