What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tom Hill Haze

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Narrow or wide leaves can be deceptive too! Sometimes when crossing unrelated sativas you will consistently get plants with narrower leaves than either parent! I've seen African sativas do that. I'm thinking about a certain Meao Thai x Angola cross. Neither parent was super lean looking but the cross had needle like leaves. Also hashplant x tropical crosses sometimes do this. I'm pretty sure I could "hide" Lebanese genes into a tropical sativa for example and get plants with super narrow leaves. The leaves mean very little, so does our indica-sativa stoner taxonomy.

I agree 100% :good:

LostTribe

Premium user
well man it is relative too. when I was kush and diesel smoker only. I smoked haze hybrids at weekend only. it seemed to me sativa enough, and energetic enough. but when I started to smoke tom hill haze regularly, even nevilles haze seems to me like indica LOL

so now when somebody says that c5 is energetic smoke, I look at it like... WHAT?!?---

it really depends on what you are used to...

so ripe mango pheno, sour mango or green mango pheno of THoHz dont seem to me energetic enough. now cedar pheno is the whole different story. very speedy.

acid pheno is energetic, but not speedy. it is all around different kind of weed from those other phenos... you will not hear about acid pheno from those colombian selections. it is just not trippy enough... but if you dont know acid pheno, it can seem to be trippy enough. for me those colombian selections are mildly trippy, like light mushroom tea. acid pheno kicks like real psychedelics.

Maha most here are not toking Ohaze selections on a regular basis, sucks to be them!!! hahaha!!! I agree with everything you have said. Original haze no matter which particular line varies a great amount with respect to nearly every aspect, growth, bud density, length of flowering, flavors and especially effects.

For me its all about the effects of the haze. Its not something typical kush/ghani smokers are able to comprehend. It takes a lot of work to get to the end result and even longer for the cure and most of them would not take great enough care in either growth phase or curing to get that proper haze experience.

I am actually grateful that I had such problems with the NH, A5 and Bandaid taking them even to 150 days flowering and ending in epic failure. It made me rethink everything I was doing. Now, I feel I am doing much better for the plants, understanding them more in many different ways. I also understand that I still have a great deal to learn, they are very strict teachers themselves the Haze and if you can grow them to near perfection I suspect that they will provide an even greater experience.

Off to trim the THH. I hate trimming.
LT

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
me still learning too :D and I am growing THoHz from 2009 :D

this another mix with THoHz, other components are oaxacan and bshw. we call it Surreal:

fetch

acespicoli

Good to hear that. Most people just seem to take it for granted that pure haze = clear and speedy. Haze can be dank though!

It's anyone's guess what's in the genetics of Ohaze but I find it suspicious we can't see it on Phylos although SamS almost definitely had it tested. Based on the antique Colombian samples there it would seem Colombian came about as a mix of African and then colonial Indian strains. The latter being similar to Manipur or Zamal, aka rainbowbud. Then when Thailand became the biggest player the green Thaisticks got mixed in. I don't know if there was also some hashplant (Lebanese?) influence through Panama red but I would expect that. Having grown many landraces sativas through the years nothing comes close to the dankness of a pure haze. I'm not really interested whether or not someone mixed in a bit of Kerala or Thai later on as I think those genes were already at the core of Colombian. Maybe not Kerala specifically but east Indian most definitely makes a big chunk of Haze.

I'd love to see pictures of Todd's haze or the Flying Dutchmen version. Aren't they both a bit on the fatter side? I think it's likely that Tom worked his line from a selection different to the one from Seedsman. I don't see them as the same variety.

im going to follow up on this with you on the TFD pics in the distant future
definitely some differences

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
:trampoline:

It sounds to me like I better get some Tom hill haze! Had seedsman cut for years would like something like that with more trip! acid pheno sounds like the holy grail. I remember Tom saying. It was like 1 in a 100.

yeah it is probability. reality can be different. you can get lucky and get it in 5 females, or unlucky and not find it in 100 females... but it is not so rare imo.

it is similar like with thai landraces. you need 50 females to find the keeper usually...

but remember that I dont grow it indoors at all...

for indoors I grow hybrids. and unfortunately if you cross acid haze, not every other pheno of progeny is acid... it doesn't work like that. unfortunately.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

I'd love to see pictures of Todd's haze or the Flying Dutchmen version. Aren't they both a bit on the fatter side? I think it's likely that Tom worked his line from a selection different to the one from Seedsman. I don't see them as the same variety.

