What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi x Panama

BadRabbit

Mal Pan fems - 8 days into flowering - 4 largest/fastest were topped - clones cut from all and we're on our way.

I'll be able to move them to the big room in about a week. Handsome plants, the crappy lighting doesn't do them justice.

Mal-Pan-1-wk.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Tekvitamik

We are finally at the beginning ... Germinated on Tuesday, and tomorrow they will pass into pots. the only problem is the slightly low temperatures in the room, but I think I'll be able to control it without problems. My idea is to put 9 11-liter jars in a 1.2x1.2 box. on the site description they recommend switching to flowering after 15 days from seed, but honestly it seems a bit too early. what do you recommend?

Attachments

• photo2025772.jpg
    photo2025772.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 33

BadRabbit

There's a grower who posted earlier in this thread that flowered his MalPan from germination/sprout and the plants looked lovely.

Certainly will help control height, but I'm always concerned if I'll have enough branchiness to grab nice clone cuts ... probably could work, but I vegged out to 3 weeks just to make sure.

Tekvitamik

well to me it seems too few 15 days, I'll see if I can double the veg period, also based on the growth they will have. I'll just have to calculate the total time well, because I'm already three weeks behind my schedule, and I should be able to finish it by the end of June. as stated by ACE I shouldn't have any problems since in 12 weeks from flowering they should be ready for harvest ... we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes in a few days ... thanks 😉

Tekvitamik

hello everyone ... the little ones were born😃 they all sprouted apart from one, I just don't understand a thing. two seedlings have grown in a pot ... things are two or the guys from Ace put 11 seeds instead of 10, and I accidentally planted two in a pot, or two plants grew from one seed ... is this possible? and how do you think I should behave, do I leave them like this or do I have to remove one immediately ?!

Attachments

• photo2027566.jpg
    photo2027566.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 33
They all finished at 11 weeks. Had many branches that, when I removed the scrog net, fell over and broke their stems from the weight. Started getting a lemon candy smell from them and they are very sticky/oily.

This was fun and challenging for my first sativa grow and let me show off some great genetics.

Did you build your strip fixture? Just was wondering the wattage of your driver and what strips you decide to go with. Lookin' great.

El Timbo

hello everyone ... the little ones were born😃 they all sprouted apart from one, I just don't understand a thing. two seedlings have grown in a pot ... things are two or the guys from Ace put 11 seeds instead of 10, and I accidentally planted two in a pot, or two plants grew from one seed ... is this possible? and how do you think I should behave, do I leave them like this or do I have to remove one immediately ?!

When you say "apart from one" do you have the seed that hasn't sprouted? It's not unusual to get an extra seed in a pack. I would try to gently separate the 2 seedlings and put one in the empty pot you have.

Common Sense

If you can carefully separate them without damaging the roots, I would also put one in its own pot. If they are too close together, just leave them.
Also, depending on your head room, I think 4 weeks of veg time would be too long for 8 or 9 plants of that cross on that surface area. From my experience with Honduras x Panama, which should be similar, these will be very vigorous plants and you would have to do a lot of pruning to keep the jungle under control. In the end, you might be cutting away the biomass that was generated during the extra veg time. Especially, since you put them in their final containers right away (which I think is good). I am pretty sure they will fill out your tent completely after only two weeks of veg time. They might not look like that after two weeks, but you'll see.

Tekvitamik

When you say "apart from one" do you have the seed that hasn't sprouted? It's not unusual to get an extra seed in a pack. I would try to gently separate the 2 seedlings and put one in the empty pot you have.

yes, I have a non-sprouted seed left. it's just that they are really close and I wouldn't be doing harm to either of them. also because then one would have been discarded anyway, 10 pots in the box do not fit me.

