What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Haze x Malawi

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Hehe, that certainly has a familiar ring to it...way too many seeds and never enough time or space to satisfy all of my curiosity...I like your advice though to take some cuts and then see if any are worth running again. I'm soft hearted though and hate trashing any plant, so I will end up flowering it even if I wasn't wild about the weed.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hehe, that certainly has a familiar ring to it...way too many seeds and never enough time or space to satisfy all of my curiosity...I like your advice though to take some cuts and then see if any are worth running again. I'm soft hearted though and hate trashing any plant, so I will end up flowering it even if I wasn't wild about the weed.

Recipe for 'not so goodness' grows. You'll get over the soft heart..
yield, taste and potency.. ya can not run them all I'm afraid to say but good luck trying.:plant grow:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I'm at the 9 week mark right now. She still has no aromas to speak of, but she continues to crank out the pistils and put on weight. Getting a lot more trichomes forming now too. I'm concerned at how pale she is though, very light green now and starting to yellow on the lower fans. So this morning I decided to pull the old up pot trick and give her some fresh soil. She went from a two gallon to three gallon pot basically. I've never actually tried this before since I usually run shorter flowering strains, but I figure if I want this one to go another 1-2 months I better see if I can give her a boost.

OZZ_

Veteran
I'm at the 9 week mark right now. She still has no aromas to speak of, but she continues to crank out the pistils and put on weight. Getting a lot more trichomes forming now too. I'm concerned at how pale she is though, very light green now and starting to yellow on the lower fans. So this morning I decided to pull the old up pot trick and give her some fresh soil. She went from a two gallon to three gallon pot basically. I've never actually tried this before since I usually run shorter flowering strains, but I figure if I want this one to go another 1-2 months I better see if I can give her a boost.

Hey Texas! Try the biobizz line. I understand this may (or may not be) your type of growing style but I use an organic amended soil and Based on recommendations from Dubi and others around here I’ve found the biobizz bloom to be excellent at keeping that mid-flowering yellowing at bay while promoting great bud production.

Hit that girl at 2-3 ml/liter and that yellowing will stop and/or go away altogether and stay gone throughout flowering until it’s time to go water only and let them fade.

It’s an organic liquid nute, works really well for exactly the problem your having :tiphat:

OZZ_

Veteran

Whoops..... just saw you mention a page or so back that you were planning on hitting her with biobloom. HA! That’s what I get for skimming and posting.

Excellent job here TT and everyone else too :biggrin:

OZZ_

Veteran
Yeah, this is persistent problem...I do use the Biobloom, also a little fulvic, molasses, mammoth p, and top dress with castings. So maybe it's a calcium thing.

Interesting, could be. I know that since I have switched to distilled or RO water... with cal mag and biobloom mid flowering the yellowing issue has been eliminated. I start them off in amended organic soil... and at the first sign of yellowing mid flower I start hitting em with the bio bloom - it stops it in its tracks.

Not to say I haven’t had other issues though lol (Last run the Tikal x Honduras clawed up bad on me from underestimating nitrogen sensitivity, etc), but the premature yellowing problem I had previously seems to have been cured.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Hey Texas! Try the biobizz line. I understand this may (or may not be) your type of growing style but I use an organic amended soil and Based on recommendations from Dubi and others around here I’ve found the biobizz bloom to be excellent at keeping that mid-flowering yellowing at bay while promoting great bud production.

Hit that girl at 2-3 ml/liter and that yellowing will stop and/or go away altogether and stay gone throughout flowering until it’s time to go water only and let them fade.

It’s an organic liquid nute, works really well for exactly the problem your having :tiphat:

Curious about your amended soil + biobizz. Can you elaborate?

OZZ_

Veteran
Curious about your amended soil + biobizz. Can you elaborate?

Hey bud, how’s it going!?? Well, it’s not an exact science by any means and I certainly have a lot more dialing in needed but I think I’m getting close to dialing in *my* method and really finding my groove.

I have been starting with basically a super soil recipe but I go much lighter on the amendments than most recipes call for. When I would try to use the full blown “start to finish”-“water only” mixes all that would happen is I’d get burned plants.... no matter how long I let the soil *cook* for.

Furthermore, no matter the amendment amounts, the mix would still wear out at some point throughout flowering and I’d find I’d get premature yellowing. Almost like if I added more amendments upfront, all it would do is make the initial mix hotter, but yet it didn’t last any longer during flowering (at least not significantly longer).

So I’ve been dialing back my amendments in the starting mix, as well as reducing my expectations of what I want the mix to do.

Now I’m only looking for my mix to get the plant through veg, and into early flowering. Anywhere from 2-5 weeks into flowering depending on the plant and it’s feeding needs. As mentioned above, as soon as I see premature yellowing I start in with the biobizz bloom at a light dose of 2ml/liter, then slowly ramp it up while watching the plant to see how well it tolerates it. Maxing out at 4 ml/liter if it’s a heavy feeder and can take it. So flowering is solely relying on the biobizz bloom and whatever amendments are left in the mix.

My initial mix consists simply of promix and around 20-30% of EWC by total volume.

To every 5 gallons of that mix I only add about 1/4 - 1/2 a cup of dried amendments depending on what I’m growing and how sensitive the strain is. The amendments consist of equal parts crab shell meal, kelp meal and epsoma tomato tone. I do add some azomite for minerals, and lime for PH control. Probably 1/4-1/2 cup azomite per 5 gallons and 1-2tbs/gal lime.

