What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tom Hill Haze

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Thanks Maha, always appreciated. I found the THoHaze x 90sohaze leaned more towards the 90sohaze in effect and growth pattern

sure it was different, I had 90shaze mom with toms haze dad, probably slightly different. but like you said not much of toms haze. a little bit :D I should have grown zamal x toms haze more, next time :D when it will be possible,,,

but I am not much to grow 18weeks plant, so toms haze with its reasonable times is ideal for me. but you can right? your climate allows it? although durbans are shorter flowering sativas too, no?

Red October

The THH is more reasonable for me too, my climate will allow to see the ohaze till end, we never get frost and rain is reasonable most years, but I must wait till I'm in a big enough space again before having plants outdoors, hopefully next season.

Proper Durban is meant to finish early, but I haven't seen good Durban for many years.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
it is acidic citric pheno of toms haze I have. supposed to be thai dom yes. I didnt mean all colombians, I meant selection of original haze which leans to colombian side. that it is not so racy and not so trippy like haze which leans to heavy thai. just like Tom talks about it:

I cant talk for all colombians, but for colombian phenos of ohaze yes, I know it very well. it is base for dutch haze. Toms haze is different. it is more clear and more trippy. colombian side is more relaxing.

I have some colombians I wanted to grow. like colombian gold, purple santa marta colombian x double panama, seedsman haze, 90s haze, panama x a5 etc. but now I am busy with toms haze crosses :D colombians have to wait.
The THH’s I’ve grown have been very good, but far too few to find the acid like Thai effects. Perhaps some day.

LostTribe

Premium user
I want to report that today I only smoke one chillum. A full bowl to the head of THH 9 the minty 16+ weeker. I normally would have already smoked a few more bowls but decided to wait it out and see how long it would take to get back completely sober. Well its now been 12 hours and a wave is still hitting me. I will have to see if the 8 is capable of the same longevity. I would say the potency on this one is extreme.

Attachments

• photo2066113.jpg
    photo2066113.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 57

Red October

I want to report that today I only smoke one chillum. A full bowl to the head of THH 9 the minty 16+ weeker. I normally would have already smoked a few more bowls but decided to wait it out and see how long it would take to get back completely sober. Well its now been 12 hours and a wave is still hitting me. I will have to see if the 8 is capable of the same longevity. I would say the potency on this one is extreme.

It's crazy when you find something that keeps you high till the next day.

olday

Veteran

Great find, too funny how many smokers would turn their nose up at the looks of it ;)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
it is acidic citric pheno of toms haze I have. supposed to be thai dom yes. I didnt mean all colombians, I meant selection of original haze which leans to colombian side. that it is not so racy and not so trippy like haze which leans to heavy thai. just like Tom talks about it:

I cant talk for all colombians, but for colombian phenos of ohaze yes, I know it very well. it is base for dutch haze. Toms haze is different. it is more clear and more trippy. colombian side is more relaxing.

I have some colombians I wanted to grow. like colombian gold, purple santa marta colombian x double panama, seedsman haze, 90s haze, panama x a5 etc. but now I am busy with toms haze crosses :D colombians have to wait.

I'm beginning to think I prefer my Hazes cut a little more on the young side. When the terpenes peak has generally been a good time to cut for my Oaxacans. The consensus seems to be to let hazes go for as long as they show any signs of growth, and then some. I find the effects much sharper and wackier a few weeks or even a month before that. Flowered for 16 weeks and more I don't see those reactions in people anymore. I think it does get closer to the dutch style norm that people are already used to.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I think that what you say confirms Toms words about that kind of buzz for colombian.

I personally dont chop individual plant according to some consensus, but according to plant, so my nose can detect peak of terps clearly and it is not 11 weeks for 17 weeks plant. it is, in fact, 17 weeks and it can go longer every time.