Tom Hill states his line is thai dominant... or thai like if you want, sure it is not pure thai. same for seedsman it is colombian gold dominant, but not like pure colombian gold from the 70s...

it is still polyhybrid and it all depends on pheno you get and choose to use in selection.
I like red magenta pheno, I lost it unfortunately... there are yellowy red ones... rainbow ones, lime green ones, quite a lot of phenos in THoHz...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Tom Hill states his line is thai dominant... or thai like if you want, sure it is not pure thai. same for seedsman it is colombian gold dominant, but not like pure colombian gold from the 70s...

it is still polyhybrid and it all depends on pheno you get and choose to use in selection.
I like red magenta pheno, I lost it unfortunately... there are yellowy red ones... rainbow ones, lime green ones, quite a lot of phenos in THoHz...

I tend to take breeders claims of dominance by this or that variety with a grain of salt. That is unless they bred the whole thing by themselves. Otherwise they're making an educated guess.

I'm under the impression that Colombian Gold was born from the mixing of old Colombian with Thaistick to begin with. That's certainly what Phylos seems to imply. Massive influx of "Thai" throughout South America sometime after the 50's. Oldtimers Haze would seem to be pretty much pure Colombian Gold genetically. I doubt the red phenotypes that we know exist within the same strain would have been called "Gold" upon arriving to America, so the nomenclature is a mess.

I waiting for Ace to re-release their Chiang Mai Thai. Supposedly an oldschool pure Green Thai. Before I grow any of those I'm also just speculating what Thai influence looks like..

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I would say that phylos is big mess and absolutely unreliable. label like "colombian gold" talks about character of herb. and phylos has nothing to say about characteristics... there is clear difference between thai stick effect and colombian gold effect... it is clear. but it is unclear how phylos would be able to distinguish between effect of thai stick and effect of colombian gold, it is done by smokers.

dont understand. red lines were called red because they were red. they got mixed into haze, and there is phenotype of it, it doesn't mean it is red line... haze is big mix... just all the popular weed in Usa from late 60s to late 70s are mixed in.. first it was mexicans, later colombians were mixed and thai stick imported to Usa were mixed in too. Skunkman grabbed this mix and brought it into Holland, and some selections were done. thats all.

Tom Hill is not only one who says it is like thai. I know Australian grower who grew Tom Hill original haze, and he said it is almost identical to legendary aussi variety called Mango Heads sativa(thai weed)... :D so I would say, listen to real people and not to phylos LOL Tom Hill Haze has definitely south asian character, no doubt about it. phylos cant say anything about character. - these all was already said in this thread though....

little quote from guy who knows mango sativa very well:

smoked Mango heads from northern nsw in the early to mid nineties and it was amazing. I got some in Macksville as a teenager in the nineties and my best guess is that it was Thai or Vietnamese that come from Thai Buddha sticks or a returning war veteran. I remember getting a shopping bag full, buds still on branches with a sickly sweet mango smell and the smoke was soft and smooth but extremely powerful. Some branches had purple buds that smelt sweet strawberry bubblegum and a different taste all on the same branch that had Mango heads. There were a few seeds that had trade mark tiger stripes wish I could find it again!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
old timer haze, I grew it, it is for sure colombian. not colombian gold at all though... more corinthians, Llanos green and santa marta red mix..

like Tom Hill said, his line is different weed from anything else, including dutch hazes... which are colombian gold based imo... according to effect, not to phylos.

it is know fact that thai weed is absolutely different category than colombians....

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Sure, Colombian is a mix of so many things that it is it's own thing completely. Same for Haze. Old World varieties are the interesting ones because they're the "building blocks".

Even Thai seems to have green and purples so after hybridizing that genepool further there's no telling what's what. I keep trying though. One can never grow too many landraces. All I know is hazes are the better NLDs these days and that's what matters.

Happy midsummer all! See you on the other side

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I waiting for Ace to re-release their Chiang Mai Thai. Supposedly an oldschool pure Green Thai. Before I grow any of those I'm also just speculating what Thai influence looks like..

