Anyone Run Highland Mex x BB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in the 80's

Jane is about done with her 80s...her forever stretch is truely over...now filling out from the base of her limbs up...her tips rounding off in flower. Beautiful sativa structure.

Posting a few pics of some Casey Jones X HM X BB...Casey very much a creeper pheno plant imo...I put 6 beans in an outdoor planter fresh off the vine...3/6 strike rate...just looking for girls...an exploratory jab...

Comment

Originally posted by THE PABLOS View Post
      Jane is about done with her 80s...her forever stretch is truely over...now filling out from the base of her limbs up...her tips rounding off in flower. Beautiful sativa structure.
      Good news, Pablos. My Thai Haze just did the same thing at about day 65, but she's a 1.5 year old clone. I love it when the Sativa girls start to put on bulk, so elegant. Good work hanging in there, man.

I cloned the tips of each of my HMxBB seedlings after letting them get to about the 8th node, and with the exception of the A clone which mysteriously withered and died 2 days after cutting, B C and D have rooted and are looking extremely healthy. I'm going to sex them and cull the females as soon as they show, don't have room for them, but I'll let any males drop some powder and make a few test crosses. The seed plants are in 4" square pots of coco, healthy and green and branching heavily, I'll be taking clones of them in a few days when I do a round of cuttings.

We may have found a place to do our vertical grow, a patient friend of mine has approached me about setting up a show in his space and running it for him, and he's all about growing old-school genetics. I've been gifting him samples of my Sativas for a few years now and he's seen the light. When I told him there were even more legit Sativas than what I was sharing with him, but I didn't have the facilities to grow them properly, his eyes lit up. The HMxBB F1 is at the top of my list to take to the sky. So we'll see.

Thanks again for making these genes available, Chimera. This is some fun Indiana Jones-type adventure growing... hunting for the treasure!
      A new breath I feel the grip releasin'
      Scraping my guts off of the ceiling
      I've got that sunny bunny feelin'...

Comment

Go with it Ponde...keep us updated on the directions you take...would love to see the vert grow with the Highland. I'll update with some pics when I see her making dramatic flower bulking progress...I'm thinking she'll be done by 140daze...still hard to say though. Peace.

Comment

94daze Flower

Moved some plants out of the way to get these shots...poor as they may be...Jane filling out nicely....noticeably at least to yers truely. I'm now feeding her PK every other watering(so every other day...water daily...she still dries the 3gal square of coco in 24hrs...a trigger point...when she slows down I'll start completely flushing) and a few feeds ago I gave her just the slightest dash of N...do not be dismayed...she is done stretching and I just don't want to fade her yet...though you might be able to see some yellowing.

She and I have been dealing with the White Flys the entire grow and if it were not for those bastards I'd venture to say that she would be text book healthy looking...well as an indoor cramped up sativa anyways.

So that is where we are...wish I could show ya the mesa that is Janes canopy...fairly even and uniform...pretty happy with that. I've learned to zip tie the bamboo stakes together to add strength and stability....as the coco dries she is able to pull her stakes and head for the lights...just a few hairs away...but by zipping the stakes to each other it is much stronger...with the different angles in the design of the hold...good lesson and I've been using that practice on other plants in the bunker.

I believe this is a good way to BB sativa...I'll put it that simple. If a grower has experience growing blues I believe that they would be able to select a BB leaning plant very early on...within perhaps the 1st 2wks of growth. I do not want to come across as cocky...because I'm not...this has been a bitch of a grow and a challenge to my skillls as a skimmer(light mover grower)....but I'm telling you what I've seen...and I'm telling you I don't think finding a BB sativa at least in structure is that difficult to find in this cross. I imagine the F2 are golden. IMO Chimera was border line genius making this cross...and that's not kissing ass...between the landrace selection he used and the lines that DJ Short has taken with his BB...it is the correct marinade/recombo. I will go off on my own path... with what I've been given...feeling like I have the best foundation to work from in my quest.

No this grow is not over...but I've got her now...and it's winding down. We'll flush her until she is practically dead on the vine...it is unfortunate that the make up of my bunker...genetically and structural and concerning light hours and spectrum...does not allow me to grow this girl out proper...others I feel will get better results if they dial their rooms and run clones...it would probably be 1/2 the work as well. This is a stunning plant to grow...the experience will make you a better grower fundamentally and spiritually.

