What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tikal

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
That harvested bud looks delicious :yummy: MountainKush

The old NL/Haze strongly dominant Tikal phenos didn't produce the more signature Tikal strawberry or peach terpenes in the finished product, but had the louder incense smell and also the higher yields among all Tikal phenos. How is the incense level of your Tikal ?

I think it will be interesting to check the outcome of your Tikal x Zamal/Panama seeds, coming from nanners they will produce mostly feminized seeds but some may have the the same tendencies to prdouce nanners in late flowering like the pollen donor did.

Mountainkush

That harvested bud looks delicious :yummy: MountainKush

The old NL/Haze strongly dominant Tikal phenos didn't produce the more signature Tikal strawberry or peach terpenes in the finished product, but had the louder incense smell and also the higher yields among all Tikal phenos. How is the incense level of your Tikal ?

I think it will be interesting to check the outcome of your Tikal x Zamal/Panama seeds, coming from nanners they will produce mostly feminized seeds but some may have the the same tendencies to prdouce nanners in late flowering like the pollen donor did.

Not too sure on the incense, it’s not a scent I’m familiar with. Maybe that’s what the first one smells like. It’s some Pretty strange smelling weed and it’s so unique I can’t even find a way to describe it.

This new one just has a light sweet fruity scent and taste in my vaporizer. Really tasty stuff.
Haven’t had a chance to smoke any yet.

Thanks Dubi, I’ll definitely pop a couple and see what they look like. I love both the parents so can’t hurt to try them.

Mountainkush

21 weeks on a clone!? That’s definitely wild but she sure is a beauty. Your really doing a great job on some of these strains lately. Great work man :biggrin:

Thanks, I really appreciate it OZZ. I almost gave up on this last grow around 8 weeks in because I couldn’t get thing working right after changing my lights. Glad I kept going though because all of them have been absolutely amazing even after being stressed so much by me.

Koondense

Veteran
I had a Tikal for first time this winter, must say i was not impressed with her growth, reminded me quite a lot my A5s1 which i also didn't like when growing.
The flowering was far from perfect(low temperatures all cycle) but the outcome is great. Not the highest yield but the Tikal is reminding me a lot of A5 also when smoking. The smell is mainly a mix of sweet floral scent, incense and peach, resembles a lot the official descroption. The effect is similar to A5 but a bit kinder, more friendly.
She's like the sweeter version of A5 with added some tropical vibe, i like it a lot. Like the nicer younger sister, you know what i mean ;)

Cheers

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad to hear it Koondense :) your comments are very relevant to this conversation.

The more i learn about the Haze hybrids from Nevil and his Haze A and C males, the more i understand that the loud incense smell in his Haze hybrids comes from A male, while C male produces more Thai lemony offspring without incense.

The NL Haze seeds used in early Tikal breeding came from a friend who used to study in Holland 20 years ago, she saved seeds she found from her favorite Haze smoke in the coffee shop she used to visit, most probably those seeds were a NL5 x Haze A hybrid of some sort, we grew the seeds, all came out females, we selected our favorite NLxHaze female and pollinated her with pure Guatemala male.

This first outcross and very first Tikal version already produced the strawberry (not directly found neither in pure Guatemala or NL Haze females) terpenes along with the incense from Haze. This first Tikal version was backcrossed then again to pure Guatemala, and the backcross was inbred and selected mainly towards strawberry incense phenos in those earlt Tikal generations.

The peach incense phenos in Tikal were found later around F4 generations iirc, and was a product of the recombination of the genetics more than something intentional, then the peach Tikal phenos were selected and inbred in latest generations.

There are indeed similarities between A5 Haze clone and some Tikal phenos regarding growing traits and same type of incense smell, but Tikal is usually much fruitier (A5 Haze is not fruity) and as you correctly pointed out Tikal effects are much more kinder, uplifting and clean, overall much more sativa than A5 Haze, although A5 Haze raw potency is stronger, with a much more intoxicating hybrid effect.