my advice, for toms haze is, when you think it is done, wait another week or two :D

edit: the plant is not maturing equally. tops are later than lower part. so I think that at 17 weeks tops of my cut are not so extremely matured, so I get both very matured buds from lower part and not so much matured from tops:D when I grow it big in greenhouse. she is octopuses and twice so big as nevilles haze or bandaid haze, for same sized cuts before flipping it into flowering.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
some things about colombian sativas mainly colombian gold mixed in Ohaze, as punto rojo was quite rare in USA as funkyhorse can confirm, are really interesting. and it makes them different from other tropical sativas. one is remarkable cold resistance. then it is occur of broad leaf phenotypes. chunky ones next to those extreme NLD. those chunky ones are usually stronger. quite a variety. and smoke reports of late 70s when popularity of colombian gold reached the peak, remarkably, talk about denser and kind of "stony" dreamy effect. of course they didn't mean something like couchlock or drooling retard thing by that "stony" effect.they compared it to mexican sativas which were more popular in USA, before 1975/76 when colombian gold import kicked in...

now we can add another interesting information from Thule, and that it is more energetic and active when chopped earlier, sounds like indica feature in it. I dont say anything, just try to get this information together, and till now it seems that it leads one to think colombian gold was hybrid designed for commercial purposes, for good and productive growing in Colombia highlands, in Santa Marta for example. same scenario for Panama red. like today, you dont use inbred line for commercial production, hybrid is much better for it. I dont say it was 50 % indica, but something more chunky and quicker was mixed in it seems.

seedsman haze grown by white buffalo:

fetch

some will say it is skunkhaze, but maybe broad leaf was mixed in CG somehow, long before Skunkman crossed his haze with skunk... but all those information about colombian haze are remarkable imo.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I have to add that I wasn't talking about ohaze in particular. I have grown more of it's f1 hybrids than the haze itself and in this particular occation I have the Oaxacan Gold x O Haze in fresh memory. The Oaxacan side already favored an earlier harvest and got "muddy" if you kept it for too long. This was agreed upon by the guy who sent me the seeds.

In all probability back in the day most Mexican import would have been chopped on the raw side. Oaxacan still stood out and I guess so did Colombian gold at times. I encourage people to harvest in stages and find out what they personally prefer.

Definitely the earlier harvests have always brought out the wackiest behaviors in my test subjects. The longer flowered parts have just mellowed around the edges a little. A more rounded high you could say. This was true for both the Indian haze and the Oaxacan Haze.

The dutch vibes I mentioned come from the haze terpenes and the longer finish rather than a hybrid feel per se.

Your speculation might still be on the right track. I always imagined Lebanese blonde hashplants as a possible gene donor in latin America but it's all speculation of course. Oldtimer's haze to me looks pure East Indian/Bengali/Zamal like..

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran

That’s very encouraging, man.

Raho

Veteran
some things about colombian sativas mainly colombian gold mixed in Ohaze, as punto rojo was quite rare in USA as funkyhorse can confirm, are really interesting. and it makes them different from other tropical sativas. one is remarkable cold resistance. then it is occur of broad leaf phenotypes. chunky ones next to those extreme NLD. those chunky ones are usually stronger. quite a variety. and smoke reports of late 70s when popularity of colombian gold reached the peak, remarkably, talk about denser and kind of "stony" dreamy effect. of course they didn't mean something like couchlock or drooling retard thing by that "stony" effect.they compared it to mexican sativas which were more popular in USA, before 1975/76 when colombian gold import kicked in...

Hi Maha.
Statements like that would only be made by somebody who doesn't really understand how HUGE the USA is, or they weren't old enough to be in the game when the period you are talking about went down here. Either that or they never really thought about the fact that their experience here back then was a tiny bubble in an ocean of bubbles.
It is just a massive incorrect generalization.
European countries are the size of American states, so it isn't surprising that this might not be obvious to someone not from the US. Of course, each city/state/region had it's own pipelines in the black market herb trade. Hell, a load could be brought in by one passionate adventurer that would never make it beyond a group of 50 or 100 people. And of course, individual weed lovers carried their best stuff with them when they traveled around, like dead shows, but on a micro scale. Seeds and quarter pounds came back to college campuses after christmas vacation every year, then spread around and traveled again, outward to the 4 corners of the country. Just one example of how things flowed and disappeared.
Basically, the "good stuff" was everywhere, all the time, and almost impossible to get (if that makes any sense.) Like catching lighting.

Even though it was MUCH easier to find commercial Mexican herb on the west coast of the US, and commercial Colombian dominated the east coast in the late 70s, it didn't mean that the obvious trade route bias wasn't crossed on a regular basis when there was demand and opportunity for profit.