Comment

Comin' Down The Mountain.....

.....Jane flushing now fer over a wk...we're at flowering day 112.......and she is finishing up....fading fast....her pistils browning....her resin glands more prominent and clouding up...gawd!!!...what a mess...talking about a bad hair day....po' thang.

Finding this phase to be as tedious as the rest of the flowering cycle...my girl Jane is dying to self...must be on a daily search & destroy with tweezers and a trained eye...clusters of nanners pop out on a good many of her flowers...patiently they are removed as they show themselves. Careful fingering of her flowers before lights out to ensure there are none deep within.
            I expected nanners and in no way shocked...this is not her element afterall and one even 1/2 ass look at her will tell ya the story...all the trauma she was exposed to...and being at least 1/2 landrace sativa....not the least prone to intersex traits to begin with imo....if this discourages ya please remember that she was beat up to Hell and back...in better environments perhaps this wouldn't be the case.

I'll continue to flush her until she stops drinking, starts to get over ripe, or her attempts to mate with herself becomes too much an issue. Looking forward to doin' some bong rips of ol' Jane here...I'll tell ya that.////

Comment

Yeah, Pablos... way to make her work.

I just culled HMxBB D, a male with severe autoflowering traits. Don't want to pass that on. B and C are both showing male preflowers but none have opened, and A is the lone female with a bit more BB influence in the leaf shape than the 2 keeper males. I'll be taking clones from her this evening and flowering out 1 or 2 small ones to make F2's with pollen from the 2 males. That was the whole reason I bought these seeds, the F2 and beyond. Should be into those in just a few months!

Comment

Yeah Ponde I understand the f2 thing....this is going to be great weed but I'm not happy about how I had to grow her...and I don't normally get like that critical about my grows dude...but this one shoulda been done different...not throwing myself off a bridge or anything but just bothered that I slipped up thinkin' I'd be able to do it this way...

The CJ X HM X BB are gettin' on toward sexing...I'll not chance it if I get a female...I'll run from clone...if I get males I'll snuff...this is just a scouting party to get an idea of what happened in this recombo. Not taking it too serious yet...but they is healthy growers my friend. Have my Congo male and female in flower now...I'll incross...one male one female....selected only because they survived my July blunder...at least they're weathered and tough...lol...it's all I gots Ponde.....Hey man good luck on yer projects....I'll get some harvest shots up next time....and a smoke report down the road...I'm goin' smoke the hell outta this one. Peace

Comment

THE PABLOS - "I'm not happy about how I had to grow her" There's always next time. If it means anything, I feel the same way about the oaxacans I have now. I know I can control them so much better, I just let them have their way a bit too much. Good luck bro!

Comment

Harvested

.....not long after my last post...Jane was becoming too sketchy with her desires to self. Had to piece her out...her flowers individually wrapped in news paper...gently rolled and compressed...I did this to slow down the drying process(low RH here which with light,wispy type sativa flowers can be problem) and give some structure to the flowers. The news paper ends were twist tied and the flowers placed in a brown paper grocery bag...standing up on their branches....left undisturbed in a dark closet fer five daze then unwrapped...these pics show what they looked like coming out of the news papers....they have now been pieced out and placed in large cure jars.

This is what the roots look like....

I smoked a little....very mellow and light head...creeper weed. The flav(uncured) has that undertone that a lot of sativas have...don't know how to describe it...just a trait flav.....I live close to the Mex border and ya can tell this weed has Mex in its make up...if ya have smoked a lot of Mex import(like myself...kinda grew up on it) ya would probably comment that this upper echelon old skool(and still coming across the border...no matter what these boards would have ya believe...there is still quality landrace sativa coming across the border...believe what ya want but I'm down here) import Mex. Good stuff.

I'll slowly cure this harvest and will be back with a more detailed smoke report. Thanks to all those who took the ride with me and followed this grow. I have selected a nice female Casey Jones X HM x BB that I'll be flowering from clone in the next month or so...if there is any interest I'll post some updates as that grow progresses...I really like the selected female.