Koondense

Veteran
Excellent infos Dubi,

I always like to read stories of how some varieties were made. A trip by itself :)

Have a great spring!

p. s.

I heard some inside infos about the haze project and i'm very excited to hear more, when the time will come. All the best!

Cheers

OZZ_

Veteran
Glad to hear it Koondense :) your comments are very relevant to this conversation.

The more i learn about the Haze hybrids from Nevil and his Haze A and C males, the more i understand that the loud incense smell in his Haze hybrids comes from A male, while C male produces more Thai lemony offspring without incense.

The NL Haze seeds used in early Tikal breeding came from a friend who used to study in Holland 20 years ago, she saved seeds she found from her favorite Haze smoke in the coffee shop she used to visit, most probably those seeds were a NL5 x Haze A hybrid of some sort, we grew the seeds, all came out females, we selected our favorite NLxHaze female and pollinated her with pure Guatemala male.

This first outcross and very first Tikal version already produced the strawberry (not directly found neither in pure Guatemala or NL Haze females) terpenes along with the incense from Haze. This first Tikal version was backcrossed then again to pure Guatemala, and the backcross was inbred and selected mainly towards strawberry incense phenos in those earlt Tikal generations.

The peach incense phenos in Tikal were found later around F4 generations iirc, and was a product of the recombination of the genetics more than something intentional, then the peach Tikal phenos were selected and inbred in latest generations.

There are indeed similarities between A5 Haze clone and some Tikal phenos regarding growing traits and same type of incense smell, but Tikal is usually much fruitier (A5 Haze is not fruity) and as you correctly pointed out Tikal effects are much more kinder, uplifting and clean, overall much more sativa than A5 Haze, although A5 Haze raw potency is stronger, with a much more intoxicating hybrid effect.

Awesome rundown of the lineage Dubi. Very informative, thanks for offering the information!

Humple W.

Dammit, every time I visit this thread I start to question my upcoming grow schedule. I have Tikal on order (along with some Thai Chi!), and it should be here before any of my tents are ready for new plants, so I could run it next, but... I was planning to finally pop some of the Killer A5 Haze I've been itching to grow. Too many choices, not enough space!

I have this same problem when I visit the Thai Chi thread. Gets me all excited. I guess that's not the worst problem to have though!

OZZ_

Veteran
Dammit, every time I visit this thread I start to question my upcoming grow schedule. I have Tikal on order (along with some Thai Chi!), and it should be here before any of my tents are ready for new plants, so I could run it next, but... I was planning to finally pop some of the Killer A5 Haze I've been itching to grow. Too many choices, not enough space!

I have this same problem when I visit the Thai Chi thread. Gets me all excited. I guess that's not the worst problem to have though!

:biglaugh:

I hear you there! I think we all probably have this same problem

Hello all.
I'm strapped for cash so I cannot collect all my favorites from ACE.
For anyone that has ran both, would you choose Tikal or Guawi?

Koondense

Veteran
I tried only Tikal so would choose Guawi, it should be more vigorous, potent and higher yielding, i assume. Tikal is a good smoke, very kind and good for a mix of activation and relax. A good allaround choice, smells peachy and incensy with some flowers on top.

Cheers

Humple W.

Okay, my Tikal and Thai Chi came in a week or two ago, and two days ago I finally made up my mind and decided to start with two Tikal (leaving the Thai Chi for a later time, as I already have KA5H headed for another tent, and I just don't have the space to grow everything!)...

I would love to hear some opinions/tips/experiences on feeding her? At present I only have a 1-part nutrient on hand (Mega Crop v3), and though it has performed well with most hybrid/indica-dominant strains I've grown (it's a million times better than their v1 or v2 formulas), I have the impression that an NPK of 10-6-17 really isn't going to be ideal for flowering something more sativa-dominant/sub-tropical? I thought about getting Greenleaf's 2-part nutes - which come as a 5-12-26 and a 15.5-0-0 - and mixing in the extra nitrogen only if needed? Apologies for what may be foolish questions; I started as an all-organic soil grower, so I'm still a newbie when it comes to working with salts.