Some places in the US are like magnets and attract the best black market goods to them from all over the world.
The SF Bay Area was one of those places, NYC of course. There are many others but I figure I had to list at least 2.

You can't discount the giant magnetic effect of the market in the Bay Area: the hippie culture which was born there and still raging, and the money that was always touching the lives of people who live in some of the most valuable real estate in the world.
The boys over the mountain down in Santa Cruz benefited from all that. They were in the center of the weed universe, and every corner of the planet was scoured for her flowering treasures and returned to that beautiful bosom of the Aquarian generation.

Dr. Purpur has a story of his visit to an exclusive cannabis house in SF run by none other than the Dennis Peron. He describes being admitted to the house by a doorman who confirmed he was OK (can't remember the details) walking through beaded curtains to a room with people sitting on pillows on the floor. The room was filled with baskets of buds from all over the world all there in one place, for sale as much as you wanted. This was his personal account. It's up here somewhere I think. Worth searching for.
His personal experience perfectly illustrates my point about the bay area back then.
My imagination may have added a bit of color and left out just as much, but he painted a great picture :)

Weed culture in the US could be completely different from one town to the next. Hell, even in a single town, some people might be smoking from red bud bales that came in on a small plane load of a 300 pounds. People a mile away might never know anything about it, and live a life never experiencing anything but bales of low grade seeded Mex.
It was literally that fragmented. Think of it as cells, and it was all about who you know. People kept shit very low key, Commercial was everywhere and anyone could get it, but getting into circles with the good stuff was not easy at all.

Every time I was lucky enough to get access to one of those special circles, I felt like the luckiest guy in the world. Weed thrust me into brushes with famous people several times. When I think about it, I still marvel at the luck I had. Not sure if luck is the right word. Maybe magic.

Anyway, just wanted to drop a bit time-capsuled experience on the speculation/assumptions there.
It was an amazing time to be alive, and I understand the fascination with it by people today, trying to imagine what it was like.
I wish we had time machines and we could all go back to visit it together.
It would be the best party ever.

Cheers !

LostTribe

Premium user
the plant is not maturing equally. tops are later than lower part. so I think that at 17 weeks tops of my cut are not so extremely matured, so I get both very matured buds from lower part and not so much matured from tops:D when I grow it big in greenhouse. she is octopuses and twice so big as nevilles haze or bandaid haze, for same sized cuts before flipping it into flowering.

This is fact. Same growth wise. The octopus one especially the 8 when cut is at varying lengths of maturity. The first calyxes to show are over ripe and near dead when the tips mature so it is very different process deciding when to harvest.

My thoughts are to let them go as long as they can without much degradation to the older growth.

LostTribe

Premium user
If you’re a commercial grower plants like that are useless , if you’re growing for your head plants like that are priceless…

Escaping through the lily fields, I came across an empty space
It trembled and exploded, left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began
There was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of the bus to never ever land

furthurbus.jpg

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Hi Maha.
Statements like that would only be made by somebody who doesn't really understand how HUGE the USA is, or they weren't old enough to be in the game when the period you are talking about went down here. Either that or they never really thought about the fact that their experience here back then was a tiny bubble in an ocean of bubbles.
It is just a massive incorrect generalization.
European countries are the size of American states, so it isn't surprising that this might not be obvious to someone not from the US. Of course, each city/state/region had it's own pipelines in the black market herb trade. Hell, a load could be brought in by one passionate adventurer that would never make it beyond a group of 50 or 100 people. And of course, individual weed lovers carried their best stuff with them when they traveled around, like dead shows, but on a micro scale. Seeds and quarter pounds came back to college campuses after christmas vacation every year, then spread around and traveled again, outward to the 4 corners of the country. Just one example of how things flowed and disappeared.
Basically, the "good stuff" was everywhere, all the time, and almost impossible to get (if that makes any sense.) Like catching lighting.

Even though it was MUCH easier to find commercial Mexican herb on the west coast of the US, and commercial Colombian dominated the east coast in the late 70s, it didn't mean that the obvious trade route bias wasn't crossed on a regular basis when there was demand and opportunity for profit.

