Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ace Malawi and Cycloptics Greenbeams: caught in the Under Current!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, that's what I meant!

Comment

Thanks timmur … can't wait to see the setup

Comment

So just wanted to elaborate on mounting things to the walls and ceilings of this room. The recommendation is to bolt through the entire wall panel when mounting moderately heavy items. This is not feasible in my situation so I had to come up with an alternative. I chose Plusnuts. They are deigned for precisely this situation.

The lights and fans will be mounted using these and number #8 screws. They are going to be a bit of a pain as they require a hole to be drilled for each one. Not a huge deal, but it will be a little time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by timmur View Post
          So just wanted to elaborate on mounting things to the walls and ceilings of this room. The recommendation is to bolt through the entire wall panel when mounting moderately heavy items. This is not feasible in my situation so I had to come up with an alternative. I chose Plusnuts. They are deigned for precisely this situation.

View Image

The lights and fans will be mounted using these and number #8 screws. They are going to be a bit of a pain as they require a hole to be drilled for each one. Not a huge deal, but it will be a little time consuming.
          Looks like it accepts a bolt/all-thread. Where does the #8 screw come into it? How does it attach to the ceiling/walls? I'd use unitstrut to hang all those lights. The brackets on the luminaire's are designed for unistrut.
          Originally posted by frostqueen

I reserve the right to be wrong, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Ez Rider View Post
            Looks like it accepts a bolt/all-thread. Where does the #8 screw come into it? How does it attach to the ceiling/walls? I'd use unitstrut to hang all those lights. The brackets on the luminaire's are designed for unistrut.
            It works like a rivet. You have to drill a hole and then use a tool to install. When its finished a #8 screw will fit in the threads. My thought was to use #8 screws with washers to mount the bracket directly to the ceiling. I was trying to avoid the unistrut as it adds a couple of inches and I was trying to preserve every inch. Do you see an issue with that?

Comment

Hey timmur

I suppose it really depends on whether you think you'll need the strength of one or two steel sheets - the in-between insulation isn't going to provide much strength. I understand not wanting to go through the whole panel though. Is it possible to drill at the panel joints … they should be the strongest areas - just a suggestion … i'm not a builder.

I hope this is okay to mention timmur … it is a bit off topic … but have noticed that both you and Ez help each other out a fair bit … also I can't pm ...

I remember reading Ez's thread about his GB setup and not being able to add carbon dioxide as he lived close to the grow area … a while ago I bought a cheap co2 meter to test how much co2 one person gives off and the viability of ducting the air into the tent from a living area or bedroom … it was a huge amount and very close to the recommended 1500-2000 ppm. Perhaps living so close to the plants might be spreading the love indirectly … and cheaply. More money for GB lights. If interested … I bought if from:
              http://www.zyaura.com/products/zg106.asp

Again … sorry for the off topic nature … just want to contribute a little, as you guys have both helped me greatly.

Comment

It works like a rivet. You have to drill a hole and then use a tool to install. When its finished a #8 screw will fit in the threads. My thought was to use #8 screws with washers to mount the bracket directly to the ceiling. I was trying to avoid the unistrut as it adds a couple of inches and I was trying to preserve every inch. Do you see an issue with that?
                I get it. The tube receives the #8, and the plate is a backing plate, that sits on the roof...correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Ez Rider View Post
                  I get it. The tube receives the #8, and the plate is a backing plate, that sits on the roof...correct?
                  Almost, but not quite. The plate in the picture represents the thin metal skin that is the front surface of the wall panel. Check out the pic below. The thin sheet metal and the expanded plusnut are shown on the blind side of the panel where the foam insulation is. Hopefully that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by pug1010 View Post
                    Hey timmur

I suppose it really depends on whether you think you'll need the strength of one or two steel sheets - the in-between insulation isn't going to provide much strength. I understand not wanting to go through the whole panel though. Is it possible to drill at the panel joints … they should be the strongest areas - just a suggestion … i'm not a builder.

I hope this is okay to mention timmur … it is a bit off topic … but have noticed that both you and Ez help each other out a fair bit … also I can't pm ...

I remember reading Ez's thread about his GB setup and not being able to add carbon dioxide as he lived close to the grow area … a while ago I bought a cheap co2 meter to test how much co2 one person gives off and the viability of ducting the air into the tent from a living area or bedroom … it was a huge amount and very close to the recommended 1500-2000 ppm. Perhaps living so close to the plants might be spreading the love indirectly … and cheaply. More money for GB lights. If interested … I bought if from:
                    http://www.zyaura.com/products/zg106.asp

Again … sorry for the off topic nature … just want to contribute a little, as you guys have both helped me greatly.
                    No worries on the off topic - I know the originator of the post and I can smooth things over, lol!

It's not a matter of not wanting to go completely through the panels, which BTW I don't, but really because I have no access to the backside of the panels.

I really like your idea of using natural sources of CO2. It certainly could be helping EZ out! nice CO2 monitor BTW!

