What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GMT goes LED. TSL2000 Mars Hydro

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
picture.php

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I tried to check your albums to take a look at yours, but :dunno: . I'm deffo gonna have to feed this plant something, and more than just the shot of cal mag peeps recommend for led. Either that or grow the plant smaller for this size of tub. But I need to know if its the plant or the light. So I'm also running the next few unfed. So we'll prob see many more deficiencies in the near future. I need to know though, and that's the only way to do it.
I did expect this plant to be further along by now though. Its supposed to be a 7 weeker, but I think this is that now and it looks at the point it'll need another 3 weeks to finish. Running the same plants for the last couple of years, I forgot how tricky it can be to dial something in. Even when running a lazy grow style.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thanks for tagging along everyone. I will do pics, just since this is a light review, I'm still unsure how to frame the pics etc. I'll work something out.

944, I can say that 75% of the electric does not equal 75% of the heat, it is far less than that. I can't talk about performance yet though.

Mars, seriously, the screwdriver into a tiny hole thing to adjust power is not a good move. How much would it cost to connect those screws to a simple metal dial? £1 , £2, add it to the customers cost and they will thank you for it.
The addition of an on/off switch would add another quid or two, that no one would grumble about.
They are my only two gripes at the moment. I'm about to unplug for the night, and put the heating on for a couple more hours, its chilly, or perhaps I'm just acclimatized to HPS living now.
I was bitching about this myself recently, and yes dials would help out quite a bit. I dimmed my TSW-2000, and really have no idea how much power is still going through them. Approximately 75%?

I too won a light in one of the Mars Hydro contests, and I've been toking cannabis from it the last few days. Bottom line? I turned off my 1000w HPS for good, and put my ballasts up for sale. I'm sold, and the TS series is good enough for me. They're $250'ish for 300w, and it would cost almost the same for a DIY build. (if not a few dollars more)
I started these plants under an HPS, and they were not vegged for the space they're in, and they still turned out amazingly delicious. Next run will be a much higher yield, when I veg the plants specifically for this space. :D
ECSDxC999 Under a TSW-2000

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very interested in penetration for the lower parts,,
Onwards and upwards GMT and Douglas,,,,s2

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the much smaller TS1000 and it's been really good so far.

Harvest is upon me, we'll see very soon.
Keep it up GMT, good stuff, good read.
CC

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have used 3 sorts of led now. In coco, I was always using bloom feed, and switching acid between the veg and bloom stages. That was before LED. The first LEDS were cheap, and there was no change in requirements. Then I got better LED's and had to use grow food in veg, not bloom food as I had before. Also, at a higher EC. Around 1.6 now not 1.3 and it wasn't calcium or magnesium driving this change. It was Nitrogen.

If you're not feeding them at all, then I wouldn't expect the result to be any different. It's not cal-mag though. When I read 'cal-mag' I always hear it in an irritable child's voice. Just feed them properly. Perhaps Canna Terra, a single part food that contains everything. It's so well balanced I have used it in coco many times. The effect should be just like making your compost? stronger.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the much smaller TS1000 and it's been really good so far.

Harvest is upon me, we'll see very soon.
Keep it up GMT, good stuff, good read.
CC

Cheers Chevy,,
Very interested with members like you, gmt,fe and DC using these products,,,,
All the best,,,s2:tiphat:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hahaha S2, hardly!!
These guys are pros, with the grow report endorsement deals and all!
A proper amateur here, I bought mine at regular retail price ;-)
But it's been working well so far and I do get amber trichs with this light (which I have been a bit anal about with LEDs as they mostly didn't give me those and I had a hard time deciding when to chop). LEDs and organic living soil have made growing so easy, I get in bad mood because there's almost no interaction with my plants hahaha
CC

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I'm running perpetual, and all mine were grown for HPS flowering too. It'll be a while before I put anything under, that was vegged for led. Still, I'll take one for the team lol.

The branch I have been featuring (basically the nearest to the door) is lying down and so technically, one of the lower ones, but it's from a point much higher on the plant than that term would suggest. I'll measure distances and compare them to the ones that are nearer the light at the end. But there's no point comparing results until the job is done. For now, any stable choice of branch will tell as much as any other; for watching development. That's all I'm doing for now. Personally, I'd always wait to see results before spending cash. So I'm just trying to give an honest show of what to expect with certain baselines.

F-e that's both interesting and given your name, ironic that you should say that, given I have been considering it to be as likely iron that needed adding. But I'll certainly try a basic feeding routine before adjusting the recipe, unless a clone known to me shows a very definite and specific additional requirement.

Pro lol, just because some idiot wins the lottery, and buys himself a Ferrari, doesn't make him a racing driver. A pro would get far more out of the light than I ever will, but the point here is, if I can do this with this, anyone out there buying one, will prob do as well if not better with theirs.