Then of course I simply cut the biobizz bloom when it’s time to let the plant fade. Water only from there on out to finish. Might add some molasses in there around the time I cut the biobizz bloom.

Really that’s about it. A light soil mix upfront, rely on biobizz bloom to get the plant through flowering and to stop premature yellowing, then a bit of molasses and water only to chop. Water is RO with added cal mag.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Awesome. Thanks for that. I’m always trying new things for potted plants. For outdoors, I feel the super soil route plus just being in the dirt with no restrictions works pretty well. A sprinkle of organic granules here and there.

Hey bud, how’s it going!?? Well, it’s not an exact science by any means and I certainly have a lot more dialing in needed but I think I’m getting close to dialing in *my* method and really finding my groove.

I have been starting with basically a super soil recipe but I go much lighter on the amendments than most recipes call for. When I would try to use the full blown “start to finish”-“water only” mixes all that would happen is I’d get burned plants.... no matter how long I let the soil *cook* for.

Furthermore, no matter the amendment amounts, the mix would still wear out at some point throughout flowering and I’d find I’d get premature yellowing. Almost like if I added more amendments upfront, all it would do is make the initial mix hotter, but yet it didn’t last any longer during flowering (at least not significantly longer).

So I’ve been dialing back my amendments in the starting mix, as well as reducing my expectations of what I want the mix to do.

Now I’m only looking for my mix to get the plant through veg, and into early flowering. Anywhere from 2-5 weeks into flowering depending on the plant and it’s feeding needs. As mentioned above, as soon as I see premature yellowing I start in with the biobizz bloom at a light dose of 2ml/liter, then slowly ramp it up while watching the plant to see how well it tolerates it. Maxing out at 4 ml/liter if it’s a heavy feeder and can take it. So flowering is solely relying on the biobizz bloom and whatever amendments are left in the mix.

My initial mix consists simply of promix and around 20-30% of EWC by total volume.

To every 5 gallons of that mix I only add about 1/4 - 1/2 a cup of dried amendments depending on what I’m growing and how sensitive the strain is. The amendments consist of equal parts crab shell meal, kelp meal and epsoma tomato tone. I do add some azomite for minerals, and lime for PH control. Probably 1/4-1/2 cup azomite per 5 gallons and 1-2tbs/gal lime.

Then of course I simply cut the biobizz bloom when it’s time to let the plant fade. Water only from there on out to finish. Might add some molasses in there around the time I cut the biobizz bloom.

Really that’s about it. A light soil mix upfront, rely on biobizz bloom to get the plant through flowering and to stop premature yellowing, then a bit of molasses and water only to chop. Water is RO with added cal mag.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
That's basically what I've been doing. I have several different types of rock dust that I add, plus Super Char, Millipoo, lobster meal, fish meal, fish bone meal, oyster shell flour, kelp meal, etc. All in small amounts.I like a mix of drainage too, like perlite, rice hulls and pumice. Usually clover on top so she has a bush, hate them bare ones.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Week 12. She was flagging so I repotted two weeks and gave her a little fresh soil to work with. Seems to be doing pretty well and putting on the frost. Some subtle sweet aromas now finally...I am surprised that she is so bushy and manageable...saved a cut of this one.

Attachments

• photo2025911.jpg
    photo2025911.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 88
  • photo2025912.jpg
    photo2025912.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 87

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Week 12. She was flagging so I repotted two weeks ago and gave her a little fresh soil to work with. Seems to be doing pretty well and putting on the frost. Some subtle sweet aromas now finally...I am surprised that she is so bushy and manageable...saved a cut of this one.

Attachments

• photo2025911.jpg
    photo2025911.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 49
  • photo2025912.jpg
    photo2025912.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 47

Pédetoddy

(Purple HazexMalawi) x Ayahuasca Purple

Attachments

• photo2031385.jpg
    photo2031385.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 51
  • photo2031386.jpg
    photo2031386.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2031387.jpg
    photo2031387.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 60
  • photo2031388.jpg
    photo2031388.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 55

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi TexasTea, i think she probably got rootbound and then the health problems start to eventually increase. I can also see some burnt tips of the leaves, usually a sign of excessive feeding and/or heat .... but nothing like a good repot to fix previous feeding problems ;)

I like a lot her structure and the way you tamed her, well done! Oldtimer's Haze and Malawi are not smelly strains, not even in flowering. Those pompons look adorable, excellent flower/leaf ratio i would say.

Nice Pédetoddy :) Still looking quite on the sativa side! Best wishes with this guerrilla cycle.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Four months to the day of flowering...I have taken a few branches over the past weeks. Ready to take her down. She smells like incense and wood....

16179726027922522191436223270532.jpg

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Four months to the day of flowering...I have taken a few branches over the past weeks. Ready to take her down. She smells like incense and wood.... EDIT: BTW well done..

120 days bloom.. Thats a 'BLOOMIN' a long time. 4 months bloom due to what influences? Trichome colors? Stop producing flowers? What?

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
LOL, yeah quite a while. I'm running 12/12 so that's one reason. I haven't looked at trichomes this week but last I looked they were cloudy. This plant could probably go longer but the aromas seem very nice right now and have definitely increased the past couple of weeks. Seems to be at a peak.