EDIT: forgot to mention...found beans from my very early on pollination...tiny dark f2 beans

Comment

Way to go, Pablos... patience rewarded is sweet. My Thai Haze x Skunk girl finished recently, and even with just a 4 week cure it's some of the nicest smoke in my stable right now. Mangoes, carrots and incense, comes on like a soft embrace then completely takes your mind away. Hopefully we can keep our hands out of the jars for a few more months.

My remaining 3 HMxBB's are all sexed, and it appears I've hit the F1 lottery given the selection pool I have to work with. The two males, B and C (Hector and Luis), are at both ends of the spectrum, structure-wise. The B male is extremely tall and lanky, with long internodes, very thin leaf blades and a slim but tough stem. The C male is much shorter, less than half the height, with tight internodal spacing, slightly webbed leaf blades, and a visibly fatter stem. The female is exactly right in the middle of the two, structurally. A little taller than the C male, not as tall as the B male, with medium internodal spacing, slim leaf blades with a tiny hint of fatness in the middle of the blades. The Mex-leaning B male has thrown a few preflowers, but nowhere near as many as the D male that I culled. But the female and the C male are holding on in veg like a champ. I would post some photos, but there's not a AA battery to be had in this house. I'll get to it soon.

I've culled all the seed plants, and I've mothered (and 'fathered') them up as clones. The seed plants absolutely took over my veg area with their insane branching. I've decided that instead of mixing the pollen from the two males, I'm going to pollinate two separate HMxBB females with each of the males, so I have 2 parallel F2 lines to play with. That should keep me busy for a while.

The first HMxBB female is experiencing her very first long night as we type. I'm flowering her from a very short clone, only about 4" tall, in a 6 inch square pot of coco. I plan on pruning both seed mothers to a single cola and growing them in the corner of my room. We'll see how that goes. I'm not going for smoke yield on this run, this is all about F2 seed.

I'll also be crossing these males with whatever I've got in flower at the time they're ready, just for fun. Looks like it'll tentatively be some Deep Congo, Dubya, E32 Wreck and Super Jack. The Deep Congo F1 really piques my interest, I'm looking forward to seeing what the HMxBB-C male does with her. I've always had amazing plants come from F1xF1 hybrids, it's not any sort of rule, just my luck over the years. But judging from the head of the Deep Congo, and the reports of the head of HMxBB, I have a feeling there will be some profound combinations of the Congo's rhythmic energy and the Guerreran's happy tingliness.

Photos to come when I get off my ass and go to the store for batteries.

Comment

[quote=THE PABLOS;2606806]TJ...I've wanted to at least add MH in my flower room...

Have you tried a CMH.My 4oo makes the buds look a lot better.They might not get as big as a HPS,but it's not much.
                        Last edited by Bonehead; 11-12-2009, 04:35. Reason: addition
                        Chimera's"Vision Thai/Blueberry":watchplant::smokeit :http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=150344

Comment

Where I am with Highland Mex...

....Good morning Ponde...been a while. I have the Highland curing in two big jars. I pop the lids once a week and take a little sample out as the jars breathe. Can't really detail the flav other than to note it has a kinda spicey undertone that I've found common in many sativas....found that same kinda undertone in Hazes....but I can't detect any berry nor fruit. Creeper kind of high that is functionable....staying slightly underneath yer perception so that ya kinda wonder whether yer high but it definitely enhances things. I noted before that this was quality Mexican and that's what it is....a solid landrace infused breeding tool....no designer weed....

I've got a Casey Jones(the most TW leaning pheno I had) X Highland Mex....30some daze in flower....from seed. I'm flowering in a 4" sq of coco placed inside a 2gal bucket....add the feed to the bottom of the bucket and let the plant bottom feed over the course of a couple daze. So far she is staying stout(very manageable) and flowering happily. I have her clone being set up to be dusted with Casey Jones X C99BX....this is one of the courses I'm taking with the Highland genetics.....I'll start in on the Flo X Highland later this winter but my Flo momma is so dominant in her crosses that I can almost promise ya I'll be seeing her over and over.

