What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cultivating Zamaldelica and Jarilla de Sinaloa by the Danube

yoss33

Veteran
Hello all sativa fans!
I keep a few cuts of a great Zamaldelica plant (Zam#3 from this thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352693) and decided to make some seeds from it to see what comes up. Even if the results are not very good, I could back-cross to it until I get what I like.
picture.php

Last year I managed to pollinate the preflowers of 2 small clones indoor with a smelly unknown Ace Mix male to only produce what turns out to be 9 seeds. I started 3 of them (lets call them ZamAce) this season and they look and smell promising - thin leaves and sativa structure, and stem smells similar to the Zam mother's citric&not-citric tutti-frutti - in the 3 seedlings its again fruity but the sharp citric part is much softer.
picture.php

I also have 4 Jarilla de Sinaloa seeds left and decided to grow them for producing more seeds and then perhaps do a selection from these in the following seasons. I found the couple of Jarilla plants grown by me and a friend to have the most authentic old-school mexican high from what I've grown and smoked. The potency was low (compared to modern standards) but the line seems to not have been selected at least for a few generations (from what I could understand from the user Sinaloa - the Mexican farmer himself that has kept and brought the line to the public), so maybe with some selection potency can be increased? We'll see...
picture.php

I also plan to pollinate the Zam mother with Jarilla pollen and explore this pure-sativa combination. Zam's potency and Jarilla's clean effect and flavour could mix well.

SolarLogos

Great plants and nice choice of sativa's. Pray for a bountiful harvest! I'm subbed.
Peace, God bless

yoss33

Veteran
The lankiest of the 3 ZamAces:
picture.php

The shortest of the 3 turned out male, which not only started with 3 blades per leave and quickly went up to 11 in the same small cup, but also showed preflowers as soon as the 3rd node. In general all 3 plants share the mother's quick and profuse preflowering. Showing definite sex early can be so convenient.

The 2 females were transplanted outdoors and will be grown in the bushes, perhaps without much care, just to be able to harvest something and check their flowering period and high.

The male has a very attractive version of the tutti-frutti stem smell - with predominant unmistakable sour (morello)cherry. I'm curious what flowering smell this will transform into! Never smelled cherry neither on buds nor stems, only remember reading about cherry phenos of hybrids like AK47.

YukonKronic

So weird. Just read through your thread on Zam 3 by the Danube and when I return to forum menu there’s this thread! I’m subbed.
I’ve been working ZamxGuatemala so your Mexican cross is interesting to me.

Guatemalan tamed structure contributed strawberry and sour Terps and made the high more goofy and less scary while still maintaining “the weird”. I also found the hybrids eat better and have a little bigger heavier buds.

Good luck!

G

Good luck yoss! I've also had zam males start with 5 tip leaves...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Yoss,

Subbed and looking forward to how this year's grow develops. I'm also curious how the extended cure is affecting the Zam #3 high, if any.

B.T.W., I put a Zamaldelica in the ground hoping for a harvest before the fall frost. Your bravery is inspiring, and helped me to harvest some very high quality bud that was harvested sometime just before mid November. I lost about 2/3 of the buds to a hard freeze, but the 1/3 I harvested was hands down the best bud from last year.

Best of luck this year my friend!
:tiphat:
ThaiBliss

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks, guys!

Hey, ThaiBliss, hope this will not disappoint, but the Zam is getting more "normal" in effect with curing. It's not so devastating and mind twisting as it was in the beginning, still very potent weed though. I remember experiencing the same with Panama Haze when it was devastating in a very potent dreamy way in the beginning, and became more clean and speedy after a year of curing.
And it's not that I'm getting used to the effect, because close friends of mine that are occasional smokers and have smoked Zam after harvest, and recently, also comment that it's not so "strong and strange" (described simply) now.
As to what exactly is the effect now, I find it hard to define, because it's quite different and unpredictable every time. Sometimes it's stimulating and exciting with possible flashes of maniac crazy feel, other times it's "dense" and introvert, even smoking from the same bud on different occasions, many times it's just a bit more powerful mental (thinking) sativa. It continues to surprise how high can you get from one hit from the pipe in the evening despite of smoking the whole day before that. I expect the first smoke session to be the strongest, but not here - the first smoke in the morning is usually on the energetic and motivating side, and as the day progresses, the high becomes heavier and more devastating, still from the same quantity. Something like reverse tolerance.
I find it very nice to smoke when I'm physically tired, like during and after working in the garden, it alleviates all heaviness. But is not so good when I'm mentally tired, like from problems at work, then its effect is unpleasant. Panama Haze is much much nicer in such cases.
And here's a recent photo of Zam#3, getting ready to receive pollen from ZamAce#3, I like how thin the leaves become at flowering, similar to the photos I've seen of its mother - the Gerrit's Zamal cut:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
ZamAce#2 (left) and #1 (right):
picture.php

ZamAce#2:
picture.php

These are quickly getting too big (although topped once), I really don't need them so big, so they'll soon be trimmed seriously...

The last photo of ZamAce#3 male, which already dropped its pollen which was used on a Zam#3 clone. I forgot to take a photo of it while flowering..
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The Jarillas turned to be quite unstable sexually. I intentionally didn't pamper them too much, they were left to dry on a few occasions, were not fed well, were too pressed between my tomatoe seedlings, tops overgrowing the lights, etc., so that I could select only plants more resistant to stress... well, Jarilla#1 first showed male pre-flowers and started flowering as a male, then went full hermie and was sacked; Jarilla#3 first showed female pre-flowers and started flowering as a female, but went full hermie and was killed too; Jarilla#2 is flowering as a male though with a few pistils protruding here and there, and is kept; Jarilla#4 is the only one to not show any hermie traits, is flowering as a complete female, and was yesterday pollinated (together with a Zam#3 clone) with pollen from Jarilla#2.