Hi my old friend. You may know well that line, it's Rahan's Thai from the Vibes Collective, he had that one and the Lowland Koh Samui Thai as well if you remember his old strain list. Huesos sent some to Dirtboy, he did a small repro years ago, shared some seeds and they ended in ACE's catalogue a short time later like happened with Lasko's Mauritius before. It's a pity no one credited or posted more info about the source.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Hola Musta! Thanks for the info --- I didn't know the back story. At least I was right about it being special. I do think Phylos works well enough for detecting hybrid/afghan influence and this one scores Zero. I went through a bunch of the Thais and this one stood out.

If I have any rolemodels in the cannabis world, Rahan is it. I don't even remember any other poster than him from the old overgrow site and might not even be growing landraces without his influence so all props to him and the others. :good:

LostTribe

Premium user
f13haze. haze dominant imo. you can see typical THoHz structure...

fetch

fetch

Looking like she wants to start braiding up her dreadlocks.

So, when I chopped the THH I forgot to label them. Now I don't know which of the remaining couple of cuts is which.

Thus far, THH appears to be extremely sativa leaning where as the Todd's really are starting to remind me of the NH f2's that Hempy is running. Todd's only other releases at the time were of NH crosses to "elite" cuttings and just the OHaze is pure whilst he had used NH male on the rest??? Highly suspect. But I did find a spectacular lady in there that has some very crazy sensations going on. Although, even that girl bulked up this last run from cuttings which really makes me question its heritage. Not that the trippy one is going anywhere but in muh pipes!

THH mostly grew extreme like landrace equatorial sativa. 2 did exhibit some girth but the other 2 were more like Grinspoon. I did mix the two lines to see how that would turn out but its a hard call so far. I do love both but the flavors in the Todd and the girth and resin really make me think they differ from the Tom Hill/Posi line.

I will try to get some finished pics up of both lines to compare visually. I will add that last run they were run identically, together at the same time.
LT

LostTribe

Premium user
yes, but with that difference it is more adaptive to indoor environment and also for northern latitude... very great work from Tom Hill. like landrace, but much easier to grow :D

I definitely agree on that it seems a bit easier to manage that some sats I've tried to run. I am going to have to look at all my posts and see if any pics are left where I can make out the labels to try and match up these 3 cuttings I have left. The one that looks like Macs and which was the 2nd most yielding one seems to have a lesser potency.

SativaScience

So, when I chopped the THH I forgot to label them. Now I don't know which of the remaining couple of cuts is which.

Thus far, THH appears to be extremely sativa leaning where as the Todd's really are starting to remind me of the NH f2's that Hempy is running. Todd's only other releases at the time were of NH crosses to "elite" cuttings and just the OHaze is pure whilst he had used NH male on the rest??? Highly suspect. But I did find a spectacular lady in there that has some very crazy sensations going on. Although, even that girl bulked up this last run from cuttings which really makes me question its heritage. Not that the trippy one is going anywhere but in muh pipes!

THH mostly grew extreme like landrace equatorial sativa. 2 did exhibit some girth but the other 2 were more like Grinspoon. I did mix the two lines to see how that would turn out but its a hard call so far. I do love both but the flavors in the Todd and the girth and resin really make me think they differ from the Tom Hill/Posi line.

I will try to get some finished pics up of both lines to compare visually. I will add that last run they were run identically, together at the same time.
LT

Hey Losttribe, From everything I have read Todd has a Nevils haze female that he pollinated with original haze to make what he calls ON Haze. That is what was used to make all his hybrids. Unless i read something wrong or missed something 😂😂 Wouldnt be the first time. Anyway i look forward to hearing and seeing what you get from his haze line as i got a few packs myself.

TheDarkStorm

LT

Mad mac has nevils haze f2 pictures in his gallery...ones made by nevil himself......also ojd has some using different f1 nevils haze parents to the version mac has those too made by nevil...there are multiple f2 versions of nevils haze nevil has made himself using different parents...

Tod never had a nevils haze....he just has something given to him by a friend...and he calls it nevils haze but thinks its nevils version of the old ssh...but its neither....tod really has no clue what he calls nevils haze and made hybrids with really is......ive seen plenty of 10 weekers from tods line that look alot like sams skunk haze..similar descriptions in scent and taste..so who knows exactly what he has an sells as ohz..probably skunk haze backcrossed into ohz then open pollinated back into ohz..but is certainly hasnt got the true nevils haze in it....