What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tonygreens Tortured Beans tests for Mars Hydro FC-E4800

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Moving a long. Lots of work transplanting coming up. Getting ready for flower. Things blowing up nice!
Stuck the Black Rose thay in the fridge for a few nights.. old lady is pissed off but I have a couple that expressed some deep coloring.. most all have stripes appear and flushes of purple on the stems.
couple not affected... popping another tray to look for more colors..

Did the same with my Casey Jones. 1 dark purple stem the rest just a tad. Might have one of lous colored cuts!

3 and 4 to a pot mostly, have culled a few runts
20210827_155638.jpg
. Ready for transplant.

This light is a workhorse.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's what we found after the old Tom Hill refrigerator trick. Hard to get a good shot but see what I mean...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210827_233421.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.9 KB ID:	17928728
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210827_233542.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	17928729

Good versus not nearly as good purple response after 2 nights in the fridge.

Last edited:

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting technique, what is the purpose? At first I thought you put plants in fridge pre harvest but looks like I was misunderstood. Do you do the fridge tech before flowering?

I'm looking for plants that easily produce purple pigment!

All your plants will make purple easy, as they are building up photosynthates that are not being utilized by new growth, bud fill, root expansion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_rWkHYrd9V66sDJVsgPc66teZC3SnKbB0kQ&usqp=CAU.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.6 KB ID:	17929129

Photosynthates are generalized as sugars. Sugars are generally known to be acidic. Cyanidin glucosides creates by photosynthesis create the anthocyanin pigments. The sugar profile is dependent on quality of photosynthesis, which is dependent on quality of plant nutrition. Pigment indicates ph. Plants that grow deplete these photosynthates, and turn yellow if not replenished. Plants that don't grow turn purple.

The interaction between plant and microbe can dictate which part of the plant the sugars build up, but its mostly limited by calcium supply.. This is where the hydro shop steps in and sells everyone a PK booster instead of soluble calcium to utilize the excess weeks of phosphorus applications that's waiting on calcium to assist sugar relocation so the plant can continue growing. In organics you've already lost the race. Slow and steady is all about steady, not so much the slow.

If you see purple before bud set, you might as well see brown. No difference in severity of problems.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Crusty strikes again with another confusing post. We're talking quick response temperature induced color change. Please chill out with the absurd posts. Try a compliment, or post pix of what you can do instead of making everyone wonder what that means.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, all plants don't make purple easy or at the same production level. Particularly easy to see in a segregating population of known high level natural color producing plants.

We will see soon enough. I'll even throw a green one in for DHF ha!

If you posit that color production is the same in all plants and is not quantifiable or heritable you are incorrect. This is proven fact by 100s of years of science.

I assure you if I do a full sib cross of the green plants identified vs a full sib cross the better purplish producing plants you will see a definite difference in progeny when it comes to color.

Last edited:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was that yummy buds?? haha...

Topped the winners culled the losers with light or barely any coloring. Should slow em down slightly while the next rounds run the gauntlet. I'm building a team.
(kept a couple completely green ones)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210830_193335.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	17931179

therevverend

Veteran
Photosynthates are generalized as sugars. Sugars are generally known to be acidic. Cyanidin glucosides creates by photosynthesis create the anthocyanin pigments. The sugar profile is dependent on quality of photosynthesis, which is dependent on quality of plant nutrition. Pigment indicates ph. Plants that grow deplete these photosynthates, and turn yellow if not replenished. Plants that don't grow turn purple.

I like posts by people that don't grow cannabis, it's funny stuff. This guy doesn't grow so he doesn't understand that some plants turn purple because there's a gene that causes it. I have no idea what he's talking about through most of the post, I could look it up and figure it out but I'll just assume he's wrong and babbling nonsense. Since he's saying a 'purple plant is the same as a brown one'. I have a purple plant, 10 feet tall, that's been purple since it sprouted. Now it's covered in big colas that are ripening. It seems to be growing fine..

DunHav`nFun

I like posts by people that don't grow cannabis, it's funny stuff. This guy doesn't grow so he doesn't understand that some plants turn purple because there's a gene that causes it. I have no idea what he's talking about through most of the post, I could look it up and figure it out but I'll just assume he's wrong and babbling nonsense. Since he's saying a 'purple plant is the same as a brown one'. I have a purple plant, 10 feet tall, that's been purple since it sprouted. Now it's covered in big colas that are ripening. It seems to be growing fine..

