Choice Chimeras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work Zif, hard graft always pays off
    Lovely work as per norm from your grows and reports. Thanks for sharing. Happy Growing.

Comment

Originally posted by zif View Post
      Definitely could have made these first grafts a week or two ago.
      View Image

Even so, looking like a good strike rate. I'm running <35% rh pretty consistently, but none of the scions wilted. Even in better conditions, very bad grafts wilt surprisingly quickly. Fingers crossed.

They're starting to look for bigger pots, but only the chosen flowering plants are going to get one. Well, unless they're really unhappy looking!
      View Image

This latter girl has a really wonderful structure for grafting. She'll respond like she's been topped, and be ready for several more scions soon.

Took pictures of the steps, but my photographic process is all out of joint. Soon come, mon.

Inspirational work on the grafting - watching with interest!
      Albums

Comment

simple grafting - part one

Here’s one of the plants before I started.

This round of grafting was the top-swapping stage. Great for instantly halving your plant count while saving every seedling’s unique genotype.

It’s nice to have three or more well established nodes. I’ve waited a little long here, but only because I don’t want to repot. Flexible, green, quickly growing stems are always easy to graft.

I remove leaves and branches from just above where I’ll put the new graft up to where the growth is very new.

The idea is to minimize surface area for transpiration, while keeping a decent amount of stem (and its stores of water and carbohydrates). One quick slice with a razor blade, and there’s really no turning back.

Here’s the second plant, post beheading.

It’s very promising if you get a good flow of sap at the cut. These two pics were a fraction of a second apart, and show a healthy flow. (It’s only easy to see if you open them in tabs and flip back and forth.)

More to come....
        Simple grafting: process, progress, result

Comment

simple grafting - part two

Here's the other plant ready for cutting.

At this point, I'm working fast. Prepping a plant takes a minute or so. The rest of the steps are a matter of seconds.

Cut, and now to split. I try to choose an angle that will make the split in the rootstock about as wide as the scion, but it's horseshoes and hand grenades. Close enough is fine.

Slap on my tag / clip.

And turn to the top cut from the other plant.

Comment

simple grafting - part three

To become a scion, all she needs is a gently cut, wedge shaped end.

Starting from here:

Two slices get us there:

Slip wedge into the cleft...

and pinch/cinch the scion in tightly.

80+% of the time, one plant becomes two. Severe wilting within 3-4 days spells doom. 1-2% fail for less obvious reasons after that.

So far, no bad signs from this batch.

(When working out this technique, I recorded 130 grafts - and 83% took.)
            Last edited by zif; 02-21-2021, 13:06. Reason: clarity; data

Comment

To become a scion, all she needs is a gentle wedge shaped end.

Starting from here:
              View Image

Two slices get us there:
              View Image

Slip into the wedge...
              View Image

View Image

80+% of the time, one plant becomes two. Severe wilting within 3-4 days spells doom. 1-2% fail for less obvious reasons after that.

Solid gold tutorial. Particularly helpful about the state/timing of scions and host plants. I'll be trying this later today as part of my plan to consolidate my collection of mums...
              Albums

Comment

To become a scion, all she needs is a gentle wedge shaped end.

Starting from here:
                View Image

Two slices get us there:
                View Image

Slip into the wedge...
                View Image

View Image

No hormones or anything applied to the wound? Nice write up, very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by aliceklar View Post
                  Solid gold tutorial. Particularly helpful about the state/timing of scions and host plants. I'll be trying this later today as part of my plan to consolidate my collection of mums...
                  I saw you were planning that.

Don’t get me wrong, it takes a little practice. Not because it’s hard - but because you need some experience to get a feel for it.

Working fast and clean seems like the key skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenome View Post
                    No hormones or anything applied to the wound? Nice write up, very interesting.
                    Yep - that’s the whole shebang!

Ideally the wedge fits so that there is very little wound from the scion showing. Matching the edge of the scion (cambium, really) to the edge of the rootstock let’s the cells do what they do to repair the wound.

That’s the only part that matters. Just one side is enough, so you can also put two small scions in one larger rootstock very easily this way.

I used to bag the tops with tiny bags for humidity, but found good grafts don’t do any better with them.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. I have long been curious about how you go about it. Very interesting.

§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

— Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty

Comment

Six days out - 100% alive. Odd failures could still happen, but I like what I’m seeing.

One scion had come close to wilting - weeping, like willow, if you will. Now I can’t pick her out of the crowd.

A couple are doing canna-yoga, serious sun salutations. The mock topping response.

Her nodes with still-expanding leaves were just above the graft’s tape only five days ago.

Compared with then, the scion’s top few nodes are looking about ready to explode.

————————

I’ve just discovered how nice heat guns are for heating bangers. Great stuff; fun to resurrect the vrip/eagle bill era Cadillac.

Just fiddling with temps, but it reaches a steady state fairly quickly, and holds it indefinitely. Very convenient!
                        Last edited by zif; 02-18-2021, 21:13. Reason: posted the wrong 24h old graft pic!

Comment

Wow, amazing tutorial Looks like fun.

Comment

Thanks BR!

Fun and useful.

It’s easier than cloning, takes fewer resources, and helps more when space and/or plant counts are limiting factors.

Comment

Sixteen days after the first grafts. A week ago I did another round of grafts, taking a run at making a new mom / backup for all of the skunk seeds.

One graft failed. That gave me a chance to practice a long-shot rescue method. If you catch the first signs of crispy wilting, sometimes pinching off everything but the lowest branching sites will let a graft right on the edge recover. Not this time.

I think I should have pinched more. The idea is to give just a little responsibility to the newly formed graft tissue. It also lets you take all of the dead wilted tissue, and a healthy margin for good measure.

The other scions are in various stages of success. The happiest one, number four, was almost as wilted as the failure. But it was a 'healthy' wilt, never a hint of crisping. She's now joined the original graft in vigorous growth.

I've already culled three of the six original plants, as rootstocks, anyway. A couple were tending towards much more compact growth - the plants like #1 above are still putting on very nice structure for grafting.

Comment

Forgive me if I missed it but are you performing all of these grafts at the same time? Is there any benefit to spreading out the grafts over any period to let the host plant adapt/heal/recalibrate or whatever? Or is there no difference if you slap on 6 grafts all in the same day?
                                Tell the people you love that you love them.

Comment

Working...
                                X