Some places in the US are like magnets and attract the best black market goods to them from all over the world.
The SF Bay Area was one of those places, NYC of course. There are many others but I figure I had to list at least 2.

You can't discount the giant magnetic effect of the market in the Bay Area: the hippie culture which was born there and still raging, and the money that was always touching the lives of people who live in some of the most valuable real estate in the world.
The boys over the mountain down in Santa Cruz benefited from all that. They were in the center of the weed universe, and every corner of the planet was scoured for her flowering treasures and returned to that beautiful bosom of the Aquarian generation.

Dr. Purpur has a story of his visit to an exclusive cannabis house in SF run by none other than the Dennis Peron. He describes being admitted to the house by a doorman who confirmed he was OK (can't remember the details) walking through beaded curtains to a room with people sitting on pillows on the floor. The room was filled with baskets of buds from all over the world all there in one place, for sale as much as you wanted. This was his personal account. It's up here somewhere I think. Worth searching for.
His personal experience perfectly illustrates my point about the bay area back then.
My imagination may have added a bit of color and left out just as much, but he painted a great picture :)

Weed culture in the US could be completely different from one town to the next. Hell, even in a single town, some people might be smoking from red bud bales that came in on a small plane load of a 300 pounds. People a mile away might never know anything about it, and live a life never experiencing anything but bales of low grade seeded Mex.
It was literally that fragmented. Think of it as cells, and it was all about who you know. People kept shit very low key, Commercial was everywhere and anyone could get it, but getting into circles with the good stuff was not easy at all.

Every time I was lucky enough to get access to one of those special circles, I felt like the luckiest guy in the world. Weed thrust me into brushes with famous people several times. When I think about it, I still marvel at the luck I had. Not sure if luck is the right word. Maybe magic.

Anyway, just wanted to drop a bit time-capsuled experience on the speculation/assumptions there.
It was an amazing time to be alive, and I understand the fascination with it by people today, trying to imagine what it was like.
I wish we had time machines and we could all go back to visit it together.
It would be the best party ever.

Cheers !

I see your point, but my post, you quoted, was about genetics, not about weed culture. and that's why it was in one simple sentence - and in one sentence you cant avoid generalization, that's how language works, not so important in comparison of colombian gold vs. south asian genetics.

my intention was not to map the whole scene with every corner of it, or any historical accuracy like that.

in same manner we can discuss influence of indica, that somebody somewhere, in the spring of 1972, was growing some mazars, but main wave of indicas came in early 80s. it is generalization which doesn't count with marginal cases of growing indicas here and there. but it doesn't mean, it is not true that MAIN growing of indica hashplants started in early 80s... so I dont think that generalization that colombian gold was massively imported compared to rare import of Punto Rojo, or what people in Latin America called as Punto Rojo(as cartels can give punto rojo tag on any things they imported), is not true.

I just repeated information I read about colombian smoke in USA vs. mexican smoke in USA in article of new york times from late 70s where there are many smoke reports of the smoke from different people, what usual smokers say about it - again not so important if they were from east coast or middle west, in that article they were from different places, but not from all people ever, or maybe author thought it out to have some article -, and article from dj short about the herb of yesteryear and it was the same description of colombian gold smoke present there. which apparently resembles smoke reports of seedsman haze. and I referred to funkyhorse, who remembers punto rojo in latin America in 70s and 80s and according to him, not much of this herb got to USA, maybe some hints, by the way those guys from Latin America dont think USA had the best weed in that times, probably little shocking for you :D... so you totally missed my point, it was not about weed culture, but about what weed was imported there MAINLY, so much more about genetics present in Mexico and Colombian in that time, which was many kind of, and weed which they imported to USA MAINLY. not about every possible weed they could import. without any nostalgia in it. no grandpa nostalgia, please.

in this case, information from those people who worked in cartels and were growing weed for import to USA would have bigger historical value than information from american stoners. as colombian haze came for Colombia, right? but again that was not my intention for any detailed historical research.
and I have never claimed that.

so you grew seedsman, and you can compare it with toms haze if you grew it, that would be nice contribution to this thread. and then you can confirm or deny Tom Hills opinion on colombians vs. thais. if not, grow toms haze and came back with your opinion, I will read it with interest.

shit. now my morning tea is cold. thank you Raho :D

Last edited: