What's new

Mars Hydro August Giveaway -- Mars Pro II Epistar 160

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry, Dank should have known what he was entering..

LOL. I knew precisely what I was entering. It's why I waited for this version of their lights instead of the TS/SP lines. I wanted to test the spectrum of this particular light.

What I proposed to Mars - was merely the same I proposed to the previous vendor.

Current room is 2 x 315w over 2.5' x 5'. That is 2.5' x 2.5' per light. Regardless what specs the light says it is intended to cover, I will be using it over a 2.5' x 2.5' space.

Instead of a side by side style of grow comparison, where half of the space is under 1 spectrum and half under another, I offered to let them send me TWO lights so the entire space would be under their lamps spectrum.

Unfortunately, Mars wasn't able to do so - and that is 100% understandable - it's just a, "the worst they can say is "no", scenario.

I had to wait to share safe addy information until I had gotten 100% confirmation on the pending lights from a competitor.

I will, absolutely, without question - honor all 3 of my "If I win, I will..." statements.

1. I will compare the Mars Hydo Pro II Epistar 160 to a HGLED xb200 unit - which is a lamp with a similar output.

2. I will grow rare varieties that no one else currently has access to. Karma Genetics, special reserved release, London Loud and Mochiesel are up next in my room. Brand new, pre-release test genetics that have many restrictions.

3. I will be 100% honest about my experience with the lights and I will spend extra time answering any questions others may have regarding them.

--------------------------

This post - is my first example of #3. :laughing:

I'll keep everyone posted - no worries there. We're going to have an EXCELLENT grow show with LEDs and I really hope I can help a lot of people who are on the fence about the technologies.

Thank you again, Mars Hydro - for being so active in our community and for being so generous with your product lines. I really hope I do your product justice in my attempts to utilize it in my garden!

dank.Frank

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Current room is 2 x 315w over 2.5' x 5'. That is 2.5' x 2.5' per light. Regardless what specs the light says it is intended to cover, I will be using it over a 2.5' x 2.5' space.

hey dank... a question - do u find that the 2x315's over 2.5x5' is enough light??? last grow i used 2x315 in my 4x3.5' tent and felt it was not a suff amount of light.... thanks

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@BuzzBob56 - wvkindbud in post #141 has a great thread going right now showing off the Mars Hydro SP 250 - which a unit with water / moisture / dust resistant design.

I'll try to answer any questions that arise. I tend so too much as opposed to not enough, when giving my opinion on a product, so I'll be tactful, but honest.

@Zach - I think I've addressed this before - I'm only at the end of my second run with CMH but I don't think it's not enough light. I think it doesn't penetrate as well as a larger lamp and in some ways spectrum makes up for that. I'm going to get over 20+ off 8 plants this current cycle. That's not bad considering I run a water only organic soil bed with with only passive intake and no additional CO2.

dank.Frank

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
LOL. I knew precisely what I was entering. It's why I waited for this version of their lights instead of the TS/SP lines. I wanted to test the spectrum of this particular light.

What I proposed to Mars - was merely the same I proposed to the previous vendor.

Instead of a side by side style of grow comparison, where half of the space is under 1 spectrum and half under another, I offered to let them send me TWO lights so the entire space would be under their lamps spectrum.

Unfortunately, Mars wasn't able to do so - and that is 100% understandable - it's just a, "the worst they can say is "no", scenario.

I had to wait to share safe addy information until I had gotten 100% confirmation on the pending lights from a competitor.

I will, absolutely, without question - honor all 3 of my "If I win, I will..." statements.

1. I will compare the Mars Hydo Pro II Epistar 160 to a HGLED xb200 unit - which is a lamp with a similar output.

2. I will grow rare varieties that no one else currently has access to. Karma Genetics, special reserved release, London Loud and Mochiesel are up next in my room. Brand new, pre-release test genetics that have many restrictions.

3. I will be 100% honest about my experience with the lights and I will spend extra time answering any questions others may have regarding them.