J

jaded1

I'd really like to find out what causes this def as well.My girl under a ts 1000w started getting blotches of dead leaf about 4 weeks in to flower that were spreading.I did manage to stop it but not sure what I threw at her did it
Leaves have had that spotting since then but didn't get any worse.At 1st thought it was calcium related but that didn't help at all.She was given a top dress of insect frass and high p guano and a couple of waterings with comfrey concentrate and it stopped
picture.php

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
From what I can make out, f-e seems on the money. I top dressed the plant in question with more fresh compost. Just to renew everything below as I top water
The issue seems to have stopped, so its basically just causing a higher requirement for nutrients. So many who overfeed, will probably not run into the issue and just get better weed at the end. For those who are used to creating a well timed natural fade, its gonna cause problems unless you "budget for higher feeding costs" time wise. I'll get some pics up later or tomorrow.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey forest. I don't have easy access to anything where I am. I can't even get Epsom salts without eucalyptus added. Tiny town life has its drawbacks too. It may help, but unless I can pick it up off a shelf, or order it online without a delivery charge many times the price (which I figure must raise a flag somewhere), then I'm out of luck.
I know city supermarkets prob carry it, but I'm no where near a big city. But yeah I agree, its prob the best source for organic. Thanks, I'm gonna add it to the list of things to look for if I ever venture into the metropolis again.

PICS:
Hmmmm
picture.php

Closer
picture.php

Side on
picture.php

Same plant, next clone in line, still Gelato 45
picture.php

Hamlet enjoying its daytime spot.
picture.php

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I took the gelato this morning. I'll do pics of buds when they're dried. I'm not a fan of the gelato buds.
New pics:
Better pic of the light
picture.php

My holy grail: seeds from the same source as the glue cross, thanks. This one is the black Dom x (g13HP).
picture.php

Hamlet on the right, g.glue x (g13hp) on the left
picture.php

Ecsdxsssdh on the left, cutting of gelato, ecsdxsssdh, and another seed of the glue cross.
picture.php

Gelato on the left, HKP on the right.
picture.php

Now I get to test the light. That size hkp in that smaller size of tub will give me 35grams of dry bud under a 400w HPS. If it get more under this light, the gelato is getting the boot as a waste of time. If it gets less, I may rethink using led to flower with. This light certainly keeps them happy in veg, but I need to know about flowering. Next 8 weeks will tell me.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
One quick note on penetration. The buds on the branch that was lying down, are pretty much identical to the buds on the branch nearest to the light. There was a good 2 foot of difference in distance between the light and lower buds and prob 5-6 inches on the nearest point. So science would argue with the plant. I don't know what to make of that to be honest.

HalfArsedFarmer

Hey GMT if you can get your hands on Black treacle with out much hassle I found it better than Blackstrap.

I could get Blackstrap from Health shops but it costs more since it's not common where I live and as a consequence I have been using Lyle's black treacle for years and here's why.

Inositol is a component of phosphorous and is found in black treacle at a ratio of around 6,000 mg per kilo
Pyridoxine 5mg per kilo (promotes root development)
we also get
biotin
Choline
Pantothenic acid
riboflavin
thiamine
all in trace amounts

minerals

copper 36mg per kg
iron 249mg per kg
manganese 35mg per kg
zinc 13mg per kg

Used at one teaspoon per 5L of water, first the teaspoon is melted in a small bit of hot water, than added to main water.

Many thanks to the old fart who put me onto Treacle.......

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Oh now that's interesting. Thanks HAF. I was going to ask if it desolves completely or if its an add, stir and pour thing. But I guess I'll find out. When would you typically add it? Just once a week into flowering or something else ?

HalfArsedFarmer

Hi GMT

As I said bud put the Treacle in a hot cup of water first to melt it then add to the main cold water you're going to use for feed.

I use it as a stress reliever too if my plants have had issue. Normally Cal mag in Coco as it has both of these in decent amounts.
I use it with worm casting in tea.
I don't want to call it a silver bullet but it covers a lot of bases for me in one little pot.

I normally start using a week before flower, once a week with worm cast in between a feeding.
You can add it with organic bottle feed too, I'm sure if you open a bottle of Biobizz or old timers organic flowering food you'll know the smell...

I took the gelato this morning. I'll do pics of buds when they're dried. I'm not a fan of the gelato buds.
New pics:
Better pic of the light
View Image

Yes buddy use it to flower too. I had 8 hlg quantums in 2700k & 3000k and in center i had a mars ts1000 that had a more whiter kelvin tone . the buds under the mars light had more crystal formation than my more red boards.. So ya use that same light just lower it to a foot above canopy as a starting point. Watch for bleaching n burnt leaves. Plant will tell u if it can handle intensity.. Good luck