Hey Rev......You know.......I`ve seen sooooo many idiotic posts over the yrs about the amount of anthocyanin inherent in genetically hand picked varieties , not to mention the cross breeding of purple plants to other either purple or non purple plants , that it`s almost funny when those academes and geniuses that`ve never popped a bean chime in with their "knowledge-droppin" selves.........I will admit I never saw the Tom Hill technique Tony , but if you think it`s the best wayta find the deepest color pheno`s , there must be something to it and I`m over here on my bucket waitin and watchin......I will say this......I busted 120 of the BR`s at once my last round with em , and EVERY pheno except 1 turned dark purple to almost black from the cross breeding Heath Robinson did back in the day with the Black Russians and Purple Shiva Skunks he hand-picked to make these beans from.........that said.....I did blast their ass with 50 watts per sq ft AND dropped lights out temps the last few weeks of flower though.....also......

I`ve seen genetically purple plants turn darker from more watts per sq ft. like Urkle and Grandaddy Purple , and I`ve seen plants turn darker from droppin temps in the last 3-4 weeks swellage till end of cycle , so I can understand Tom`s and Tony`s thinking behind the early fridge thingy , but to answer Crusty Cruz`s POV on how shit works with dope cultivars.....It`s in the genes dude and although you can make many plants turn colors to some degree with droppin temps in late bloomage , I assure you that what you hadta say in your post makes absolutely no sense to me as far as growin dope....and.....

What Tony`s working with is strictly old school genetics brought back to life by me when I found a care package in my barn freezer Heath had sent me well on many many yrs back , so I decided to pay it forward and gift what I made to some well trusted and class individuals that KNOW what they`ve got AND what they`re doin , so.....Carry on Tony.....Can`t wait to see how they do and what the future holds for the actual keeper pheno`s......Happy Labor Day guys.....gotta go check my smoker and feed the masses buncha pork butts and ribs with all da fixins.....

Peace.....DHF.......:ying:.......

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool thing is before we got together I talked to Heath about doing a Gorilla Bubble x Black Rose. He loved the idea of crossing the 2 inbreds for a true f1.
He also liked the idea of a sour d x black rose which he suggested. Incidently I'm sitting on my Karma G Sowah Diesel bx4 male from our collabs.
Heath sent me to his boy Tempa genetics who makes black rose and a few of his own hybrids for the uk.
We chatted it up but I never got to link up with him so dhf coming through on this particular lot is the universe working.

Now this is a big project and its going to take some time to do proper so sorry for the slow start bruce.
I can assure you this is going to be quite a visual show once we get going.

In the meantime here is a gg4ril mom and freakshow enjoying time under the fce4800 at 50% now... time to feed some.

20210908_122809.jpg

Attachments

• 20210908_122809.jpg
    20210908_122809.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 56

DunHav`nFun

It `s been a minute since Heath and I chatted , but the last time we talked I asked explicitly about sharin his gear cuz he was soooo pissed about everybody and their brother beggin for his genetics in public forum as well as in private message as well as it`s the main reason why he`s no longer active online .....He stops by at a few of the private invite only weedsites I`m a member of from time to time , but as I said , I `ve not talked to him in a while.....anyways......What he told me was......

Not to give his shit to just anyone , but rather ONLY to well trusted and worthy individuals that won`t hawk and exploit his name for the sake of profit , and I agreed wholeheartedly......and......Even though I gifted Tony with Heath `s gear AND he owns his own small seed biz , I know he `s good with someone of T `s integrity and demeanor , especially due to the fact unbenownst to me he `d already spoken to Heath about some cross-breeding along with his giving access to Tempa , which I KNOW he never offered that info out in public I assure you......anyways......

Good luck TG......I`ll be on my bucket in the corner watchin......Puff puff pass......and......

Peace......DHF......:ying:.......

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Saves a lot of space!
I wait until they have a few leaf sets and the stems "firm up" a bit with complete root growth before separating.

You can see that lower right for example. that would have been 4 cups if they were single.
One never popped up, one runt and 2 nice ones.
I'll pull that runt out then when I separate them to up pot it'll just be a nice clean cut..

I started with cups doing this but prefer these wider pots now.. this way 100 seedlings can be started in just 24 pots. This is what allowed me to pop 100s of seeds for gb selections.

It's my first major selection. Does this thing grow good?

I figured it was something like that. It's not often I see folks on here doing what I see people in the "regular" garden community doing.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My Kentucky grandma taught me the tools I needed to grow without me even knowing it ha!

Doing things right is the only reason anyone fucks with me for the most part. Works better than "lemme get a cut" lol.