I'll keep everyone posted - no worries there. We're going to have an EXCELLENT grow show with LEDs and I really hope I can help a lot of people who are on the fence about the technologies.

Thank you again, Mars Hydro - for being so active in our community and for being so generous with your product lines. I really hope I do your product justice in my attempts to utilize it in my garden!

dank.Frank

Do you feel the SPs are lacking in spectrum??? I'm also looking for the best, and seem to be pretty happy with the SP 250....yea I needed 1-2 more to really do a whole room grow. I'm trying some Leds that seem to be a whiter spectrum, there calling it a sunlight spectrum about like most companies. But just kinda wanting to get some insight from others that using the products

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor

dank.Frank
" I will compare the Mars Hydo Pro II Epistar 160 to a HGLED xb200 unit - which is a lamp with a similar output."

That's what I'd like to see, and I'd like the growers to compare our lights with others

YukonKronic

I got an Xb400 if you want me to compare it to a ts3000....
:tiphat:
You can check out upcoming comparison to ts2000 if you’re worried about how it’ll go...

YukonKronic

Did hgl pull through for you too bro,,?

Yuppers. Set it up today... it’s a weird kind of light that makes you squint like a really bright but overcast day. I love how thin and sleek it is and setup was a breeze.

I have a ts2000 alongside a 300w knockoff COB led in other box and I swear the 400w XB looks brighter than the 600w of white LED.
Next flower run I’m going to compare the two setups.

I was originally going to shrink the scrog under ts2000 to 3x3 like it’s rated for but I don’t really wanna take the hit on yield so I might just compare 600 to 400 and calculate what difference is based on GPW.

If HGL claims are true I should at least be pretty close to even in spite of wattage difference. I’m hoping to do better to be honest.

Some day I’ll get enough cash together for a ts3000 and do a real comparison of MARS and HGL 4x4 footprints.... unless MARS gets stomped and wants to try again with the right light instead of my backup light that’s probably lesser quality (definitely less ppfd) trying to supplement a ts2000 over too large a footprint..

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just want to give a shout out to Mars Hydro - everything arrived safely and without being dented or damaged.

Many thanks and much appreciation! I'll rearrange things to get this set up in the veg area for the time being!

Mars Hydro ProII Epistar 160

Vegetative Growth - Blue Spectrum

picture.php

Flowering Growth - add in the red spectrum

picture.php

Flowering Mode - Full Spectrum

picture.php

Already have her ready to rock and roll over a 4' long x 22" wide shelf. No more 6500k T8 shop lights for me.

picture.php

:woohoo:

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check the above post again. Package was delivered. First post made two hours after. Roughly two hours after that, the light was hanging and plugged in with plants vegging under it.

That's how you make the most usage of a free light!!! :joint:

dank.Frank

M

Mr.Boland

Looks like a great led cant wait to see the dank you produce dank frank
I was going to say best of luck with the grow but you font need it i have seen
Your grows

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If anyone has any questions regarding this lamp, please feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll answer any and all questions I can, as accurately as possible.

Right now, plants are vegging under it just fine without a single issue in the transition from 6500k to this LED spectrum.

I will eventually start a new thread DEDICATED to this light - but - it will be a summary. I'll use it and continue to update things in my current thread as normal.

So, if you REALLY want to follow along with my thoughts and impressions and see in real time how I'm using the Mars Hydro ProII Epistar 160:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355606

I will say this much in current reflection of the product itself. In many instances, Mars Hydro is seen as a value leader rather than a performance leader. I can now say first hand, the quality of the product, surpasses my expectations. It's very rigid and well built. I was expecting a "deluxe" type of consumer product, but that's not what this is. This is a very solid piece of equipment.

I'm really looking forward to learning how best to utilize it! Thanks again, Mars Hydro! If you ever have any concerns or requests of me - or even pointers and advice - please feel free to reach out.

dank.Frank