Any input is appreciated!

Koondense

Veteran
The 15-0-0 is calcium nitrate, so i would use both parts in 1:1 and follow the plants response, when there's excess N just reduce the b part like 2:1.
Happy growing!

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Oh, go back to soil! For these sativas you really want to go with organic soil and keep it simple...just my two cents...sativas can be very fussy and they don't want a lot of nitrogen. I have a hard time dialing it back enough to keep them happy and that's just with slow organic inputs.

Humple W.

Oh, go back to soil! For these sativas you really want to go with organic soil and keep it simple...just my two cents...sativas can be very fussy and they don't want a lot of nitrogen. I have a hard time dialing it back enough to keep them happy and that's just with slow organic inputs.

I hear ya, but unfortunately, my current circumstances prevent me from growing in soil. The tents are now in the bedroom, and the wife doesn't want dirt in the bedroom. Reasonable, to be sure, but it did mean I had to change methods. I'm just making the best of it until I can get a proper grow room built, at which time I intend on a couple of no-till beds. Really looking forward to getting back to organics!

Humple W.

Happy wife = happy life, haha...carry on man. :)

Indeed! Keeping your little lady happy is an art in itself, but one well worth the practice required to accomplish it! This is our 20th year of marriage, and I still haven't fully figured her out!

Here's a beautiful baby Tikal, freshly sprouted in one of my 32 ounce mini-hempy buckets. I'll be transplanting to 2 gallon buckets later on.
PXL_20210429_232259583.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Humple W. :) Cute baby! :) Is regular or fem ?

I would recommend you to use more balanced NPK ratios with the feeding of more sensible sativa strains, and be very careful to don't exceed with the EC ....
I'm a full time organic grower so if you ask me, i would grow the delicate sativas in soil, unless the soil could create problems with others at home.

Okay, my Tikal and Thai Chi came in a week or two ago, and two days ago I finally made up my mind and decided to start with two Tikal (leaving the Thai Chi for a later time, as I already have KA5H headed for another tent, and I just don't have the space to grow everything!)...

I would love to hear some opinions/tips/experiences on feeding her? At present I only have a 1-part nutrient on hand (Mega Crop v3), and though it has performed well with most hybrid/indica-dominant strains I've grown (it's a million times better than their v1 or v2 formulas), I have the impression that an NPK of 10-6-17 really isn't going to be ideal for flowering something more sativa-dominant/sub-tropical? I thought about getting Greenleaf's 2-part nutes - which come as a 5-12-26 and a 15.5-0-0 - and mixing in the extra nitrogen only if needed? Apologies for what may be foolish questions; I started as an all-organic soil grower, so I'm still a newbie when it comes to working with salts.

Any input is appreciated!

Humple W.

Hi Humple W. :) Cute baby! :) Is regular or fem ?

I would recommend you to use more balanced NPK ratios with the feeding of more sensible sativa strains, and be very careful to don't exceed with the EC ....
I'm a full time organic grower so if you ask me, i would grow the delicate sativas in soil, unless the soil could create problems with others at home.

Thanks, Dubi! She's a fem seed.

Due to various reasons, I had to relocate our grow tents to our bedroom, but on the agreement I wouldn't be bringing soil in. Unfortunately, that's an unavoidable situation for the time being, but I do have approval from the wife to build a proper grow room in the basement - it's just going to be a while yet before I have the funds. But there's no doubt I'm looking forward to going back to soil! I enjoy growing in the hempy buckets, but it's just not the same as all-organic. Nonetheless, I decided that I wasn't going to let this challenge prevent me from at least attempting to grow the strains that I find intriguing, exciting, and compelling, and right now, that means Ace sativas! I'll probably fuck it up, but even that isn't so bad, as I can take it as a learning experience!

I just ordered up the 2-part Mega Crop, so hopefully that will give me the NPK ratio control that I need. We'll find out!

Thanks again!