I'll be crossing the same Casey Jones X C99BX male into a Congo then plan to outcross Congo X CJ x C99BX into CJ x Highland X CJ x C99BX.....basically trying to keep a couple landrace sativas close to the genetic surface but tailored to be grown indoors. When I did my research on the Congo...noting that short phenos are readily found(true) I speculated that I might be involving the Congo with the Highland....though I wanted to add other genetics into the mix beforehand (CJ X C99BX) fer common ground....the Flo X Highland I'm treating as a seperate process because I want to keep that side going in a Blue line direction.....if any of that makes sense.

....so yup movin' along with the Highland projects.

Bonehead....I've considered many different things....but in all honesty....if ya want to cultivate landrace sativas to their potential....and that's all ya want to grow...there are those kinds of options. I however...grow all kinds of different stuff...and I can only get so crazy on movers,perpetual,multiple variety.....someday I'll have a greenhouse....until then I do what I have to do to collect the genetics I need to make it all work in the bunker. My breeding goals always start with what will perform well in my set up....sometimes many steps must be taken to make it so....that's the game and the work.

Comment

Damn, Pablos has been keeping busy. As someone who grows perpetual, in a limited space with a variety of strains, I can understand just how much mental energy it takes to finish the work you're talking about. You go, man. You'll get your greenhouse. So will I. I have a feeling you and I are thinking along the same lines as far as breeding goes - not entirely for right now, but also for the future. Someday, old-world Sativas will be all we smoke, if we want. For now, we'll have to continue to go against nature and do our best to grow these untamed heirloom genetics in a tent just so we can taste them every so often, while we keep searching for something new-school that finishes somewhat quickly and yields well enough to make it worth our while to invest in the resources necessary to grow it indoors, yet still has some decent head to it. It's a fucking tightrope! The game and the work, indeed.

This thread fucking rocks... this hybrid is generating a lot of discussion and keeping several people really busy. The stories encoded in these genetics will continue to be told, and I'm stoked to be part of that continuum, in my own little 3-plant-selection way.

Comment

Hey Pablos,

You actually got some pretty good colas out of that plant- look more filled in than mine. I got rows of individual flowers stacked and sugar coated with resins, very long pistils.

I do hope you'll put a bud of that stuff away for a year! cause I broke into my stash for some empty jars and broke off a bud of special reserve HMxBB twisted one up and puffed a smmoooth tasty perfectly burning joint that lifts you off like a jet aircraft, higher and higher- It's still too spacey psychodelic for me to get anything done afterward!

Nicely done!

Comment

Sketch of Madrid

Madrid is the Casey Jones X Highland Mex x Blueberry girl I'm working with. I was going to run her from clone but decided to run her from seed in 4"....actually I think they are more like 5" squares of coco....and as I posted bottom fed.....bamboo teepee...incorporating the use of zip tyes...tricks learned...

Pix of Madrid at 34daze flower....bottom fed in this set up the whole way...she is a member of a test group of various variety I have flowering this way....with dreams of keeping them under moving 600hps(Madrid is under by about a foot but she is still stretching) without having to overly bend...though I like to still supercrop in flower...don't care what the rules say...supercropping in flower slows nothing down....
                                this method I'm experimenting with saves me precious space in the height restricted bunker. So far so good...no signs of problems.

Ponde...we do what we do...another trait I think sativas have is: they go very well with cold cerveza...especially Mex cerveza....truely I find they have more trippy properties when a few cold ones are had....not drunken mind ya but breezing around sativa trippy....I do have to think that we are on similar paths brother....just trying to fix everything into bean form and hopefully create something unique in the process....then maybe I can sit back and look at the ride and find some satisfaction.

Ulysses...good to see ya in here again brother....feel like now I've gotten through the landrace phase(my Congo is flushing and f2ed) and now it's the start of mixing and mashing to find the right combo of expressions. Two big cure jars of Highland....Jane is plentiful....I smoke a bit of her once a wk minimum....I'll be doing that fer more than a yr....so all stages of cure shall be absorbed lol....the cure really improves on this one I'll say...the high sometimes makes me clumsy...something I notice every time I smoke her...bump into stuff and hang up on things...doesn't last but after the 1st ripper I'll be all clumsy fer about 1/2 an hr....then just steady light happy head trips...clear and constant. Great social weed.

Comment

Working...
                                X