Tekvitamik

If you can carefully separate them without damaging the roots, I would also put one in its own pot. If they are too close together, just leave them.
Also, depending on your head room, I think 4 weeks of veg time would be too long for 8 or 9 plants of that cross on that surface area. From my experience with Honduras x Panama, which should be similar, these will be very vigorous plants and you would have to do a lot of pruning to keep the jungle under control. In the end, you might be cutting away the biomass that was generated during the extra veg time. Especially, since you put them in their final containers right away (which I think is good). I am pretty sure they will fill out your tent completely after only two weeks of veg time. They might not look like that after two weeks, but you'll see.

but won't they compete with each other and create problems at the roots if I leave them both? however, if you tell me that for your experience 4 weeks are too many and that I would have space problems, I will listen to your advice and try to pass it a little earlier ... I would not want to have to fight with a real jungle

BadRabbit

but won't they compete with each other and create problems at the roots if I leave them both? however, if you tell me that for your experience 4 weeks are too many and that I would have space problems, I will listen to your advice and try to pass it a little earlier ... I would not want to have to fight with a real jungle

They are "twins" born of the same seed ... unusual, but not that rare. I've had them several times. Yes, having two together will limit them as you suspect. I think culling the smaller of the two is usually fine. You can repot the little one, but IME, the runt of the two is rarely worth the effort.

G

I don't know if this is legit info ,but I have read somewhere that in case of twin seedlings,if you get one female and one male (talking bout reg crosses) the female should be exact genetic copy of the mother,but I would like to know if this is true...

BadRabbit

I don't know if this is legit info ,but I have read somewhere that in case of twin seedlings,if you get one female and one male (talking bout reg crosses) the female should be exact genetic copy of the mother,but I would like to know if this is true...

Perhaps it's analagous to human genetics in that twins can be fraternal or identical; I am guessing only though.

Tekvitamik

hello ... everything seems to be going well. the little ones have 15 days, and I'm feeding them with water at PH 6.4 and the first week 4ml / L of rooting. the only problem I have is with the temperatures with the lamp off (they are around 14 degrees), I hope this does not cause me problems, but in theory the temperatures outside will rise from next week so I should recover something. now my doubt always remains when to send them to bloom. I was almost tempted to start Sunday, but they still seem small to me, what do you think? I remember that I grow in 1.2x1.2😅 thanks

Attachments

• photo2032281.jpg
    photo2032281.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 33

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi El Timbo,

Those dizzy strong effects can come from Malawi and strong Malawi hybrids like this one. It's probably too potent for users not used to such strong sativa trips, but hardcore sativa smokers love the terpenes, potency, deepneess, and long lasting effects of Malawi x Panama, glad to know you are going to miss yours!

I've lost mine (but I still have around 180g of fine buds) - apart from all the very positive effects it has it also has one negative one - it sometimes induces travel sickness. It has happened to me once on a train and once in a car.

The other day after vaping it with a friend I was talking to her about this effect - that set her off! She felt nauseous for a few moments but soon recovered.

All in all though I love it and will miss it when my jars are empty.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Tekvitamik, glad to hear you have had almost perfect germination rate with your Malawi x Panama regular seeds :yes:

To have twins from a single seed is rare but not impossible. My experience with twins is that they grow differently, usually one is much more vigorous and the other stays somewhat like a runt. My guess is both are not genetically identical, although only genetic analyses will be able to confirm it.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Glad to see yours are already in flowering @CannaRed and BadRabbit :wave:

Best wishes for the flowering stage! Please, keep us updated.

I'll try to grab some pics this week. I have one pheno that has wide fat denser buds. The other has much more internodal space, and it looks like she will take a couple weeks longer to finish than the other.
I noticed that the tops that are closer to the center under the 315 are foxtailing more so than the branches on the sides.
I have another strain in the tent that will finish soon and then I can bend over or tie down the branches close to the light.
I'm not good at deciphering aromas and then describing them. But so far, in my opinion, I'm smelling apple peel, some version of lemon, and then a little cat pissy on the end.
these two plants are extremely resiny. My arm brushed against the longer blooming sister while trying to tie her down. Very greasy resin coated my arm and hairs.
​​​​​
​​​​

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
2 different malpans

Attachments

• photo2035489.jpg
    photo2035489.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 89
  • photo2035498.jpg
    photo2035498.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 98