Comment

Thanks timmur

The plusnuts look good - like you said before ... same principle as a rivet, but looks stronger. Looking at your project planning ... I'm pretty sure that you've checked the loads on the nuts and also the steel in the ceiling panel.

I'm a liitle confused about the use of a screw or a bolt. It looks like the inside of the exposed part of the plusnuts has a thread, which you could screw a threaded bolt into. Does plusnut also sell a bolt or screw to fit into the nut or do they have recommendations - it would be great if they had tested a range and know which ones work best with their system?

In any case ... the above is just micro stuff ...the rivnuts will be a nice clean install. Really looking forward to seeing the lights hung - I like the look of the GBs and reckon you have designed a very functional and beautiful grow environment, that should put a smile on your dial everytime you enter it .... nice.

Comment

Originally posted by pug1010 View Post
                        Thanks timmur

The plusnuts look good - like you said before ... same principle as a rivet, but looks stronger. Looking at your project planning ... I'm pretty sure that you've checked the loads on the nuts and also the steel in the ceiling panel.

I'm a liitle confused about the use of a screw or a bolt. It looks like the inside of the exposed part of the plusnuts has a thread, which you could screw a threaded bolt into. Does plusnut also sell a bolt or screw to fit into the nut or do they have recommendations - it would be great if they had tested a range and know which ones work best with their system?

In any case ... the above is just micro stuff ...the rivnuts will be a nice clean install. Really looking forward to seeing the lights hung - I like the look of the GBs and reckon you have designed a very functional and beautiful grow environment, that should put a smile on your dial everytime you enter it .... nice.
                        The plusnut takes an 8-32 screw and it can hold a lot.

Comment

Hey Bro....Gotta admire someone that makes the time , investment , and extra effort it really takes ta do something right the first time....now....IME....

A ton and 1/2 mini-split borders on insufficient with all the guaranteed heatgain from 12 light fixtures and commercial dehuey once employed in late flower , although hopefully will be enough until you can upgrade down the road as budget permits , and I strongly suggest it....

Rule of thumb on bare bulbs has always been 4000 btu`s of heat to be removed from each bulb in the grow area , and with horizontal fixtures in sealed rooms , the needs up themselves to 5 and almost 6000 btu`s of A/C need per 1 KW depending if propane/natural gas CO2 generators are used on top of all the other heatgain sources , but I digress.....and really....I`m just tryin ta help...

Setup is to drool over my buddy , believe me I`m not easily impressed.....now....plusnuts. ..

Not sure how much 12 light fixtures and ballasts weigh , but hopefully the ceiling panels are ribbed internally for vertical support/shear , and I`m sure you`ve researched how much dead weight/shear the panels will hold on the inside without being "thru-bolted" and secured on the top side....

I found a sweet spot of 69 degrees with my big ass rez`s and aqua-logic drop in probe chillers back in the day with my Krusty "SWC" buckets , cuz as much as RDWC setups contradict it , roots like warmth for explosive growth , and it`s pretty much evident from the results of the seasoned PPK`ers in the last few yrs , but that`s another thread....you know.....

I`m really not qualified to consult on this new DE technology with Umols , Par , and all that other scientific shit I never knew about.....but....

My old ass got by with 34 watts per sq ft with big plants over a decade , and another decade + with 50 watts for more dense and improved taste/overall quality , but no yield increase per se...that said.....

To be honest , I just got lucky growing inside cuz I found Krusty and Heath Robinson back in the day and did what I was told , and it worked....why ?...

I was fortunate enough or cursed whichever way you choose to view it as being brought up in the asshole of the dirty south /gulf coast region where RH stays 80-90% yr round , so when Krusty preached 70% RH till end of cycle , I had no problem.....

Plant growth exploded exponentially , and almost from the first -3rd grow , 2 1/2 lb`ers came consistently from doin my homework and following the rules....and never changed....anyways....

I`m in awe of your crib Bro....get ta work and dial that bitch in....you can do it....learnin`s in the doin....runs under yer belt ....that`s wassup....

Would`ve never seen it without the pm cuz I mostly come here for pm`s from old friends....regardless...

Holler if I can help.....and....

Peace.....DHF.........
                          Knowledge is power.....Adapt or perish....

Comment

Did the weekend see any progress?

Comment

Some. The mini split is installed, the ballasts are mounted, and the sub panel is wired up. Lights will go up on Thursday or Friday. Hopefully finish by the weekend. Not real happy with the slow progress.

Comment

Some. The mini split is installed, the ballasts are mounted, and the sub panel is wired up. Lights will go up on Thursday or Friday. Hopefully finish by the weekend. Not real happy with the slow progress.
                                Sounds like you're getting there. My setup is quite a bit smaller/simpler and it still took me a solid week of 8-10hr days to get everything set up an installed, and I'm reasonably competent in these matters. That was all the downtime I could afford though. Considering the amount of capital you've already invested, and the complexity of the setup, it's probably better to take your time, and be sure it's all set up properly. I'm just hoping it's up and running soon. Good luck to you

Comment

Working...
                                X