Jarilla#2 male:
picture.php

Jarilla#4 female:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
A bit more recent photos...
Jarilla#2:
picture.php

Jarilla#4 female:
picture.php

I'm happy with these plants because they are among the 3-4 most "sativa" looking from the pack.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi yoss,

It's always a pleasure to come in here in spring to find a new thread of yours with your new growing adventures, it's much appreciated :)

Really happy to see you that you managed to save a clone of your favorite Zamaldelica from last year and that you already crossed her with an ACE Mix male.
Glad to see the cross is showing desirable sativa traits, leaning towards Zamaldelica terpene profile.

My bet is that the male from the ACE Mix was an Orient Express, hopefully we can learn more once we can see more traits of the cross, especially in flowering stage.
Nice to see you are already working on the backcross ;)

Wish you a great success this year like in previous seasons!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi sir :tiphat:

Glad to hear your Zamaldelica from last year produced the best sativa smoke from the season despite the freeze and being grown in a northern latitude. :)

B.T.W., I put a Zamaldelica in the ground hoping for a harvest before the fall frost. Your bravery is inspiring, and helped me to harvest some very high quality bud that was harvested sometime just before mid November. I lost about 2/3 of the buds to a hard freeze, but the 1/3 I harvested was hands down the best bud from last year.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi sir :tiphat:

Glad to hear your Zamaldelica from last year produced the best sativa smoke from the season despite the freeze and being grown in a northern latitude. :)
Sorry. I wasn't very clear in my writing. Last year's late flowering plant was a Kali Mist cross. Inspiration from Yoss convinced me to try to grow it big. This year's risky Yoss inspired big plant IS Zamaldelica.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hey, ThaiBliss, hope this will not disappoint, but the Zam is getting more "normal" in effect with curing. It's not so devastating and mind twisting as it was in the beginning, still very potent weed though... became more clean and speedy after a year of curing...
It's not really disappointing that it is still potent but more clean and speedy. I like it like that. Some phenos of Bangi Haze reminded me of how clean and clear a good high can get. I yearn for it.

Thanks for the honesty.

...the effect now, I find it hard to define, because it's quite different and unpredictable every time... It continues to surprise how high can you get from one hit from the pipe ...Something like reverse tolerance... I find it very nice to smoke when I'm physically tired, like during and after working in the garden, it alleviates all heaviness. But is not so good when I'm mentally tired, like from problems at work, then its effect is unpleasant...
These properties all point to what I define as trippy weed. I wonder about how it might have been pushing the ripeness even further. It seems the effect at harvest, might not fully foreshadow the effect 6+ months later. Maybe more various tests this year. I hope I'm lucky enough to contribute to these tests. Hehe!

ThaiBliss

yoss33

Veteran
After 6 months of cure, I still find the earlier-harvested Zam#3 to have a better high than the later harvest. And within the earlier harvest, I like the most the top buds that seem more immature - they are truly stimulating, with that great Zamaldelica edgy rush that's intense-yet-clear and doesn't bring paranoia or heart problems. The more mature buds (that received more sunlight) have a heavier introvert (not active and motivating) effect, and the later harvest (11 days later) has a calmer effect that is too calm for what I expect from an African strain. Now, the later harvest contained only lower branches, no big top buds, that perhaps would have been stronger in effect, but still the added "calmness" (anti-psychotic and anti-edge) is noticeable.
I'd dare to say Zam#3 would be even better if harvested a few days earlier than the 3rd of November when I harvested. Even though the plant and buds looked like they have more way to go.

yoss33

Veteran
A few photos of ZamAce #1 & #2 before they were cut and left with only the lowest most undeveloped branches. Looking at how vigorous they grow, I guess I'll have to cut them back at least one more time.
ZamAce #2 (the paler one with thinner leaves) has its stem smell very similar to the (supposedly) Thai plant I grew in 2015 - a soft flowery/fruity smell with some menthol/eucalyptus hints. ZamAce #1 at first had its stem smelling somewhat like Orient Express (more musky and organic solvents), especially the first time I sniffed after Dubi said the Ace Mix male was most probably Orient Express, hehe, but now its smell headed in the #2 way.
picture.php

#2:
picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
I'm already trying to sprout some fresh (slightly green) Zam x ZamAce seeds, but so far they don't want to sprout, I'll try to winterise (keep them in the fridge for a few days) and try again.
After a week I'll have fresh Zam x Jarilla seeds, that perhaps will need a week of winterising too, but anyways, I think they'll too fit into this season for a test.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Yoss,

I was wondering if you could post some pictures of the wild hemp from your area. I'm growing some Baglung Nepali, but it is flowering so early, it started a few weeks ago, that I suspect it has hemp in it. It would be interesting to see what the wild hemp looks like. Is it flowering already in your area? Does it have red/purple colors?

Thanks,

ThaiBliss

yoss33

Veteran
Hemp has already started flowering here. I'll try to take new photos next week, till then here are a few from 2 years ago:

The hemp we have here rarely has red colors in leaves or stems. It's green and apart from that it can vary in size and structure, most are lanky but some individuals are short and sturdy.

Latest posts

Latest posts