What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dual SP-150 in a 3'x3'

LouDog420

DAY 34

DAY 34

Cruising along, day 34 pictured. Development seems a little slow across both lights, may be previous root pathogen issues that aren't 100% under control.

Short post this week, I'm just along for the ride waiting for results. The pics can do most of the talking. The spaces got a little haircut, but still looking a bit shaggy, due for another round in a couple weeks.

260w LED - SP 150 - Day 34
picture.php

400w HPS - Day 34
picture.php

Green81

Veteran
Nice comparison Loudog. I've almost convinced myself to swap to LED after seeing so many good grows on IC.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
LED becomes more closer to HPS light in regards to the yield. The tech has been improved a lot since last few years.

LouDog420

DAY 45

DAY 45

Thanks for your patience. I took a little trip, so we're off our weekly updates. Instead pictured is day 45, and we should get back to regularly scheduled updates on day 49 and beyond as we enter the home stretch.

LED space is cruising. Happy plants, frosty plants. The HPS space seems to be catching up (it felt a little behind in maturity for the first few weeks of flower), also looking very good. There is a hot spot on the HPS side directly under the bulb that is showing some heat stress through foxtailing and slight yellowing. This is one of the biggest benefits of the low temp LEDs in confined spaces like a grow tent.

It's hard to say at this point who will come out on top. It is important to note the different mediums again (as it's not a perfect comparison) as well as the fact that the 400w HPS is pulling an extra ~54% electricity (260w vs 400w). Final yield will consider both weight/watt and weight/area (g/w and g/sf) for those growers that are less limited by electrical usage and more limited by space/area.

Enough talk, onto pics...

260w LED - SP-150 - Day 45
picture.php

400w HPS - Day 45
picture.php

Good vibes :headbange

LouDog420

DAY 49

DAY 49

45 was a quick and rushed update. The garden was unattended for a while and suffered some neglect, and still suffers some. The gardens have been dealing with root pathogens, which seemed to re-emerge with some voracity while unattended.

Things still look nice and green. Development and total weight is not where it should be on either space however.

With the fact that different mediums are being used in LED and HPS spaces, and the root pathogen issues popping back up, I'm not sure how relevant the final numbers will be. But, still will be a nice test of quality until a proper side by side can be performed. Maybe add a 3rd SP-150 for a watt to watt comparison...

LED seems like they're starting to slow down in the race on size, but in regards to maturity, they look significantly further ahead. Will be interesting to check trichs and see if that translates.

260w LED - SP-150 - Day 49
picture.php

400w HPS - Day 49
picture.php

Last edited:

packerfan79

Veteran
Nice side by side. The led side may make up for the size with density. I have a mars light very happy with it. Led is the only way to go at this point.

LouDog420

DAY 56

DAY 56

Moving along. Root issues seem back to normal and mitigated for now. They definitely stunted both spaces a bit. With the canopy density, anything less than perfect health is going to cause a drop in flower size. I've been battling what I believe is some sort of pythium for a while now, these girls included. While unattended, had some sort of new slime pop up in each res. Heavy sterlization and some bennies seem to be the solution for now.

Things are frosting up nicely, just not quite as heavy as I'd like to see. Some discoloration on OGC in the LED space, tops going rusty, likely the root issues.

OGC normally goes 63-67 days and SUSQ Chem 73-77+. I'll wait to make final conclusions after looking at trichs, but LED does seem further ahead with maturity. The OGC in the LED space specifically look close to done, which is a week sooner than usual.

We'll break out the nice camera in the next week or two, in addition to the usual full shot. Onto pics...

260w LED - SP-150 - Day 56
picture.php

400w HPS - Day 56
picture.php

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Moving along. Root issues seem back to normal and mitigated for now. They definitely stunted both spaces a bit. With the canopy density, anything less than perfect health is going to cause a drop in flower size. I've been battling what I believe is some sort of pythium for a while now, these girls included. While unattended, had some sort of new slime pop up in each res. Heavy sterlization and some bennies seem to be the solution for now.

Things are frosting up nicely, just not quite as heavy as I'd like to see. Some discoloration on OGC in the LED space, tops going rusty, likely the root issues.

OGC normally goes 63-67 days and SUSQ Chem 73-77+. I'll wait to make final conclusions after looking at trichs, but LED does seem further ahead with maturity. The OGC in the LED space specifically look close to done, which is a week sooner than usual.

We'll break out the nice camera in the next week or two, in addition to the usual full shot. Onto pics...

260w LED - SP-150 - Day 56
View Image

400w HPS - Day 56
View Image

:good::tree:

LouDog420

DAY 63

DAY 63

Moving along. The girls are definitely drinking less than usual. This has resulted in a poor flush, going back to what is likely the root pathogens.

Looking frosty otherwise. A bit disappointed with yield across the board, but seems like those issues are licked for now and next rounds should improve.

Quick to a few shots. The close shots are of the LED space. Frosty, but lacking a bit of weight for the above mentioned reasons, not unique to the LED area.

The HPS area has some foxtailing and heat stress directly below the bulb. A big benefit to LED, they're just as close and not showing the same heat issues. Anything showing heat stress ends up in the hash pile, so that just takes away from final yield...

260w LED - SP 150 - Day 63
picture.php

OGC - LED
picture.php

SUSQ - LED
picture.php

400w HPS - Day 63
picture.php

LouDog420

Day 70

Day 70

Chugging along. They're slow to flush so everything is running a little longer than usual.

Short one this week. HPS space suffering some visible burn and foxtails directly under the bulb. Both spaces could use some better canopy management. Otherwise frosty and stinky

260w LED - SP-150 - Day 70
picture.php

400w HPS - Day 70

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Both sides become slower than before. The HPS side's flower looks big and the LED side looks smaller but denser. :good: