Be careful what you ask for*

Leave a comment:

• Tom Hill
    replied
    Be careful what you ask for*

Leave a comment:

• RingtailCanyon
    replied
    I was totally joking by the way. I wish Tom 100 years of success. And 100 years of haze

Leave a comment:

• RingtailCanyon
    replied
    did Tom Hill disappear? Come back Tom. Can somebody fake his death again?

Leave a comment:

• resin_lung
    replied
    I believe this paper gets into what Tom’s been been saying.

I believe it does anyway.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7329997/

Leave a comment:

• zif
    replied
    They’re both good, but virtually two separate works.

More detail on methods in the first edition.

Second edition is more tightly aimed at how to think about breeding.

Many more differences, but those were the broad strokes for me.

Edit - Table of Contents from 2nd edition, for comparison.

Originally posted by bsgospel View Post
    I just received a Christmas gift in the mail. Principles of Plant Breeding by Allard.

However, this is the first edition (arguably a little more rare but doesn't seem to be up to modern par with its second edition.)

Has anyone taken the time to read both? I'm going to get the second edition no matter what but I wanted to see if anyone out there was familiar with this ur-text and wanted to jam about it.
    Last edited by zif; 01-05-2021, 14:16.

Leave a comment:

• medicine77
    replied
    Originally posted by bsgospel View Post
    I just received a Christmas gift in the mail. Principles of Plant Breeding by Allard.

However, this is the first edition (arguably a little more rare but doesn't seem to be up to modern par with its second edition.)

Has anyone taken the time to read both? I'm going to get the second edition no matter what but I wanted to see if anyone out there was familiar with this ur-text and wanted to jam about it.
    Just get TomHill to talk to you about page 169.

Leave a comment:

• alamony2005
    replied
    Im still alive and kicking and praying this Rez Dog Double Strawberry Diesel bean pops.

Oh hello Tom.

Leave a comment:

• bsgospel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• medicine77
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Hill View Post
    Correct, the species as a whole rather than individual plants or groups of plants from within the species as we will ultimately find is the case with cannabis.

There has simply not been put forth working alternative theories to my mind how a measurably female bias group can achieve equalibrium other than an actively degenerating Y same as spontaneous entirely female seedlots other than easily affected X but by all means i am open to listening if anybody got some ha? Crickets.

One does not have* to work it out in their head before running off to the lab - but that is the tradition among higher mortals haha. If we do not understand what we are looking for then whats the friggin point.
    Certation would lead to a skewed ratio, however I'm somewhat confused by the Y stuff and most likely need to give this thread a good read!! initially I read you were talking about a female lot having a "male" that was XX and then talk about populations as a whole whereby % are skewed??

https://www.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/...1111/evo.12283

Leave a comment:

• star crash
    replied
    Originally posted by Lester Beans View Post
    Hey Tom how ya doing? Happy New Year dude..
    Yeah ... x2

Leave a comment:

• Lester Beans
    replied
    Hey Tom how ya doing? Happy New Year dude..

Leave a comment:

• medicine77
    replied
    Originally posted by GMT View Post
    Mainly, how to explain a reliably observable 70% female and 30% male population, in the presence of and absence of, intersexed flowers.
    I guess it just takes a small percentage of female plants to be monecious and therefore skew numbers a fully dioecious population is 50/50

[QUOTE]3.2 Sex assay validation
    The CSP?1 assay was used to test a total of 2,170 plants of 14 cultivars. In all but one population the genetic male:female ratio fit the expected 1:1 model (Chi?square p > .05, Table S1). The individuals genetically scored as females were planted in field trials and the individuals genetically scored as males were discarded or moved to greenhouse conditions. Approximately 98% of the screened genetic females were phenotypically female. Approximately 1% of the screened genetic females were monoecious, including individuals from three cultivars (Table S1). Two screened plants were phenotypically male, and when retested, shown to be originally miscalled. About 270 plants genetically scored as male from four hemp cultivars were allowed to flower in greenhouse conditions, and all were phenotypically male (Table 2).

Perhaps a reason for a "male" in an all female population is that one of the females used for pollen had a auxin problem, as it is stated in the paper SamS put up -

The identification of the two QTLs for sex determination
    across locations is a significant step toward understanding
    the sex determination system (monecious and diecious) of
    cannabis. Two auxin response factor genes (arf2 and arf5), bZIP
    transcription factor 16-like and gene gibberellic acid insensitive
    (gai) that codes for the DELLA RGL1-like protein were identified
    in QTLSex_det1 for sex determination. These genes are involved
    in the balance of the phytohormones auxins and gibberellic acid,
    which are known to play an active role in the sex expression (male
    or female) in many crops, such as hemp or spinach
    It is likely that QTLSex_det1 contributes to regulate sex
    determination by controlling the expression of male and female
    inflorescences in a female genetic background, for example
    through downregulation of gai gene and/or downregulation of
    auxin response factor genes. Both effects might promote the
    development of male flower organs in female plants, leading
    to a monecious hemp.
    Instead of a degenerating Y (though Y is bigger in Canna than other plants?) so has lots of copies and has been suggested that this lead to the heteromorphism of the sex chromosomes, so maybe they are the ones to self!!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcbb.12667
    https://link.springer.com/article/10...A1026574405717

Leave a comment:

• Thesearch
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonygreen View Post
    Shit, big thanks to Tom. Not that it means much during a pandemic, I know the drill, send checks and toilet paper ha!
    But FWIW I've gotten more deep emotional responses to this line than any other. People really love it. It makes you feel good and ok and vibe not just stoned. I put on the description it makes you want to sing and it does lol. Cool flower.
    hey Tony! is this cross released? thanks!

Leave a comment:

• mexcurandero420
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonygreen View Post
    Hey Tom, got these in from the ptk x gorilla bubble.
    Everyone loves her, she makes you feel electric and good. I think it's the thcv! Had to come from the ptk. GB doesn't have any thcv.
    And the b pinene!

View Image

View Image

View Image
    Funny that Myrcene is abcense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X